IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission problems

Old 10-19-15, 05:50 AM
krsin9753
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

I have a 2015 IS250 Base with TRANNY PROBLEMS

After 185 miles on the vehicle, I reported the problem to Lexus and the Tech that test drove with me said I was hearing things. Apparently there was a humming noise coming from the transmission.

The noise became evident and consistent, took it back in again, the Tech says its normal and DI engines make a lot of noise.

After six months and 2700 miles the noise became annoying, Tech said they will look into it and confirmed it is unusual. Test drove about 5 other new 2015, used 2014's and no humming noise present.

Engineers made two trips over a five week period from Cali. They changed the alternator, which at first they thought was the problem, then they started looking at the fuel pump on the engine, then they swapped out a tranny from a loaner and the noise disappeared. They took out the loaner tranny and ordered a new tranny and installed it.

CONCLUSION: I am pissed that they dropped the ball, reported the problem with 185 miles, they ignored the problem, and I have submitted for a buyback from Lexus. I really like the car but feel that it has been violated and the integrity had diminished.

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-15, 06:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Sorry about your troubles. This is a very rare issue even for the Lexus techs which is why they probably misdiagnosed it the first time. Not sure if they will take it back as it was a warranty repair, and if they don't, don't sweat it and I hope you can enjoy it. Good luck!
Old 10-19-15, 11:42 AM
BlkFSport
Driver School Candidate

I think you're over-reacting just a little bit here. You have to realize how many service requests they probably get that are related to "unusual noises" from paranoid customers. At the end of the day, albeit a little later than you would've liked, they resolved the issue by fixing your transmission. Also, how many times total did you take your car in for this issue? Did it also change how the car drove? Just curious and would like to see if the noise issue translated to a mechanical issue with the transmission.

I know Lexus customer service is supposed to be top-notch, but not sure if they'll agree to the buyback.
Old 10-19-15, 12:23 PM
krsin9753
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlkFSport
I think you're over-reacting just a little bit here. You have to realize how many service requests they probably get that are related to "unusual noises" from paranoid customers. At the end of the day, albeit a little later than you would've liked, they resolved the issue by fixing your transmission. Also, how many times total did you take your car in for this issue? Did it also change how the car drove? Just curious and would like to see if the noise issue translated to a mechanical issue with the transmission.

I know Lexus customer service is supposed to be top-notch, but not sure if they'll agree to the buyback.
THANKS,
I took the vehicle in four times until it was resolved. It actually drives/shift the same as before, no issues there. I'll just wait and see what the results are.
Old 10-19-15, 12:32 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A fresh IS is sleeping without the gearbox at my local Lexus dealer - waiting for the technical expertise and shipping a new box from Japan. So krsin9753's case is not an extraordinary one. But we should be happy because it's a rare one for Lexus indeed, unlike Audi for example )
Old 10-19-15, 12:37 PM
BlkFSport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Imprezario
A fresh IS is sleeping without the gearbox at my local Lexus dealer - waiting for the technical expertise and shipping a new box from Japan. So krsin9753's case is not an extraordinary one. But we should be happy because it's a rare one for Lexus indeed, unlike Audi for example )
Can't agree with you more. I'm not going to lie, I miss the peppiness of my GTI and driving under boost, but not having to worry about all these little issues gives you a peace of mind.
Old 10-19-15, 01:13 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

here's a little tangent, but 6 months and under 3k miles? you're really babying her. go enjoy what she has to offer!