IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS300t for 2017?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 11:47 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IS300t for 2017?!

So I read the article on Lexus discontinuing the V8's and moving into the forced induction realm for the F models. Does this mean the 3.5 will get an update next? I would be super stoked for a 3.0 twin turbo 300t. 340hp and 360tq would be a nice replacement for the current 350. One would think Lexus has to move in this direction to stay competitive. I believe BMW is coming out with a 340 that cranks those type of numbers. Anyone have any insider info on this?
Old 10-10-15, 11:49 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

340 been out for three months go to www.bimmerfest.com and read the reviews,
the new inline 6 turbo is off the charts good handling has also been drastically improved to up the segment
Old 10-10-15, 11:52 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by ls430lover
340 been out for three months go to www.bimmerfest.com and read the reviews,
the new inline 6 turbo is off the charts good handling has also been drastically improved to up the segment
All the more reason Lexus needs the 300t!! Thanks for the info but I was referring to insider info on the 300t, not the BMW.
Old 10-10-15, 11:54 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

no info on it, but when it comes out will be a year and half behind the germans as usual
the 340 motor released is best in breed and will be for years
Old 10-10-15, 01:50 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're hopeful that we will ever bring out something that truly competes with the latest and greatest from Germany (at least in a performance aspect) you will always be disappointed with Lexus. This brand isn't about setting a benchmark (outside of the LFA), it's about seeing what the Germans have done and then quietly standing right in their shadow. Lexus will never be the company that casts the performance shadow on anyone from Bavaria.
Old 10-10-15, 02:15 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesnt really matter though does it? We buy these cars as they do things right that Bavaria can't eg reliability for a start
Old 10-10-15, 03:33 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrDDay
If you're hopeful that we will ever bring out something that truly competes with the latest and greatest from Germany (at least in a performance aspect) you will always be disappointed with Lexus. This brand isn't about setting a benchmark (outside of the LFA), it's about seeing what the Germans have done and then quietly standing right in their shadow. Lexus will never be the company that casts the performance shadow on anyone from Bavaria.
No. That's not what I'm hoping for. If I wanted bmw performance I would have bought a bmw. I'm just hoping for a turbo upgrade for the 3xx base since the current engine is becoming less relevant. Hopefully someone on this forum has some insight.
Old 10-10-15, 04:07 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Doesnt really matter though does it? We buy these cars as they do things right that Bavaria can't eg reliability for a start
Absolutely.

Lexus has it's market. The smart money buys Lexus and almost undoubtedly always will. Reliability, cost of ownership and dealer experience are things that Lexus consistently dominates the market in and are the qualities that Lexus' focus are really on. They come out with mediocre performance offerings because that isn't what sells for them. Lexus' main customer base isn't pining for more power. The 2 highest volume vehicles for the brand actually use the 3.5L in a detuned form.

We will likely see a lot more of what they are doing (putting under powered engine packages into already marginally powered cars) before we will see them do anything like putting a V6T or TT into anything resembling mass production. They use the 3.5 for the same reason they have always used naturally aspirated engines in all of their cars, for the simple fact that it is smooth linear power that gives them the quiet comfort they are out to achieve (and a majority of their elderly customers love).

It should be fairly easy to see that their priority is opening up their market to younger and less affluent buyers. The strategy of adding mostly to the bottom of your ranges without true halo cars at the top should tell us all we need to know. While they want to be able to attract more youthful customers and create brand loyalty in these new customers, youth is also very idealistic. They want to be able to say "When I start making $XXX,XXX a year, I'm buying one of those." At all the other brands, one of "Those" is an AMG, M, S R or RS.
Old 10-10-15, 04:10 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Originally Posted by nixx621
No. That's not what I'm hoping for. If I wanted bmw performance I would have bought a bmw. I'm just hoping for a turbo upgrade for the 3xx base since the current engine is becoming less relevant. Hopefully someone on this forum has some insight.
You're going to see a performance hybrid from them long before you see an uprated turbo 6.
Old 10-10-15, 06:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 484 Likes on 321 Posts

I test drove the IS200t overseas recently, and I'm glad they've used much more insulation than the dreadful NX200t.
I still find the IS200t not as smooth and quiet on open throttle as a BMW four cylinder turbo, let alone the Benz four cylinder turbo.

However, I am confident that Lexus' four cylinder turbo will improve in leaps and bounds over the next several years, and possibly overtake the German four cylinder turbos.

The German and Japanese personalities are different.
They are both equally good, but in different ways.
They have different strengths and weaknesses.
The Japanese personality, and the market for Lexus is not interested in 0-60 in 5.2 aka the E400.
0-60 in 5.7 with solid long term reliability is what the Japanese, and what the market wants.

For the short term flash in the pan, and innovation, go German.
For the long term safe bet, and refinement, go Japanese.
They say the Germans are good at innovation, while the Japanese are good at refining those innovations.

Given some time, the Jap four cylinder turbos will possibly clobber the German turbos, just like the Lexus V6's clobber the E350 and 535i atmospheric six cylinder engines.

However, the Japs do have their weaknesses.
Look at the styling of Japanese food, Japanese clothing, and Japanese housing.
That's why Japanese car styling tends to either be too conservative, or too radical like the forthcoming 2016 Honda Civic...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-10-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 08:04 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I test drove the IS200t overseas recently, and I'm glad they've used much more insulation than the dreadful NX200t.
I still find the IS200t not as smooth and quiet on open throttle as a BMW four cylinder turbo, let alone the Benz four cylinder turbo.

However, I am confident that Lexus' four cylinder turbo will improve in leaps and bounds over the next several years, and possibly overtake the German four cylinder turbos.

The German and Japanese personalities are different.
They are both equally good, but in different ways.
They have different strengths and weaknesses.
The Japanese personality, and the market for Lexus is not interested in 0-60 in 5.2 aka the E400.
0-60 in 5.7 with solid long term reliability is what the Japanese, and what the market wants.

For the short term flash in the pan, and innovation, go German.
For the long term safe bet, and refinement, go Japanese.
They say the Germans are good at innovation, while the Japanese are good at refining those innovations.

Given some time, the Jap four cylinder turbos will possibly clobber the German turbos, just like the Lexus V6's clobber the E350 and 535i atmospheric six cylinder engines.

However, the Japs do have their weaknesses.
Look at the styling of Japanese food, Japanese clothing, and Japanese housing.
That's why Japanese car styling tends to either be too conservative, or too radical like the forthcoming 2016 Honda Civic...

If that is the new Civic, I actually like the styling. It does not look to radical for me.
Old 10-11-15, 02:52 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

be careful with honda pics you might get punished and scolded to stay on topic