IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

200T Turbo on IS 350 F Sport???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 07:13 PM
UltraLexxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 200T Turbo on IS 350 F Sport???

Anyone know if it would be possible to throw the new 200T Turbo on an IS 350 F? Looking for a little extra power and from what I have read the engines are pretty similar. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-15, 07:39 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im noft quite sure why you'd want to do that considering the 350 engine provides better numbers. I don't think you'll have an issue bolting the engine in, but the electronics my be the problem.
Old 10-04-15, 09:05 AM
Rob360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Im noft quite sure why you'd want to do that considering the 350 engine provides better numbers. I don't think you'll have an issue bolting the engine in, but the electronics my be the problem.
I think he means he wants to take the turbo used on the 200T and add it to the V6?

Otherwise you are correct, makes no sense to replace the V6 with a less powerful motor.
Old 10-04-15, 09:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLexxx
Anyone know if it would be possible to throw the new 200T Turbo on an IS 350 F? Looking for a little extra power and from what I have read the engines are pretty similar. Any thoughts?
Engines are not similar. One is an inline 4 and the other a V6. Better to get after market turbo.
Old 10-04-15, 09:17 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

hmm it's an interesting proposition, but i'm sure only people at Lexus know the answer at this point seeing as how the car just came out. And while the 2.5 might have been closely related to the 3.5, who knows about the IS200T's 2.0L? My guess is that a 2.0L exhaust manifold and turbo won't be a direct fit on the 3.5L engine. And if those don't fit, you might as well get a custom turbo kit because that's the majority of the fab work in a turbo kit anyway.

Last edited by CLUM; 10-05-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 11:06 AM
UltraLexxx
Driver School Candidate

ofcourse i meant just the turbo. whats a good place to buy aftermarket turbo then?
Old 10-04-15, 12:18 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Garrett, Precision, turbotecnics are popular brands.

However you would need much much more to make a full kit. For starters, you'll need a custom exhaust manifold, custom downpipe, intercooler, custom intercooler piping, BOV, bigger injectors and some sort of fuel management, oil and coolant lines, etc.
Old 10-04-15, 12:26 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I seriously doubt it's possible, and i'm quite certain it's a terrible idea, to try and shoehorn a single turbocharger designed for the airflow of a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine onto a 3.5 liter V6 engine. Even if it were possible to fit only one turbo on this V6, if it were possible to somehow custom manufacture headers and all the plumbing to route the exhaust gases around from one side of the engine to the turbo, and the need for an intercooler and all the PVC or aluminum plumbing to route fresh air around, and squeeze all that under the hood, and not to mention what the extra PSI would do to an already high compression engine, and the fact that you can't even reprogram the car's computer because its encrypted, and how can a tiny little turbo like that handle a nearly 200% increase in exhaust flow, it would probably seriously bottleneck your whole engine and maybe even destroy it. In my opinion, it is not reasonable to expect you can ever put any kind of turbo, or turbos, onto this 3.5 liter engine. It seems terribly unwise to even try. Sorry for raining on the parade. The 3.5 liter V6 is awsome enough as it stands, IMHO. With kind regards,
Old 10-04-15, 04:18 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

And to add what VTsuchah and Machine13 said, you'd need all those parts they mentioned and also need some type of electronic boost controller. Just to start you'd have to map the entire engine (like stillen did for their supercharger project) first just to see where everything would mount and fit, which can be expensive, then get all the parts, most of which would be custom made, so a performance shop would have to do it for you most likely. You could spend 10-20K on the R&D. Best bet for more power is to get the Stillen supercharger once it's ready. They have been working on it for a few months now and my guess is it'll be a year at least before we see anything.
Old 10-04-15, 08:06 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Forgot to add, if you want to add probably 25-30 more HP get the JoeZ cat back exhaust or ARC cat back exhaust, JoeZ intake or F-Sport intake, and the PPE headers. Should cost you about $2500-$2800.
Old 10-05-15, 11:12 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rex2lex
And to add what VTsuchah and Machine13 said, you'd need all those parts they mentioned and also need some type of electronic boost controller. Just to start you'd have to map the entire engine (like stillen did for their supercharger project) first just to see where everything would mount and fit, which can be expensive, then get all the parts, most of which would be custom made, so a performance shop would have to do it for you most likely. You could spend 10-20K on the R&D. Best bet for more power is to get the Stillen supercharger once it's ready. They have been working on it for a few months now and my guess is it'll be a year at least before we see anything.
We actually looked in to doing a turbo kit. We determined the cost would end up being higher than most people would want to pay and there would probably be a lot of cooling issues.

I don't know when we will be releasing the supercharger kit. We are still in development but we should be releasing more updates in the next week.
Old 10-05-15, 06:22 PM
UltraLexxx
Driver School Candidate

I already have Cat back exhaust and injen air intake. Helped a bunch. I need to look into those headers. Just looking for a little bit extra. Love the car and engine, its just missing some against competitors.
Old 10-06-15, 08:35 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLexxx
I already have Cat back exhaust and injen air intake. Helped a bunch. I need to look into those headers. Just looking for a little bit extra. Love the car and engine, its just missing some against competitors.

Old 10-14-15, 10:10 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN

Bhahaha! I'm am really looking forward to this kit! I really want to get in on a group buy or an initial release deal. Keep us posted Mark! =)
Old 10-14-15, 10:32 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by STILLEN

Silly general question

Is it possible to modify a 2015 is250 engine and put in a turbo ? Would this not diminish the life of the engine? would this be complicated to do (not a DIY)? does this have to be done when the engine is new or can it be done later on? What price ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 200T Turbo on IS 350 F Sport???