Taller Tires on Stock Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 10:30 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Taller Tires on Stock Rims

Hi everyone,

So, I’ve got the F-Sport rims and like them just fine. Not looking to spend the money to replace the rims with bigger ones.

What I am considering though is putting taller tires, when the time comes, for the purpose of improved ride quality and looks. I’m thinking that taller tires will fill the wheel wells a bit more, heighten the stance a tad bit, and look a bit beefier, and that the ride may become slightly smoother over the rough roads in Miami.

With respect to overall effect on gas mileage, I figure it may be a bit of a wash. I hear that since taller tires weigh slightly more that can cause the engine to have to work a bit harder to get their rotation going. In city driving, this may result in slightly decreased MPG’s. But once the heavier tire’s inertia is up, plus considering the larger diameter of the tire, gas mileage may improve slightly especially at highway speeds.

So, does anyone have any experience substituting for taller tires or have any thoughts or recommendations on the matter? If you did use taller tires on stock rims, what size did you go with?

Stock tires are: Front 225/40R18 – Rear 255/35R18

I’m considering Front: 225/45R18 – Rear 255/40R18

Also, what about it's affect on using the spare tire? Can people with taller wheels still use the spare on any of the four corners, and without damaging the differential in the back?

Thank you,
Old 10-01-15, 10:43 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Start here

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/
Old 10-01-15, 10:48 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

you bring up some good points, but some are off.

as far as going to a bigger tire, your gas mileage will be affected. just because someone goes to a bigger wheel and lower series tires, that doesn't mean it's comparable to the stock set up respectively. I have 19's and they are lighter than the stock 18" wheels. with the tire size that I have, the over all difference in size does not affect my mileage in a negative way. the speed reading is off by less than 1 mph. going to bigger tires on stock rims will affect speedometer reading as well. though going to bigger tires will fill tire gap, I don't think it'll look any better...but that's my opinion. the spare is only a donut and isn't meant for long term driving. should only be used long enough to get a shop; shouldn't go over 50 mph or so...maybe even less.
Old 10-01-15, 11:34 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Instead of going up in the aspect ratio, go up in the width. That'll make the overall height slightly taller and it won't make much difference on the speedo.

For example, a 225/40/19 is 26" tall. A 235/40/19 is 26.4" tall

If you went to a 225/45/19 it would be 27" tall. That might be a bit much IMO.
Old 10-01-15, 03:36 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best way to improve ride quality is to replace our ultra high performance tires with grand touring tires. Probably better mpg too.
Old 10-01-15, 06:23 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noeh
Best way to improve ride quality is to replace our ultra high performance tires with grand touring tires. Probably better mpg too.
What's wrong with the ride quality? Compared to my old 335i, my IS 350 is ultra smooth and quiet. Even when in S+ mode, the ride is firm and planted but never harsh or crashy. In contrast, my 335i would bump and bang over every little crack in the road.

I live in Philly, home to some of the worst roads in the country. They are crumbling and when the fix them, the patches are never smooth either. Yet the IS 350 doesn't a great job isolating me from all the harsh stuff without feeling totally disconnected from the road.

What tire pressure are you running?
Old 10-01-15, 08:22 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
What's wrong with the ride quality? Compared to my old 335i, my IS 350 is ultra smooth and quiet. Even when in S+ mode, the ride is firm and planted but never harsh or crashy. In contrast, my 335i would bump and bang over every little crack in the road.

I live in Philly, home to some of the worst roads in the country. They are crumbling and when the fix them, the patches are never smooth either. Yet the IS 350 doesn't a great job isolating me from all the harsh stuff without feeling totally disconnected from the road.

What tire pressure are you running?
The OP wants to improve ride quality. I know the suspension in the 3IS is well balanced, but tires still make a noticeable difference.
Old 10-02-15, 07:25 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

you'll rub when turning....I tried that for my winter tires....no good...had to get the stock tire sizes
Old 10-02-15, 08:47 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Thanks for this link, the Tire Size Comparison calculator is neat.

Now I know going from the 35R18's to 40R18's is about a 1" increase in tire diameter and about 3.8% decrease in tire revolutions per mile. Neat info.
Old 10-02-15, 10:07 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

The OP wants to improve ride quality. I know the suspension in the 3IS is well balanced, but tires still make a noticeable difference.
Perhaps he might consider just lowering his tire pressure a bit. The door jam says 36 PSI on all corners (measured cold). I tend to run 36-38, depending on ambient temps. The ride is definitely smoother at lower PSI in the 32-34 range.

Might be worth a shot before messing with the tire size.
Old 10-02-15, 10:35 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know that. I looked up several models of grand touring tires and also found this nice short article that summarizes the benefits and helped me to understand better how tread pattern designs can affect acoustics.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...quietest-tires
Old 10-02-15, 10:39 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
you'll rub when turning....I tried that for my winter tires....no good...had to get the stock tire sizes
Interesting, do you really think a 1/2" increase in tire radius might cause rubbing when using stock rims and suspension? Hmmm, I'd be astounded if it caused rubbing.
Old 10-02-15, 10:46 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Right, my IS 350 is the nicest, smoothest and quietest car I've ever owned. No qualms at all. But the roads around my work are so rough, even a Lexus suspension gets banged around a lot.

My goal is to improve the ride-smoothness from awesome to ludicrous, if it's possible.
Old 10-02-15, 10:54 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Perhaps he might consider just lowering his tire pressure a bit. The door jam says 36 PSI on all corners (measured cold). I tend to run 36-38, depending on ambient temps. The ride is definitely smoother at lower PSI in the 32-34 range.

Might be worth a shot before messing with the tire size.
Thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense regarding softening the ride, but I guess may cause slightly more noise and worse MPG's. I keep my tires at 36 PSI (cold) and would rather run the tires within their recommended spec I'd think. When the time comes to replace my tires I want to get ones that achieve as soft a ride as I can find.
Old 10-02-15, 11:00 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input fellas... Learned something today... I'm going to do a bit of tire shopping now...

Quick Reply: Taller Tires on Stock Rims