IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 03:26 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toh
I personally think MSS is just brand name premium. I was wondering between the Continental DW or Hankook V12.. Any inputs?
I don't think you can go wrong for a daily driver, both are solid tires. I've personally had PSS, V12s, RS3s, and now RE-11's. All have been nice, but they're each aimed at slightly different buyers (budget, performance, longevity, etc). If there's a rebate available for one and not the other I would probably go with the rebate offering.

Again, don't count out the other tire makers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc. Max performance, performance all-season, or another category would suffice depending on your needs. PSS is a high performance tire which most people don't need honestly. Its a step below the extreme summer tires. Just because it's recommended on forums doesn't mean it fits your driving style, because in the end you ARE paying for that performance whether you use/need it or not.

My advice is: Watch for rebates!
Old 10-02-15, 03:37 PM
Toh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
I don't think you can go wrong for a daily driver, both are solid tires. I've personally had PSS, V12s, RS3s, and now RE-11's. All have been nice, but they're each aimed at slightly different buyers (budget, performance, longevity, etc). If there's a rebate available for one and not the other I would probably go with the rebate offering.

Again, don't count out the other tire makers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc. Max performance, performance all-season, or another category would suffice depending on your needs. PSS is a high performance tire which most people don't need honestly. Its a step below the extreme summer tires. Just because it's recommended on forums doesn't mean it fits your driving style, because in the end you ARE paying for that performance whether you use/need it or not.

My advice is: Watch for rebates!
Thanks for the advice! Price is the biggest factor~
Old 10-02-15, 03:47 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes watch for rebates. I will be trying a new (to me brand) for my winter tires because i missed out on the bridgestone and michelin rebates. Although the Dunlop 4D's supposedly are very good in the snow too.
Old 10-03-15, 09:44 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toh
Thanks for the advice! Price is the biggest factor~
If price is the biggest factor, yet you wan a quality tire, check out Continental DWS06's....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=18&zip-code=

I have recently put them on an Audi A7, S4, Benz CLK 430, Acura TL, and my daughter's Subaru STi. Great all around tire with a 560 tread wear. Waiting on up sizes for my wife's IS, 235/40/18 and 265/35/18, which should be released any day.

Even the earlier version, the DWS, performed extremely well on a variety of cars. I am a Michelin fan, and love the PSS's, but not the best year round tire out there.
Old 10-03-15, 10:05 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
If price is the biggest factor, yet you wan a quality tire, check out Continental DWS06's....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=18&zip-code=

I have recently put them on an Audi A7, S4, Benz CLK 430, Acura TL, and my daughter's Subaru STi. Great all around tire with a 560 tread wear. Waiting on up sizes for my wife's IS, 235/40/18 and 265/35/18, which should be released any day.

Even the earlier version, the DWS, performed extremely well on a variety of cars. I am a Michelin fan, and love the PSS's, but not the best year round tire out there.
$70 rebate from Conti right now also....
Old 10-05-15, 02:20 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

NO OEM!!! lol

I havent driven on PSS so im not sure how they are, but i have heard nothing but good news about those tires. I went with Continental DW and i love them, im going with PSS on my next tires.

good luck
Old 10-05-15, 04:23 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Discount Tire Direct. Free shipping + debit card rebates, usually.
Old 10-05-15, 04:42 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. Got it. NO OEM.
Old 11-11-15, 11:00 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Which Michelin Pilots do people buy for their IS's? Lexus of Glendale has the Michelin Pilots 90Y at $226 a tire for the front and $298 per tire for rear. But it say's Ultra High Performance. Sears and other places actually indicate PS2 and so on. Buying tires is confusing. I usually trade my cars in before I need new tires. Not this time -- I'm keeping the IS for at least 5 years.

Here are the tires and prices, http://www.lexusofglendale.com/About...?p=dealer_tire

Thanks!

Last edited by Glashub; 11-11-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 01:46 PM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put new tires on my car. For me, it was a toss up between the Continental DWS 06's and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I went with the A/S 3's and I'm glad I did. The car feels like it's on rails and the steering response is fantastic. Was strongly considering the DWS 06's but decided not to after reading many reviews stating the sidewalls are relatively soft. Granted the snow traction isn't as good with the Michelins, but if you watch some demo videos of snow handling, the tires are capable in light/moderate snow conditions.
Old 11-11-15, 02:35 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks plastus. I'm in LA so all seasons aren't necessary. Want new shoes before El Nino hits. The penny test cover only half of Abe's head. I'm torn between the Hankook V12 Evo and the Michelin High Performance tire here, http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10.

I can get them here, http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp + $17.32 per tire shipping for a total of 892.44 + installation or I can get them for $984 from America's Tire Store with everything included. Best price I can find. C&D said the Hanooks felt soft but really aren't.

Last edited by Glashub; 11-11-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 02:55 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
Thanks plastus. I'm in LA so all seasons aren't necessary. Want new shoes before El Nino hits. The penny test cover only half of Abe's head. I'm torn between the Hankook V12 Evo and the Michelin High Performance tire here, http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10.

I can get them here, http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp + $17.32 per tire shipping for a total of 892.44 + installation or I can get them for $984 from America's Tire Store with everything included. Best price I can find. C&D said the Hanooks felt soft but really aren't.
If the prices are the same then PSS gets the vote between those two. However, if there's a significant price difference than the decision is a little harder. I had and liked both the V12's and PSS's (different cars though, M3 and S2000). The V12's offer slightly less performance than PSS but both are great for daily duty above 40deg.F. PSS might last longer but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 11-11-15, 03:05 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

@EXSRAaron the Hanooks are $577 for the staggered 4 as opposed $822 for the Michelin's. The prices do not include shipping or installation. A $245 difference. Could use the money for other things if they are close performance wise.
Old 11-12-15, 06:23 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
@EXSRAaron the Hanooks are $577 for the staggered 4 as opposed $822 for the Michelin's. The prices do not include shipping or installation. A $245 difference. Could use the money for other things if they are close performance wise.
I would buy the pss even if they cost 1000$. Unfortunately, in my country they cost 2500$, so I wouldn't pay that for any tire except slicks. The best thing about the pss is that they are good performance tires and they are quite for DD.
Old 11-12-15, 06:46 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMNss
I would buy the pss even if they cost 1000$. Unfortunately, in my country they cost 2500$, so I wouldn't pay that for any tire except slicks. The best thing about the pss is that they are good performance tires and they are quite for DD.
I agree. I was riding my bike and I thought, "I paid 45K for a car and I'm gonna cut corners on the tires over $245?" Seems kind of stupid. FYI here is the best review of the Hanooks I could find. He shows how the soft sidewall beats up the tire and shortens it's life --

"Published on Jul 3, 2012
This is a review of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 tires. These tires are marketed as "Ultra High" or "Maximum" performance summer tires with a Z speed rating. They are good highway tires offering a quiet ride that is softer / more comfortable but their performance suffers significantly once you expose them to weight transitions as occur in spirited or aggressive driving. The sidewall is too soft and allows too much flex. Bottom line; These are not representative of the industry standard Z rating."

Quick Reply: Time for new tires