IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

drifting in your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 05:26 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

r0shiro- FYI, the 2016 RC200t F-Sport and RC350 F-Sport will finally have a Limited Slip differential available as an option and if the differential housing is compatible between the IS and RC platform (which I'm assuming it is), you might not have to wait for Cusco to develop an LSD.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...?view_id=43785 (First paragraph)
Old 10-05-15, 07:55 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
not easy...but it's possible. i would say with practice it would become predictable.
car: 3rd gen IS350 F-Sport slightly modified...

things to do...
  • harder compound tires
  • modify the foot e-brake (easy to do and undo)
  • put the car in whatever that testing mode they call it (the pedal dance)
  • keep an eye on your revs and shift appropriately
  • you dont NEED an LSD but it would make it easier and the car would be more consistent and more predictable.

I was at the balcony at willow springs in California a few weeks back and let it go...unfortunately i was not setup up properly...(first time drifting and i didnt do my research). lets start with the tires...i brought toyo R888 all around...lol. bad idea. they were like gum out there. we also have a foot e-brake that engages once its pressed it and doesnt come back out until you press it again. the other issue was traction/stability control which will reengage once you go past 30MPH. and lastly the LSD...if you are not balancing the left turns from the right turns, you'll just eat one tire.

i was fortunate to have with me long time ex pro drifter Taka Aono at the scene. He looked at my car and "modified" it for the day.

1) "ohhh...R888...not good tire for today" - Taka Aono. lol...he was right. i was trying half the day to get that car to just whip around and nothing doin...tires are great for grip events but not for drifting. so what did he do? he pumped up the rear tires to 75psi. i freaked out and asked the master if this was safe! haha...he said yes. "dont worry...i have put up to 120psi on R888 before" yikes....but he was right. it felt like the rear was on ice everytime i turned the wheel. "next time just bring cheaper tires." and i will. now the trade off is, with a softer compound they'll heat up faster and stay hot AND thats where you get the obscene amounts of smoke. with the professional drift cars, because they have over 800hp, they use soft compound tires BECAUSE they actually need the grip. having good grip in the front makes it easier to direct the car where you want it to go but with our stock engines we can't get the rear to slip. with the pro cars, they have no issues losing grip with those r-comps. but with our low hp engines, we're better off with hard compound tires. you'll hear a lot of screeching but you'll hardly see any smoke.

2) "i fixed your e-brake" - Taka Aono. with a small bolt and some duck tape he managed to make the e-brake a valuable tool for me that day. If you look at the pedal closely, theres a small hinge that latches onto something once you press in the pedal. when you press the pedal again, the hinge unlatches. he placed the bolt in front of the hinge(pressed it in) that sits on the pedal and duck taped it. now the hinge wouldn't engage with the latch and the pedal would pop right back out. now i had an e-brake to initiate my rear end whipping out.

3/4) the traction control (holding it longer for stability control) option works but only until 30MPH. it's made to reengage after that. so right as you start the car, do the pedal dance and poof...all nannies are gone....except for the auto shift. you'll be able to bounce off the redline a bit more in this mode but toyota will always try to save your engine...which is not a bad thing. it wasn't an issue on the course portion as you tend to ride out the line and increase speed which shifting into a higher gear isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it's the donuts where you ideally want to stay in the same gear...at least for our cars anyway. i found 2nd or 3rd was a good gear (up in the 5500rpm range) depending on the speed of your donut. I found it easier here to shift with the shifter than with the paddle...obviously. OH and obviously...this is in manual mode.

5) you'd think that because our cars have the 8 speed from the ISF that the differential would be identical...but we'd be wrong. seems that the diff is the same but the housing is slightly larger on our cars so a direct swap is out of the question. for some reason the casing is more in line with the size of the land cruiser but I'm waiting on Cusco to confirm that. anyways...seems that the 350 will need some custom work to convert our open diff into an LSD. in our vehicles i would say an LSD is the better choice(LFA has an open diff and its awesome but the IS is not an LFA ) but we have to make due for the meantime. you 250 guys can easily do a swap with the FRS diff. plug and play if I'm reading the posts correctly. I learned my lesson that day though...evenly distribute your right and left turns on an open diff...lol. i did way too many donuts to the left and i ate through my driver rear tire in minutes...lol. a 2 week old R888 shredded. it looked like spaghetti cords all around the tire. I've never seen a tire do that. Taka Aono looking at my tire at the end of that session..."that means you did good!....just cut the cords and it's safe to drive home" i had a three hour drive home...i was nervous the entire time. lol.

anyways...it can be done. it's not the most ideal car for drifting but it doesn't feel too unnatural out there with it. It's definitely a solid car and the handling is excellent. a few modifications and a small learning curve but a lot of fun. good luck!
LOLOL 120PSI??? XDDD I didn't know about the parking e-brake trick though, that's something I'd like to test out. I've driven with traction control off in the mountains and one time when I was coming downhill, open diff screwed me up through one of the sharpest hairpins and I was like -.- LOL. I had a mark III supra lsd in my 2012 and that thing worked wonders. Thanks for commenting though r0shiro, I've never seen you on here before but Instagram, a lot Your IS is sick ^_^
Old 10-05-15, 07:56 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
r0shiro- FYI, the 2016 RC200t F-Sport and RC350 F-Sport will finally have a Limited Slip differential available as an option and if the differential housing is compatible between the IS and RC platform (which I'm assuming it is), you might not have to wait for Cusco to develop an LSD.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...?view_id=43785 (First paragraph)
O_O will you guys update the thread? I'd pick one up, depending on the price they sell it for.
Old 10-05-15, 03:26 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
O_O will you guys update the thread? I'd pick one up, depending on the price they sell it for.
Agreed, that's awesome news to hear there's finally going to be some progress with the LSD!

But I bet it would probably cost a good chunk of money from Lexus.

Last edited by LexSense; 10-05-15 at 03:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-07-15, 08:50 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexSense
Agreed, that's awesome news to hear there's finally going to be some progress with the LSD!

But I bet it would probably cost a good chunk of money from Lexus.
Or get a used frs diff. the supra mkiii diff had 20,000 miles on it when i put it into my 2IS and it worked wonders still.
Old 10-07-15, 12:58 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Or get a used frs diff. the supra mkiii diff had 20,000 miles on it when i put it into my 2IS and it worked wonders still.
The LSD from the FRS/BRZ, MK3 Supra, and IS300 is only compatible with the IS250 model (both 2IS and 3IS). The 3IS50 had no compatible LSD to use until now (2016 RC350 F-Sport LSD).
Old 10-12-15, 07:58 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

The LSD from the FRS/BRZ, MK3 Supra, and IS300 is only compatible with the IS250 model (both 2IS and 3IS). The 3IS50 had no compatible LSD to use until now (2016 RC350 F-Sport LSD).
You're kidding...the lsd from the mk3 supra is compatible with the 3is 250..? O_O I didn't know that...have to save up now -.- (oh and have to find that lsd, wherever I put it XD ). I always thought that it was incompatible, was told that by someone else too haha.
Old 10-12-15, 09:09 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

You're kidding...the lsd from the mk3 supra is compatible with the 3is 250..? O_O I didn't know that...have to save up now -.- (oh and have to find that lsd, wherever I put it XD ). I always thought that it was incompatible, was told that by someone else too haha.
What year is your mkiii supra lsd? I think the earlier mkiii models used a clutch type LSD and the later mkiii models use a Torsen LSD (which is the one you'd want to use).
Old 10-19-15, 07:53 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

What year is your mkiii supra lsd? I think the earlier mkiii models used a clutch type LSD and the later mkiii models use a Torsen LSD (which is the one you'd want to use).
It's a mkiii