IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

just installed my BC BR racing coilovers.. super bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 06:00 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just installed my BC BR racing coilovers.. super bouncy

Hi everyone, I live in the southbay area of california. The roads around here varies from time to time but most of the time the streets are super smooth for any car.

Today I picked up my car from EAP(ELITE AUTO PERFORMANCE), had my coilover installed by them for $200. My car is super bouncy and i am very dissappointed. I am riding on stock wheels, lowered about 2" front and rear, spring rate is 14/12. Once i took off from the shop it was already bouncing, i went on the road, driving 20-40 mphs and im bouncing like a dog on prework LOL. I am not sure what is wrong with it, the shop doesnt seem to know either. I been messing with the dampening system and it helps a little, right now i max the stiffness, anything towards soft makes it way to bouncy. My previous vechicle 98 honda accord on cut tein springs ride waaaaaaay better then this... my ride feels horrible.

Last edited by ATP; 09-26-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 06:00 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

my front is ok, but the rear is the problem.
Old 09-26-15, 06:34 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you buy it brand new. If so it might take about 500km to have the valve fully broken in
Old 09-26-15, 06:49 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gpxluke
Did you buy it brand new. If so it might take about 500km to have the valve fully broken in

Yes I did, that might be it but I doubt it. It's like a party in my car. I just reverse out my driveway and im bouncing like kids in a jumper

Last edited by ATP; 09-26-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 07:55 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your issue is the spring rates... 12/14 sounds wayyy to aggressive for our cars, but I may be wrong as I've never owned coilovers.
Old 09-26-15, 08:20 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

stock bc coilover spring rate is 10/8, everyones been doing 12/10 but they always say they should of went higher, so i went 14/12
Old 09-27-15, 12:40 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

honestly, BC isn't a good company. I would definitely expect BC to be bouncy. Low quality coilovers will not have very good valving and should be expected to be either rough or bouncy. Good coilovers will be compliant over bumps but still firm on the turns. KW is a good suspension for reference.
Old 09-27-15, 07:14 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdoApero
I think your issue is the spring rates... 12/14 sounds wayyy to aggressive for our cars, but I may be wrong as I've never owned coilovers.
+1. Sounds like track car specs here or something. I'd go back to the standard spring rates if possible. There's only so much adjusting you can do with overly-stiff springs.

And I agree with the previous poster, BC coilovers are just mediocre parts. Do it right or don't do it at all. These cars have such a great ride quality in stock form it's a shame to ruin it with cheap dampers. KW, Ohlins, even Koni's maybe.
Old 09-27-15, 08:17 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

bounciness usually comes from your spring rate not matching the damping rate. you need to lower your spring rate. What you have is great for the track. check out Swift springs for your BC, they are usually a good combo.
Old 09-27-15, 11:16 AM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

i gotta do something, honestly my car is unrideable . all my friends has BC on there car and it rides great. Rides better then there stock. and i have to horrible luck out of it.
Old 09-27-15, 11:40 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Suspension mechanics are a complicated thing; I can't imagine how much of Lexus's time and money went into the design of the 3IS suspension to achieve their trade-off of handling and ride comfort.
Old 09-27-15, 07:22 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Me and a bunch of my friends are riding on BC with 12/10 spring rates with no issues at all. Rides better than stock in my opinion.
Old 10-03-15, 05:15 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

so i adjust the preload today in the rear suspension. rides great now! Next is to adjust the height but its pretty hard, the rings are on pretty tight by all the pressure. i dont dont recommand elite auto preformance.
Old 10-03-15, 09:30 PM
Mushi31
Driver

i just installed BC today... i didnt get swift springs. as i dont plan on dropping it to the ground and the roads in LA are horrible. i have to say. i should of made this choice long ago. i was on springs. i dont care whether it be rsr or bc or j5's i just want to say to all you car guys, just get coilovers. you wont regret it.
Old 10-03-15, 09:41 PM
felen310
Driver

Originally Posted by ATP
so i adjust the preload today in the rear suspension. rides great now! Next is to adjust the height but its pretty hard, the rings are on pretty tight by all the pressure. i dont dont recommand elite auto preformance.

hmmm EAP installed my JOE Z cat back and i ordered my intake from them, my buddy is getting his evo built by them as well....

Quick Reply: just installed my BC BR racing coilovers.. super bouncy