IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

bmw 5 series owner testing is200t real views

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 02:43 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

17.5 light to light and getting on it like i did isn't bad, if you baby it i can see 24 city...
Old 09-19-15, 02:47 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

if i'm not trying to be speed racer, i avg 23.8 both city and hwy. i rarely use sports/sports+ mode cause i'm sure you know gas isn't cheap in cali. i do punch it every once in a min though. when was on stocks w/ correct tire pressure, i did get over 24 mpg for a couple of fill ups. i'm currently on 19's; i believe they're lighter in weight compared to stock.
Old 09-20-15, 01:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

my current average is 27.7 mpg combined city/hwy with a 2014 IS 250 which is amazing. i have no idea what i do.
Old 09-20-15, 02:44 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

One advantage of the OP's non-editing four post technique is that it "bumps" the thread towards the top of the list, to get a quicker response from forum members.
Old 09-20-15, 05:58 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

four post technique, nice...
nope just was sitting in front of the dealer, excited for all to learn that they did a great job with the powertrain and was posting from my 5 series in the parking lot looking at that new red is 200 t next to me.
a beautiful color in the sun i wouldn't want one day after day in that color but beautiful
as far as technique its called
ADD
Old 09-20-15, 06:03 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

another interesting thing was on the ride home put my 5 in comfort mode. remember my car is about 300 pounds heavier. for all those shopping back and forth between the 3 and is or gs the lexus motor seems to have its power in the 1800-4500 range as it starts to peak i noticed the power tops off. the n20 motor as a contrast not better or worst seems to continue pulling at a higher rpm range.
both great motors and i am happy toyota put the time in to get it right. we all know the TMF test were done over and over... that is Total Miles till Failure which they do to over engineer the cars
Old 09-20-15, 06:08 AM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
four post technique, nice...
nope just was sitting in front of the dealer, excited for all to learn that they did a great job with the powertrain and was posting from my 5 series in the parking lot looking at that new red is 200 t next to me.
a beautiful color in the sun i wouldn't want one day after day in that color but beautiful
as far as technique its called
ADD
What 5?? do You drive? What engine and is it RWD or xDrive?
Old 09-20-15, 06:18 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

2013 bmw 528 no x drive
20,000 miles CPO
Old 09-23-15, 09:09 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default finally

saw two of these on the road already, hope all the is250 buyers don't get swayed in to buying the 250 with low lease prices
Old 09-24-15, 01:49 AM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the cheap interior materials you mention also the same ones used on the 350? I assumed the interiors were the same (except the gauge cluster) but did not feel the same way about those specific areas.
Old 09-24-15, 06:24 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default hi kevin

kevin i should clarify. the materials throughout are not cheap, some of the designs of the right side of dash to me look dated. the material by the steering wheel buttons almost looked like a cross between plastic and styrophome. i can't explain it but from people touching it in showroom had white residue on it already from oils from peoples hands..
thought the car was very well done and it should be a winner for lexus and charlie sheen
Old 09-24-15, 12:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by k3vn
Are the cheap interior materials you mention also the same ones used on the 350? I assumed the interiors were the same (except the gauge cluster) but did not feel the same way about those specific areas.
Guage cluster is the same unless you get the F-sport. There's a lot of hard plastic in the interior, and it's the same in all IS models. Had 2015 IS250 as a loaner last weekend, and the most disappointing part is the hard and cheap plastics used on the center console. The stuff surrounding the climate, radio, and cupholders to remote touch trim specifically. The loaner only had 1600 miles and there were rattles coming from the radio and climate control area. Besides the padded sides for the center console and the silver painted plastic next to it, it's cheap and hard plastic below the A/C vents level. A lot of it looks ok until you touch it. I guess Lexus has to save money somewhere to keep the price low, but I think they should've at least used some softer materials in these areas for a car at this price. The silver plastic trim on the door was annoying too because I tend to lean my leg there while driving and it's not comfortable when your leg hits it on a turn or rests upon it. I hope they did some interior upgrades with this update (highly unlikely until a refresh). Quality of the interior is kind of disappointing when compared to the new Mercedes C-class and other higher Lexus models.
Old 09-25-15, 06:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I test drove my friend's brand new IS200t earlier.

The idle is superbly smooth & quiet; smoother than the countless V6's I have owned.
It idles more smoothly than both NX200t & C Class.

Response, acceleration and power are all good.
It cruises beautifully.

The only downside of the 2L turbo is the loudness & coarseness on wide open throttle.
The refinement is satisfactory.
The IS200t engine is much better than the NX200t, however it still can't match the engine refinement of the Benz 2L turbo, and it still falls a bit short of BM's 2L turbo, but overall, the IS200t's engine is okay, but not class leading, nor a true replacement for the old 2.5L V6's smoothness...
Old 09-25-15, 08:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I test drove my friend's brand new IS200t earlier.

The idle is superbly smooth & quiet; smoother than the countless V6's I have owned.
It idles more smoothly than both NX200t & C Class.

Response, acceleration and power are all good.
It cruises beautifully.

The only downside of the 2L turbo is the loudness & coarseness on wide open throttle.
The refinement is satisfactory.
The IS200t engine is much better than the NX200t, however it still can't match the engine refinement of the Benz 2L turbo, and it still falls a bit short of BM's 2L turbo, but overall, the IS200t's engine is okay, but not class leading, nor a true replacement for the old 2.5L V6's smoothness...
how does it compare to the 3.5L?
Old 09-25-15, 10:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Compared to the 3.5 V6, the 2.0 Turbo idles possibly more smoothy, and more quietly.
At low revs, the 2.0 turbo is possibly quieter.
When cruising, both engines are literally equally quiet.

However, under moderately wide open throttle, or moderately brisk driving, the 2.0 four cylinder turbo rears its ugly head with a much louder, coarser, and less refined revving.

On full throttle, the 3.5 V6 has more instant response, a more natural torque curve, is smoother and quieter, and trounces the 2.0 Turbo, however the 2.0 Turbo is considerably cheaper, and much more economical, and for its price, the 2.0 Turbo is doing quite well.

However, the 2.0 Turbo must match Benz's 2.0 Turbo for smoothness in order to really match the Germans and the competition.
Somehow, I suspect that Lexus' square bore/stroke ratio is responsible for the harshness compared to the German's big bore short stroke engines which have naturally lower piston velocities, thus Lexus may have to go back to the drawing board, and design a big bore short stroke 2L four cylinder turbo...

Quick Reply: bmw 5 series owner testing is200t real views