IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-Sport 3IS Winter setup with 17in mags? Picture?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 04:48 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

I did not wanted OEM due to the bi-yearly reprogramming required... System still works, the pressures are simply just not displayed.
Old 11-19-15, 06:20 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
I did not wanted OEM due to the bi-yearly reprogramming required... System still works, the pressures are simply just not displayed.
Hi Answer,

Do you have the new version (33500) of EZ sensors installed ? I thought yours are able to display pressures.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-wheels-2.html

Or you actually have the older version which actually resembles a OEM sensor in terms of form factor (actually it is smaller in every dimension).

On the other hand, a 33500 EZ sensor is actually much smaller and its form factor is like a half-sized OEM sensor. It is a dual-band TPMS sensor.

My winter wheel set for 2014 IS used to have older version of EZ sensors. The system works but couldn't display pressures per location.

After spending so much time (trying different updates from Bartec) during the past 2 years, finally my tire shop was willing to switch it back to the OEM sensors yesterday. The OEM sensors worked instantly the moment the tire shop programmed it. The individual pressure reading showed up instantly. The tire shop used the same programming data for 2014 IS from the same Bartec device.

Last edited by AndyL; 11-19-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 06:23 PM
Answer
Instructor

Yes, it's the new 33500 sensors which are indeed supposed to show pressures... I'm going back to my tire shop tomorrow to see what's up!
Old 11-19-15, 06:25 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dizordered
Finally installed my winter set this morning! I asked the dealer to put the OEM center hub on the RWC wheels. Comes with Michelin X-Ice 3. Paid 2065$ tax included! Pretty satisfied with the result!

These are the best 17" aftermarket wheels on 3IS I have come across so far. Wish I were aware of it before. I have the 17" OEM wheels from 2IS and have the same tires (Michelin X-ice 3 225/45R17)/

Probably due to the design of the spokes, your rims appear to be bigger which makes the look nicer.
Old 11-19-15, 07:12 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it's the new 33500 sensors which are indeed supposed to show pressures... I'm going back to my tire shop tomorrow to see what's up!
I see. Please keep us posted. My tire shop said it didn't make sense that only the 33500 works and not the older one. I literally saw him calling Bartec and they said for 2014 IS, both 33500 and the older 33000 (black) are compatible. 33500 is a dual-band TPMS sensor and our IS only uses one frequency anyway.

Anyway in my case, I have been waiting to get it work for 2 years. Too many going back and forth and disappointment. So I gave it up and requested the tire shop to switch to OEM ones. I really find the individual pressures on dash beneficial, especially during winter.

Last edited by AndyL; 11-19-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 07:35 PM
Answer
Instructor

The ultra weird thing is that it can actually read the pressures... If I start the car and my summer wheels are along side the car, I'll get some pressure readings, and they will stay there and update as long as the car is not shut off. But when the car is restarted, they won't show anymore...
Old 11-19-15, 07:42 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally installed my winter set this morning! I asked the dealer to put the OEM center hub on the RWC wheels. Comes with Michelin X-Ice 3. Paid 2065$ tax included! Pretty satisfied with the result!

Looking good @Dizordered.

Agree completely with @AndyL. I perfer the OEM look and these look very clean. I daresay the color is almost an exact match to the OEM F-Sport wheels. Wish these were around when I got my snows last year.
Old 11-19-15, 07:42 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

The ultra weird thing is that it can actually read the pressures... If I start the car and my summer wheels are along side the car, I'll get some pressure readings, and they will stay there and update as long as the car is not shut off. But when the car is restarted, they won't show anymore...
This is just my guess -- could your car read the pressures from the OEM TPMS sensors in the summer wheels which are placed nearby rather than from the EZ sensors in the winter set? When the car is not shut off, the battery is charged and so the communication between the OEM TPMS sensors and the TPMS module in your car remain intact...
Old 11-19-15, 07:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Doesn't this suggest the your car is picking up the summer set at start-up and then not communicating for the rest of the drive? I've experienced this before, as I used to keep the summer set in the garage. Basically, your car is just picking up the summer pressures then isn't it?

Good way test would be to deflate one of the summer tires and see if the car picks that up and/or updates to the winter tire later during your drive.
Old 11-19-15, 08:32 PM
newToIs250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i may have the same sensors as you. They are clonable sensors. They dont have the pressure display number but that is because of the software the shop used to program my sensors. The guy at the shop told me that next year they should have the new software and if i wanted i can go free of charge to get them reporgrammes so the pressure number displays

Or somethimg of that nature

Thanks
Old 11-20-15, 04:16 AM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by computerwi
Doesn't this suggest the your car is picking up the summer set at start-up and then not communicating for the rest of the drive? I've experienced this before, as I used to keep the summer set in the garage. Basically, your car is just picking up the summer pressures then isn't it?

Good way test would be to deflate one of the summer tires and see if the car picks that up and/or updates to the winter tire later during your drive.
Car does read the summer tires pressure at startup, but if I drive away and deflate a tire, I will see the lower pressure get updated from the cloned sensors... Even if I don't move the car, the pressure readings will alternate between the summer and winter tires...
So the car is actually able to get the pressures and display them, but won't for some unknown reasons.
Old 11-20-15, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
These are the best 17" aftermarket wheels on 3IS I have come across so far. Wish I were aware of it before. I have the 17" OEM wheels from 2IS and have the same tires (Michelin X-ice 3 225/45R17)/

Probably due to the design of the spokes, your rims appear to be bigger which makes the look nicer.
totally agree, they look great @Dizordered !
Old 11-20-15, 07:25 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Car does read the summer tires pressure at startup, but if I drive away and deflate a tire, I will see the lower pressure get updated from the cloned sensors... Even if I don't move the car, the pressure readings will alternate between the summer and winter tires... So the car is actually able to get the pressures and display them, but won't for some unknown reasons.
That is indeed a very strange situation. Please let us know how it turns out. It is a good thing that the car does pick up some data from the cloned sensors.

Did the tire shop clone the actual sensor IDs from the summer set to the winter set?
Old 11-20-15, 08:57 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice package

Im getting confused as there are so many white cars here

Is this price cad? Or us $ ?

Thanks
Old 11-20-15, 09:23 AM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndyL
That is indeed a very strange situation. Please let us know how it turns out. It is a good thing that the car does pick up some data from the cloned sensors.

Did the tire shop clone the actual sensor IDs from the summer set to the winter set?
Yes, they did clone the OEM sensors.

Quick Reply: F-Sport 3IS Winter setup with 17in mags? Picture?