IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rioja Red - dye transfer - ON MF CLOTH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 08:22 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rioja Red - dye transfer - ON MF CLOTH!!!

Just cleaned the leather in my wife's car as it was looking rather shiny.

I used Gliptone Gentle Leather cleaner and conditioner. I have used this before on my RX F-Sport with no issues.

I used a damp cloth to dampen the seat and applied it using an applicator. Now, I used a soft leather brush to agitate and foam it up and took it off with a different damp MF cloth

Now get this - I noticed that the cloth, which was green before, had patches of pink on it so I can only conclude that dye has been transferred onto the cloth?!?

On removal of the cleaner, the seat looks great and after careful examination of the whole seat, it doesn't seem that any dye has come off the seat as the seat itself is fine.

So my question is - does anybody else get red dye transfer on their MF while cleaning the leather? any chance its actually coming out from the perforations rather than the surface of the seat?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-15, 08:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We don't get the red leather option on the IS in the states (only NuLuxe here) like you do in the UK, so responses here may be limited. I have not had any dye transfer onto my microfiber clothes from the gray leather in my RX or from my black NuLuxe in my IS. I use Leather Masters products on my RX.

I wouldn't worry, but you might want to post this in the leather thread in the detailing forum for thoughts.
Old 09-13-15, 09:18 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is recommended to use only a damp cloth/microfiber for cleaning the interior....be careful.
Old 09-13-15, 09:40 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
It is recommended to use only a damp cloth/microfiber for cleaning the interior....be careful.
Well yes, everything else I do with just a damp cloth but surely the leather needs a proper leather cleaner to do the job?

Looking at the seats, there hasnt been any visible dye removed from any of the seat and rubbing with another damp MF caused no more dye removal. its only on the cloth which is really odd.

I have a feeling the perforations arent sealed properly with the top coat they put on and thats why it does it. Doesnt happen on the non-perforating sections.
Old 09-13-15, 12:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Rioja Red - dye transfer - ON MF CLOTH!!!

I've been using lexol neutral pH cleaner and haven't had any problems. Made for delicate leather and materials.
Old 09-13-15, 01:51 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've been using lexol neutral pH cleaner and haven't had any problems. Made for delicate leather and materials.
I've had no issues with the Gliptone on RX leather which is more sensitive IMO.

Hmm I checked the IS leather with a cloth and it's fine now, nothing coming off at all and very soft due to conditioner. Very odd