IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Unwanted seat heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 07:41 PM
scottaw001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unwanted seat heating

(I've posted this in response to a few other similar threads, but nothing exactly matched this. Sorry for the duplication).

I just bought my car a few weeks back in July. I noticed that the seats appeared to be hotter with the A/C on. It turned out, I was right. With the seat heaters OFF and A/C ON, the seats would get hot. I've posted an infrared video here (
).

For reference, I also made a video of normal heating (e.g., seat heat ON) (
) and you can see that the heating areas are different.

The dealer says this isn't happening. Anybody have any insight?
2015 IS350 F-Sport

Thanks!

Old 09-10-15, 08:09 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job with the proof positive method of measuring the actual Temperatures! This is happening to the center of the seat back on some 2015 RC models. Lexus just seems to brush it off with excuses or suggested theories. Maybe you can get some attention with your evidence of occurrence. Look forward to any resolve via warranty or recall.

Thanks!

Thread: ventilated-seat

File a complaint: NHTSA Complaints
Old 09-11-15, 03:30 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm just out of curiosity, when the AC is on, is it in the heating mode or cooling mode?
Old 09-11-15, 03:59 PM
scottaw001
Driver School Candidate

By "it" I assume you mean the seat, which heats when the AC is on. I don't have cooled seats, just heat and ventilate.
Old 09-11-15, 04:53 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with Lexus? What happened to "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"?

Are we ignorant idiots who want to run around wasting time and sanity?

Why would you complain of a what you are if not true; WTF!

How arrogant of Lexus to treat us this way.

Something is wrong with Lexus' quality control's and corporate culture to permit this to happen and continue with the BS you've received in response to your complaint.

My IS 350 has had many issues - one of which is indirectly related to yours - heated seats that DO NOT WORK. I've taken my car to multiple dealers and have interacted with corporate, all of which DO NOT GIVE A F.

Fanboys aside, Lexus should not be thought of as a quality company that backs it's products anymore.

My LX 470 has been flawless; what's happened in the past 10 years to permit this nonsense now?

Not what I expected. Sad.

Last edited by dbs600; 09-11-15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 06:21 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaw001
By "it" I assume you mean the seat, which heats when the AC is on. I don't have cooled seats, just heat and ventilate.
"it" being the actual air conditioning unit.
Reason, I'm asking is b/c I'm wondering if the heat from the engine coolant is being pumped to heat up the seats, i.e. like it does to heat up the car in the winter.

Edit: though I'm pretty sure they're resistor based running off of just electricity and hence totally unrelated.

Last edited by LexSense; 09-11-15 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-13-15, 09:04 AM
scottaw001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
"it" being the actual air conditioning unit.
Reason, I'm asking is b/c I'm wondering if the heat from the engine coolant is being pumped to heat up the seats, i.e. like it does to heat up the car in the winter.

Edit: though I'm pretty sure they're resistor based running off of just electricity and hence totally unrelated.

I'm not sure it always happens with the a/c on, but I've never noticed it with the a/c off.
Old 09-13-15, 12:48 PM
Aleriance
Driver School Candidate

And I thought I was losing my mind! I can attest that my 2015 250 F-Sport has this issue. Even when I set the seat cooling to max, I can feel the lumbar area get warmer than with it off.
Old 09-13-15, 03:45 PM
jenglish
Driver School Candidate

I have thought mine was doing this too. 2015 with a/c seats...
Old 09-14-15, 04:00 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, great work with your analytical skills. Not many people will go that extra distance to provide valid proof. I will have to check my 2014 IS350 (non-F) to see if my a/c seats produce heat when on. From what I remember, I don't think I had that issue but then again, I like having the seat heater on even with the A/C ^-^;
Old 09-14-15, 06:33 AM
scottaw001
Driver School Candidate

Had my 2nd appointment with Lexus a few days back. They tried and failed to duplicate the problem. Odd thing is, since then, I can't either.
Old 09-14-15, 09:54 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scottaw001
Had my 2nd appointment with Lexus a few days back. They tried and failed to duplicate the problem. Odd thing is, since then, I can't either.
BS, BS, BS.

If problem does not resurface, what occurred was the following:

Dealer reproduced problem, notified corporate, corporate instructed dealer how to 'manage' [read: fraudulently fabricate] repair records, dealer stated no problem found, corporate subsequently instructed dealer with solution and to wait for next visit to implement (and/or your VIN was flagged stating same), dealer implemented solution with no acknowledgment, you receive car back supposedly fixed.

Disgusting.

Please keep us posted.
Old 09-14-15, 10:04 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I, too, have this problem.
It seems like the problem surfaces when you turn on the ventilated seat function under hot weather.
Old 09-14-15, 10:09 AM
scottaw001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbs600
BS, BS, BS.

If problem does not resurface, what occurred was the following:

Dealer reproduced problem, notified corporate, corporate instructed dealer how to 'manage' [read: fraudulently fabricate] repair records, dealer stated no problem found, corporate subsequently instructed dealer with solution and to wait for next visit to implement (and/or your VIN was flagged stating same), dealer implemented solution with no acknowledgment, you receive car back supposedly fixed.

Disgusting.

Please keep us posted.
Entirely possible. On my first appointment, a junior tech told me that someone came in with the same issue a few weeks earlier. I get handed off to the service department manager who tells me Lexus has never encountered this before. My BS detector blew a fuse.

the saga continues...
Old 09-14-15, 12:30 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aleriance
And I thought I was losing my mind! I can attest that my 2015 250 F-Sport has this issue. Even when I set the seat cooling to max, I can feel the lumbar area get warmer than with it off.
+1 . I thought it was just me... my 2015 350 f sport rwd does this. sometimes I feel the fans working, other times I feel the car seats getting warmer than cooler. I have not had the time to fully document and find proof to bring to Lexus... Thanks for the extra info OP.

Quick Reply: Unwanted seat heating