IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Unwanted seat heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 08:21 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottaw001
Entirely possible. On my first appointment, a junior tech told me that someone came in with the same issue a few weeks earlier. I get handed off to the service department manager who tells me Lexus has never encountered this before. My BS detector blew a fuse.
Reading and experiencing this **** first hand is so disgusting; we're treaded like idiots.

With their million problems, Land Rover never treated me like this. Nor has Mercedes.

Think done with Lexus. BMW also pulls this.
Old 09-21-15, 03:49 PM
rockyvo09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaw001
Had my 2nd appointment with Lexus a few days back. They tried and failed to duplicate the problem. Odd thing is, since then, I can't either.
I have the same issue you do with my 2015 350 F sport. I noticed that it only happens when my car has been sitting in the parking lot baking in the sun while I'm at work. When I enter the car and turn on the vented seats right away, it'll have this issue. If i wait 5-10 minutes before turning on the vented seats, it cools like it is supposed to.

Maybe your drive to the dealership gave the car enough time to have the vented seats properly work. Hope you get your issue resolved and keep us posted!
Old 09-22-15, 06:09 AM
JP30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rockyvo09
I have the same issue you do with my 2015 350 F sport. I noticed that it only happens when my car has been sitting in the parking lot baking in the sun while I'm at work. When I enter the car and turn on the vented seats right away, it'll have this issue. If i wait 5-10 minutes before turning on the vented seats, it cools like it is supposed to.

Maybe your drive to the dealership gave the car enough time to have the vented seats properly work. Hope you get your issue resolved and keep us posted!
I've had this same thing in my '15 350 F Sport. However, even 20 minutes later once the car is cooled off and I try to turn on the seats it still gets hot and uncomfortable. This is def something I will be bringing up at my 5k service appointment as to me its unacceptable to pay extra for a feature like this and basically not be able to use it
Old 02-25-16, 08:46 AM
starkid198
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys so I also have this issue, 2014 IS250, and I think I know what the problem is. Everytime I turn the ventilated seats on the mid back portion of the seat heats up a noticeable amount. I can turn it on and wait like 3 mins or less and place my hand gently on the lower back portion of the seat and feel the heat.

The issue I think is the actual motors in the seats are heating up from being turned on to power the fans. If you put your ear to the seat back you can hear them turn on.

I don't ever use my ventilated seats now because it's pointless, super sweaty back after using it.

Haven't taken to the dealer though for fix.

Anybody else resolved this issue yet?
Old 02-25-16, 11:28 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

I have the same problem.
Old 02-25-16, 03:20 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn and here I thought it was just the heat in the summer
Old 02-25-16, 10:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 2016 is350 fsport, and ever since I bought it, I've always used the A/C (Never even used windows).

I honestly never felt my seat get HOT.. although I never actually noticed any substantial differences. I may have to check tho..

TBH, I probably would never use the heated or vent seats anyways. CA weather is pretty much fair weather year round.
Old 03-01-16, 09:56 AM
JP30
Driver School Candidate

FYI - when I brought the car in for service at 5k I mentioned this issue and they said I had to leave the car there overnight for them to look into it further. Otherwise, they said they saw no issues. This is obviously a well known problem that others have had with no solution. The fan works (you can hear it) but something is running way too hot, it makes the feature completely useless. Once I go in for 10k I will be making a stink about this again.
Old 06-14-17, 06:52 PM
DreamIt
Driver School Candidate

Default Dammit

Did anything come of this? I thought I researched the crap out of this car before buying it (which was 4 days ago....). I was super insistent on getting ventilated seats because I can't stand being hot. On the way home my back was cooking and I could not figure out why. I could have sworn the heater was on. When I clicked the heater to compare, it seemed to get cooler. When I got home I pulled out a laser temp gun I have and as many of you stated, it's clearly heating. It's heating on the sides more than the center which is interesting. This was a major reason I bought this exact car (2015, 13k miles, IS350 F Sport). She wasn't cheap. I'm not willing to live with this issue.

I'm hoping something positive came of this. The only thing I did today different is click the AC to be the same on both sides of the car. Will be interesting to see if separating again makes a difference. Ugh.

-Mike
Old 06-15-17, 05:49 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experiencing the same thing. I know I'm not crazy or 600 lbs, the seats are getting hot on their on.
Old 06-15-17, 11:26 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

the heating/cooling works fine in my 2017 IS300... maybe they made the slightest upgrade in the 2017? or i might not be bothered by the temperatures in the car
Old 06-15-17, 11:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,498 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the heating/cooling works fine in my 2017 IS300... maybe they made the slightest upgrade in the 2017? or i might not be bothered by the temperatures in the car
Mine '16 IS 300 (heated and cooled seats) doesn't have the issue either, and I have had the car for 8 months. Maybe it takes time for the symptoms to show up.
Old 06-15-17, 01:33 PM
lzaffuto
Driver School Candidate

Mine does this. I tested it with the passenger seat... ventilation off, seat surface cool. Ventilation on, seat surface gets warm, like the heater is on. I've taken to just not using the feature as a result.The area that gets warm on mine is the lumbar and mid-back area. The bottom cushion seems ok temperature wise but that is also the part where the most air comes out of the holes. I wonder if this happens because whatever hose carries air to the seatback is collapsed and heat builds up in the area where the air doesn't flow out very well? I remember when I had my Mustang reading about the ventilated seats on that car didn't work very well from the factory but you could mod the pipes in the seat that carry the air for better ventilation to make them work better and put out cooler air. Maybe something similar is possible with our seats?
Old 06-15-17, 06:29 PM
DreamIt
Driver School Candidate

I cooked myself on the way home today again. Oddly, on the way to work everything worked fine. When I got home I did some further investigating while it was malfunctioning. So something is clearly not working correctly. The ventilated seat fans are on. So from that perspective are working. I didn't really feel a whole lot of air flow but I suspect they are flowing air as designed. The seats are heating also however. It's a very specific location. It's about 1/2 up the seat back and it's right where the bolster meets the back but on the bolster as opposed to the seat back. It's definitely on the right hand side of the seat although I forgot to check the left hand side but believe it's there too. This is not where the heated seat elements create heat from what I can tell. I believe the heated seats are at the seat bottom toward the back and the seat back in the center. With that.... What the heck is getting hot?? This is the question we need to solve. I'm going to re-check the youtube video I saw last night to see if anything looks obvious. If it's not a heating element, I would think there is a slightly more serious concern. Could it burn?...
Old 06-15-17, 07:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,498 Likes on 1,802 Posts

So I tried this out again today, once when I just got out to the car after it had been sitting in a parking lot all afternoon in roughly 90 degree ambient temperature, and again after driving home and parking in the garage for a half hour. On the way home from work, the seat got WARMER in the lower part of the seatback, though cool air was coming through on the bottom cushion. Mind, this was after I drove for about 2 minutes, which gave the air conditioner a chance to really start cooling. Later, when leaving my garage, when the car was considerably cooler, it seemed that the issue had disappeared, even with the fans on max speed. I left them on for a couple minutes and didn't really notice anything, so I turned it off. So, I am wondering if it has something to do with the temperature of the air in the car at the time the ventilation is turned on. Also, the warmth I felt from the seat back went away pretty quickly after I turned the fans off, and it was less intense when on low speed. This all seems to support that it's literally blowing hot air at me when the air inside the car is really hot.

Quick Reply: Unwanted seat heating