IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 20k Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:03 AM
M141
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 20k Service

I've just recently bought a certified pre-owned 2014 IS250. Its due for its 20k service. Dealership wanted 425.00 Is it possible to take this to Toyota to get this service done? If I get it done somewhere else or do this myself does it void the certified warranty?
Old 09-04-15, 09:20 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

http://www.skipchips.com/paint-prote...than-a-dealer/

Most people believe they have to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer for their make if they want to protect the provisions of the warranty when needing repairs and recommended maintenance. That’s simply not true, as you can read in this article from the Car Care Council.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is responsible for enforcing a variety of laws which regulate interstate commerce, and vehicle warranties fall under their jurisdiction. Federal law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers from holding warranties void when owners take their vehicles to non-dealers for work. Under the terms of this act, you have the right to take your vehicle to any shop you choose.
That being said, you probably want to select a mechanic or body shop which is independently certified, in order to insure that those who work on your vehicle are up-to-date in the latest technology as recommended repair techniques. Some drivers simply prefer to take their vehicles to dealers, the sense being that a dealer would be most familiar with the particular needs of a specific make and model.
Whether you choose a dealer or an independent mechanic for your car maintenance and repair needs, sticking with your manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule is one of the best ways you can make sure your vehicle is running as well as it can and should.
Old 09-04-15, 10:02 AM
M141
Driver School Candidate

This is great. Thanks! I'm taking my car to Toyota since the same thing is 125.00 ( 65 dollars for a minor service and another 60 to cabin filter.) The only downside is I don't get a loaner car for 300 dollars less.
Old 09-04-15, 12:02 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

you can easily replace the cabin filter by yourself (around 37 bucks), but make sure you check the link below before you do it,

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...-filter-366742
Old 09-04-15, 12:08 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

After the complimentary maintenance I got from the dealer, I took it to my mechanic I've been using for years. Charged me around $75 for the service. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money to go to the dealership for maintenance, some people just like that peace of mind, but I just don't see the value. My logic is that if you find a really good mechanic, he's not limited to only Toyota/Lexus knowledge. They've probably had more experience overall and give you that peace of mind anyway. I remember years back, I took one of my previous cars to the dealership for maintenance and they were supposed to replace the clutch fluid, but instead just drained and didn't refill it. Can't always trust they'll do the right thing either.