IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 Lexus IS350 RWD Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 09:49 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus IS350 RWD Canada

New pricing and model went official on Lexus.ca but it doesn't seem like there any IS350 RWD anymore!??!!!

What the helllllllllllll
Old 09-03-15, 11:25 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Confirmed. If you want RWD, you have to get the IS200t. If you want IS350, you have to get AWD.

Jeff
Old 09-03-15, 11:44 PM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't quite see why one would opt for a non-AWD in Canada anyway. Impractical.
Old 09-03-15, 11:59 PM
2IS35O
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nocxx2
It depends where you live. On the west coast (Vancouver) we don't get much snow. We get more rain then anything. It sucks that lexus got rid of the RWD IS350 in Canada.
Old 09-04-15, 01:45 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm from Canada, and I drive RWD. Jeff Lange too also runs RWD.

As long as you're not going on 15% grade roads all day, you're fine with RWD and using proper tires, you are fine.

AWD is overrated because some people think they are invincible driving on roads in snow/slick conditions because they have a 4x4/AWD and would drive like normal; Ironically, they are the ones who end up in accidents first in those conditions. Also consider back in the day, people learned how to drive on RWD as FWD and AWD did not exist.

Last edited by Sango; 09-04-15 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 05:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Lexus Canada announced the IS lineup on June 26th here which did not include the 350 RWD.

It's no surprise the 350 RWD didn't make the cut since sales in Canada of this specific model were poor. Overwhelming majority of IS sales has been the 250 AWD.

We'll see how well the 200t in RWD-only guise does up here.
Old 09-04-15, 05:17 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is so much misconception about AWD it's not even funny anymore so let's stick to the IS AWD system. It is predominately RWD with 30% of the torque directed to the front wheels at all times. It will then adjust 50/50 under slip conditions. AWD drive only allows for better take off and "drive" traction, it doesn't help with stopping whatsoever. One can modulate between throttle and brake control to achieve even better traction with RWD and winter tires. This requires full attention on the road, the response of the car and changing road conditions. I guess one can't do that while texting inane banter to their bff.

I've lived in Montreal, Edmonton and now GTA. I've driven RWD and FWD in all those cities and countless between them, including SUV, sedan and sport cars. RWD is the way to go, even in packed snow roads like Edmonton. More control, and definitely more stable if you know what you are doing. The key is winter tires, easy on the throttle.

Last edited by My0gr81; 09-04-15 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 06:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You guys in Canada are getting the IS300 AWD too, right?
Old 09-04-15, 07:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
There is so much misconception about AWD it's not even funny anymore so let's stick to the IS AWD system. It is predominately RWD with 30% of the torque directed to the front wheels at all times. It will then adjust 50/50 under slip conditions. AWD drive only allows for better take off and "drive" traction, it doesn't help with stopping whatsoever. One can modulate between throttle and brake control to achieve even better traction with RWD and winter tires. This requires full attention on the road, the response of the car and changing road conditions. I guess one can't do that while texting inane banter to their bff.

I've lived in Montreal, Edmonton and now GTA. I've driven RWD and FWD in all those cities and countless between them, including SUV, sedan and sport cars. RWD is the way to go, even in packed snow roads like Edmonton. More control, and definitely more stable if you know what you are doing. The key is winter tires, easy on the throttle.
As an ex-Montrealer too, now in the GTA, I tend to agree with the false sense of security of AWD. AWD is good on takeoff, trying to get out of piled snow, etc,. So in low speed, excellent. But where you need traction the most for optimal safety is in straight line stability, steering control, and braking control, which of course is mostly on tires.

There have been several tests over the years where fwd or rwd vehicles with winter tires out-performed an AWD on all-seasons in virtually all winter tests.

Originally Posted by JDR76
You guys in Canada are getting the IS300 AWD too, right?
Yep and it's pretty good value compared to the 250 AWD considering the small price hike and the detuned 2GR FSE from the 350.
Old 09-04-15, 09:51 AM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81

Ok. I mean, about 90% of your post could have been done away with, if you would just say that RWD is perfectly fine given the perfect weather conditions/tires and the most astute and expert of drivers [in Canadian winters]. For general population however, AWD is just more practical, which is evident from the 2016 line of 350 only having AWD, in Canada.
Old 09-04-15, 09:57 AM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
I'm from Canada, and I drive RWD. Jeff Lange too also runs RWD.

As long as you're not going on 15% grade roads all day, you're fine with RWD and using proper tires, you are fine.

AWD is overrated because some people think they are invincible driving on roads in snow/slick conditions because they have a 4x4/AWD and would drive like normal; Ironically, they are the ones who end up in accidents first in those conditions. Also consider back in the day, people learned how to drive on RWD as FWD and AWD did not exist.
Reckless driving will get you in trouble even if you drive a hummer on a nice sunny summer day. Having said that, RWD vehicles aren't "generally" practical in snow, because you would require the most ideal winter tires with great driving skills to be able to maneuver your car in harsh winter conditions. AWD however does not have that pre-requisite. If you drive carefully and respect driving laws and conditions, AWD holds up better in Canadian conditions. This is clearly evident from the number of AWD sales in Canada for IS and 2016 IS 350 only being available in AWD here.
Old 09-04-15, 10:47 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

AWD holds up better in Canadian conditions. This is clearly evident from the number of AWD sales in Canada for IS and 2016 IS 350 only being available in AWD here.
Sales to consumers that hardly understand their cars is not an indication of one configuration being superior over another.

People *think* AWD is like 4WD and that it is better in snow. Those same people are the ones that go flying past you on the highway in the snow and 20mins you pass them as they are upside down in a ditch.

Personally, RWD is more FUN in the snow, I've driven crappy FWD cars all my life and never had an issue in the snow, this will be my first winter with the AWD, and chances are I'd rather take my beater to work instead of risking the Lexus with the rest of the nut jobs on our roads in the winter.
Old 09-04-15, 10:57 AM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendanf
Sales to consumers that hardly understand their cars is not an indication of one configuration being superior over another.

People *think* AWD is like 4WD and that it is better in snow. Those same people are the ones that go flying past you on the highway in the snow and 20mins you pass them as they are upside down in a ditch.

Personally, RWD is more FUN in the snow, I've driven crappy FWD cars all my life and never had an issue in the snow, this will be my first winter with the AWD, and chances are I'd rather take my beater to work instead of risking the Lexus with the rest of the nut jobs on our roads in the winter.
Referring to majority of customers as "consumers that hardly understand their cars" is extremely condescending, first. Secondly, just because you drive a RWD does not mean you know any more about your car than the majority of AWD owners. Just because you "chose" to get the RWD model does not mean everyone who "chose" the AWD did so just because they were told to by the sales person.

Sales numbers are the only true reflection of customer preference and what model is more suited. Saying anything otherwise is merely your opinion.
Old 09-04-15, 12:52 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

AWD holds up better in Canadian conditions. This is clearly evident from the number of AWD sales in Canada for IS and 2016 IS 350 only being available in AWD here.

Sales numbers are the only true reflection of customer preference and what model is more suited. Saying anything otherwise is merely your opinion.
So your right and everyone else is wrong then?

Please do educate us all then how the amount of sales of a car proves how it is more suited to the climate? If you don't think the average buyer of a car has no idea really how a car works or operates then your very niave. They buy what they like and hopefully what they can afford. If AWD was so superior and suited to our climate every other car on the road would have it or be some giant SUV.
Old 09-04-15, 12:59 PM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendanf
So your right and everyone else is wrong then?

Please do educate us all then how the amount of sales of a car proves how it is more suited to the climate? If you don't think the average buyer of a car has no idea really how a car works or operates then your very niave. They buy what they like and hopefully what they can afford. If AWD was so superior and suited to our climate every other car on the road would have it or be some giant SUV.
First of all, It's not my fault you cannot differentiate between your opinion and actual facts backed by numbers.

- If you think that the average buyer is just walking in to a dealership on a whim, in today's age of information and over-awareness, then I'm afraid you've deluded yourself into thinking you're the one who is right and everyone else just buys things without doing any research.
- Last time I drove down the highway, I am dead certain the majority of vehicles WERE SUVs and Trucks, and not coupes and sedans.

What Canada do you live in buddy? And, I'm happy for you and your RWD purchase. But, at no point did I say that AWD was the only way to go and RWD was the wrong choice. How about reading my previous posts before getting hostile on an internet forum next time?

Last edited by nocxx2; 09-04-15 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus IS350 RWD Canada