IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 FSport RWD in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 03:29 PM
Phunkypnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 FSport RWD in Snow

I'm driving from SoCal to the Midwest for the Holidays this winter and am wondering if anyone has any experience with a RWD FSport in snow? The fastest, most direct route takes me through Utah and Colorado, so there is a good chance I could see some snow. Last year there was none on the way out but it snowed almost the entire time on the way back. I'm debating whether I should risk it and take my car or rent a car (I'd rather not and save the $$). Let me know all your thoughts.
Old 09-03-15, 03:51 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a "snow mode" but I am not sure how good it is lol
Old 09-03-15, 03:58 PM
Phunkypnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SummerRain
We have a "snow mode" but I am not sure how good it is lol
Haha, yeah I know. I haven't looked it up but it probably cuts throttle power and increases traction control but it still has summer tires on it, so who knows how it will even handle or if it's worth trying.
Old 09-03-15, 04:01 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

I'd just get a rental with AWD.
Old 09-03-15, 06:04 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

snow mode doesnt change your tire's ability to grip the road in slippery conditions....

your primary concern should be tires, not the drivetrain. You would be much safer in a fwd or rwd car with highly rated all seasons or dedicated winter (performance or studable) than an AWD car with summer tires. If your tires are all-season rated with good tread, you'll likely be OK - I doubt a rental would have winter tires so you're no better off going that route IMO.

the only benefit snow mode will provide is easing the acceleration off the line to avoid excessive tire spin, but won't change the way the car turns or stops.
Old 09-03-15, 09:30 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When snow come my IS350 will be park in garage. Got back up car for winter
Old 09-04-15, 09:30 AM
Phunkypnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coldsoda
snow mode doesnt change your tire's ability to grip the road in slippery conditions....

your primary concern should be tires, not the drivetrain. You would be much safer in a fwd or rwd car with highly rated all seasons or dedicated winter (performance or studable) than an AWD car with summer tires. If your tires are all-season rated with good tread, you'll likely be OK - I doubt a rental would have winter tires so you're no better off going that route IMO.

the only benefit snow mode will provide is easing the acceleration off the line to avoid excessive tire spin, but won't change the way the car turns or stops.
Thanks, I understand all this as I've owned AWD Subarus, 4WD SUVs, and FWD cars all in the Midwest where it snows, some with dedicated snow tires even. What I want to know if anyone actually has experience with this particular car in the snow. I can assume since its RWD with summer tires, it probably won't move once there is 1/4 inch of snow on the ground and I just wanted to verify before I fork over the $$ to rent a car, which is more than likely what I'll end up doing. I just really would rather drive my car halfway across the country, if you know what I mean
Old 09-04-15, 10:58 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phunkypnut
Thanks, I understand all this as I've owned AWD Subarus, 4WD SUVs, and FWD cars all in the Midwest where it snows, some with dedicated snow tires even. What I want to know if anyone actually has experience with this particular car in the snow. I can assume since its RWD with summer tires, it probably won't move once there is 1/4 inch of snow on the ground and I just wanted to verify before I fork over the $$ to rent a car, which is more than likely what I'll end up doing. I just really would rather drive my car halfway across the country, if you know what I mean
I Dont have an RWD, (currently driving an IS250 AWD) but Ive had 2wd/RWD cars and I will say this.. Summer tires will get you by just fine in a 1/4 inch of snow and the temperature being about 30+ degrees. Look at a ruler, then look at a quarter inch of snow. its not enough to stop anything. When you think about it, if it snows, the roads will be warmer than the above ground temperature (due to cars moving), and the snow will either be soft, slush, or wont stick. That is the best case scenario. It will be similar to driving in rain which most summer tires are meant to handle. In that case you have absolutely nothing to worry about (other than the degenerates that drive with bald tires)

THIS IS A QUARTER INCH OF SNOW

WORST case scenario, its 20- degrees, it is snowing hard enough to drive over a layer of snow, or it is about 5+ inches of snow, thats where you have an "Oh *****" moment and you have 1 of two options (if the rental is not an option).
Option #1: You can either pull over and wait out the storm when it stops. Maybe even wait til the morning when weather seems to be much better and the roads will be plowed so you can drive like a regular person

Option #2: You suck it up and you wait for that plow that is probably throwing salt on the road as well and you drive directly behind him. Or maybe even stay 2/3 cars behind the plow(if that's an option). Not the best option but if its only temporary and you will be back in SoCal in a few days where you can have your car washed and give it the once over to avoid any rust.

AVOID THIS

You cant really weigh out your options until you know what conditions will be like so wait it out if you can

Last edited by NYKnick101; 09-04-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-18-15, 05:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I Dont have an RWD, (currently driving an IS250 AWD) but Ive had 2wd/RWD cars and I will say this.. Summer tires will get you by just fine in a 1/4 inch of snow and the temperature being about 30+ degrees. Look at a ruler, then look at a quarter inch of snow. its not enough to stop anything. When you think about it, if it snows, the roads will be warmer than the above ground temperature (due to cars moving), and the snow will either be soft, slush, or wont stick. That is the best case scenario. It will be similar to driving in rain which most summer tires are meant to handle. In that case you have absolutely nothing to worry about (other than the degenerates that drive with bald tires)

THIS IS A QUARTER INCH OF SNOW

WORST case scenario, its 20- degrees, it is snowing hard enough to drive over a layer of snow, or it is about 5+ inches of snow, thats where you have an "Oh *****" moment and you have 1 of two options (if the rental is not an option).
Option #1: You can either pull over and wait out the storm when it stops. Maybe even wait til the morning when weather seems to be much better and the roads will be plowed so you can drive like a regular person

Option #2: You suck it up and you wait for that plow that is probably throwing salt on the road as well and you drive directly behind him. Or maybe even stay 2/3 cars behind the plow(if that's an option). Not the best option but if its only temporary and you will be back in SoCal in a few days where you can have your car washed and give it the once over to avoid any rust.

AVOID THIS

You cant really weigh out your options until you know what conditions will be like so wait it out if you can
I use to live in the upper penisula of Michigan and I will tell you I know what ita like to drive in snow. Snow is really not something I would really worry about, its the ice that will bite you. It doesent matter what car or tire you have, if you dont know how to drive on ice it is dangerous. The only thing that will help with ice is dedicated snow tires. Doesnt matter if you have rwd, fwd, or Awd as long as you have winter tires you will be fine. All seasons may get you through safetly as sone as the tread is still good. Made it through many Michigan winters with All seasons but still prefer the confidence inspiring Winter tires. Driving summer tires in cold weather is a disaster waiting to happen. Summer tire compound is really rated for warm weather use. As soon as temperatures reach below 40f it does matter if there are snow on the ground or not, your stopping distance will dramatically increase even when the road is dry. Just watch some youtube videos about summer tires vs winter tires. If you go the car rental route just make sure it comes with at least all season tires.
Old 11-18-15, 09:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The only thing that will help with ice is dedicated snow tires. .
Unless the tire is studded, this is an inaccurate statement. A winter tire will slide on ice no different than any other tire.
Old 11-18-15, 09:21 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101

Ah, the type of road conditions that separate real drivers, and people who magically got a license. Also gives you a chance to point and laugh at the people that get stuck lol
Old 11-18-15, 01:11 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Unless the tire is studded, this is an inaccurate statement. A winter tire will slide on ice no different than any other tire.
That is not true, even studless winter tires can reduce braking distance significantly vs. all season or summer tires.

Old 11-18-15, 01:49 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
See the above post, but not all tires are the same...so your statement is actually incorrect. Winter tires are generally softer and have a unique tread design to improve grip in ice/snow conditions. It's a matter of coefficient of friction.

RWD or AWD who cares, just make sure you have adequate tires. I wouldn't even risk the touring summer tires on the RWD IS's in the snow, cold weather is fine but better safe then sorry. I had no problems with occasionally driving in 30-40F dry weather with the ER33's. I suspect they'll be dangerous in the snow tho.

IMO don't risk it if there's a chance of snow going through that area.
Old 11-18-15, 02:23 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phunkypnut
I'm driving from SoCal to the Midwest for the Holidays this winter and am wondering if anyone has any experience with a RWD FSport in snow? The fastest, most direct route takes me through Utah and Colorado, so there is a good chance I could see some snow. Last year there was none on the way out but it snowed almost the entire time on the way back. I'm debating whether I should risk it and take my car or rent a car (I'd rather not and save the $$). Let me know all your thoughts.
Driving my 250 RWD in Russia, I've got some good experience with snow and ice ) The RWD IS is definitely OK in winter IF You ride on a proper winter tires, studded or not. Any summer rubber losts its grip at temp below +5C, and my Toyo T1Sport feels like a piece of plastic below +10C. Beside tires the most important aspect of winter driving is Your head on your shoulders. Don't hit the pedal to the metal in turns until You wanna show some drifting skills