IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 10:32 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by valensi
I just went from a 2014 IS 250 F-Sport to a 2016 IS 200T F-Sport. Maybe I need to drive my IS 200T a bit more, but i'm really missing the quick responsiveness of the IS 250. Basically, the turbo lag is really bugging me. If i'm cruising at any speed, and I depress the pedal to accelerate, it isn't responsive, and there's a huge delay in power. and when the power does kick in, it still feels weak and sluggish. It actually feels as sluggish as the IS 250, but that was expected with the IS 250, since it was barely over 200HP with weak torque.

With the IS 200T, I was expecting a lot more power, torque, and quicker acceleration. But i'm getting none of that.

I'm torn on my car right now. and it's a sucky feeling.
I got the NX as a loaner car for two days and first time when I was experienced the turbo that I did not like it as the responsive of my IS250 but the torque does make it up. I didnt like it at first then several months later I did got the Nx again for three days and I fell in love with the turbo engine and I got addicting driving it. It will grow on you just give it time and you will get use to it.
Big congratulation on the new IS200T.
Old 10-08-15, 03:48 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

wow, quite a few negative review on the 2.0 turbo lag. i'm waiting on more info on BMW's new 2.0 turbo soon to be on their 330 and 430 in model year 2017
Old 10-08-15, 05:02 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

hi st gram below some info on the new 340 inline 6 turbo,
then n20 motor from what i research is not being changed its new in 2012 and its a great power plant, only thing i don't like about it is it requires premium which is with all turbo high performance 4's
below is info on the 340 motor and i heard its amazing2016 BMW 3 Series 340i are arriving at US dealerships now. One of the, if not the biggest change of the 2016 LCI is the replacement of the venerable N55 engine. The N55 has been the heart of the 335i 3 Series from 2009 on. Despite being long in the tooth the engine is much loved and relatively rock solid, the new B58 engine has big shoes to fill.

In a never ending quest for more performance and efficiency the B family of engines was developed. We dive into what makes the B58 3.0 liter TwinPower inline 6 engine special.

BMW B58 Highlights
3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder
Engine codes B58B30M0 (ULEV II) and B56B30M0 (SULEV) - Bx7 engines are diesel
Single turbo, twin scroll, water to air intercooling
Forged crankshaft and piston rods
Intake and exhaust VANOS
TwinPower Turbo Technologies
Modular B family design

The B58 6-cylinder engine forms part of the new in-line engine family. The B58 engine features elements including double VANOS, TwinPower exhaust turbocharger technology, indirect charge air cooling that has been integrated into the intake system and a heat management module.

The new engine generation is mainly characterized by lower fuel consumption and fewer exhaust emissions (It complies with Euro 6 in ECE and ULEV II in the US). A characteristic map-controlled oil pump, an injection system with direct rail and electric arc wire injection cylinder bores are used to achieve low fuel consumption. All engines are also equipped with an automatic engine start-stop function and intelligent generator control as a further EfficientDynamics measure. Compared with the N engines (N55/N20), the new B engine generation (B38/B48/B58) demonstrates a considerably higher number of common and interchangeable parts between the diesel (Bx7 models) and gasoline (Bx8) engines.
Old 10-08-15, 05:45 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the lag was very prominent when i test drove the NX, so i'm not surprised that there is a lag in the IS as well.
Old 10-09-15, 04:46 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
I do not agree with your analysis. Modern turbo cars *always* strive to get the boost going as low-down in the RPM range as possible. This allows them to operate at low RPM's, which gives best efficiency, and still have reasonable power available. This is why we see these engines producing peak torque at such low RPM's (assuming, of course, the turbo is spinning fast).

But, there always will be some lag, when you are puttering around at low RPM's. There's just not enough exhaust to keep the turbo spinning fast, unless RPM's and/or engine load increases.
Yes they strive to get in boost quickly, but many fail to do so imho, but I guess it depends on what you consider low rpms and what psi we're talking about. I'm talking about under 3k rpm. In my wrx, stock, you didn't reach full boost until about 3400 rpm. Stock, the boost was 14psi and you didn't get over 6-8psi until about 2500 rpm and full boost about 3400 rpm, which for me is too slow and typical from other turbo cars I've owned. That's why you feel that boost "kick in" cause the psi is low at real low rpms then ramps up real quick. You'll see this when viewing the boost curve on a dyno. With some parts including an up-pipe and downpipe, and a proper tune, I started hitting full boost about 800 rpm quicker, which meant a higher boost at much lower rpms. Stock the 60ft time was average 2.4 secs. After modded it was 1.4 sec. My IS350 is about 2.5 secs. And since the IS350 is 500lbs heavier with only 41 hp more and the 60ft almost the same that tells me boost was coming in too late, at least for me.

I have no idea at what rpm the 200t starts adding boost and where it hits peak, but from reading this thread it seems to be a bit slow to get into the "feel-able" boost range for most. Yes I do agree though if your puttering around in 5th gear at 3k rpm and you step on it there will be lag because there isn't enough exhaust. But down shifting helps that.
Old 10-10-15, 05:20 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

drive a bmw 328, bmw 340 with no lag, or a 528
you will have what you desire in low rpm power with virtually no lag,
lexus has build a great powertrain but they are couple years behind the germans, as usual they will catch up and exceed the germans at their own games. they got up to bat and hit a triple applaud them for their accomplishment, i was at one of the largest dealers in world yesterday they had 30 of them on lot and people were buying them in showroom and test driving them this will be a huge hit... i saw a f sport black with roja red interior stunning , as fyi i got in my 528 cpo and preferred the size and comfort but great car, the Gs200 t will be a huge hit as well
Old 10-10-15, 04:06 PM
2015isboy
Driver

People need to understand that Lexus builds first and foremost builds reliable cars. They can put together turbo like engines the Germans but they will make sure the car starts and the fuel pump is working. 328i is pretty reliable but i know 335i owners who love there cars but of so many issues. Lexus will catch up we just have to be patient.

I would love to see magnetic ride first and foremost how cool would that be?

Originally Posted by ls430lover
drive a bmw 328, bmw 340 with no lag, or a 528
you will have what you desire in low rpm power with virtually no lag,
lexus has build a great powertrain but they are couple years behind the germans, as usual they will catch up and exceed the germans at their own games. they got up to bat and hit a triple applaud them for their accomplishment, i was at one of the largest dealers in world yesterday they had 30 of them on lot and people were buying them in showroom and test driving them this will be a huge hit... i saw a f sport black with roja red interior stunning , as fyi i got in my 528 cpo and preferred the size and comfort but great car, the Gs200 t will be a huge hit as well
Old 10-12-15, 07:19 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IS200t Loaner

Hello,

This Saturday I dropped off one of my cars to get serviced and the dealer set me up in a brand new '16 IS200t. Once I found out I was getting the new turbo car for the weekend I was really looking forward to putting it through its paces. The car had 36 miles on the odometer when I took it home. Since then, I've put over 100 miles on it and I must say, this engine is a HUGE disappointment. It does not feel like 241hp/258tq. It is much less responsive/powerful than any IS250 I have ever owned. I would say the car is borderline dangerous because of its power delivery. From a complete stop, I literally mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor and nothing happens for nearly 2 seconds, thats insane! I can't imagine this engine in the heavier models like the RC/GS. I am really surprised Lexus would put out this kind of a subpar product. It is very very disappointing. C'mon Lexus you can do so much better!
Old 10-12-15, 07:44 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
People need to understand that Lexus builds first and foremost builds reliable cars. They can put together turbo like engines the Germans but they will make sure the car starts and the fuel pump is working. 328i is pretty reliable but i know 335i owners who love there cars but of so many issues. Lexus will catch up we just have to be patient.

I would love to see magnetic ride first and foremost how cool would that be?
its funny because when ever I see a lexus video in response to their new cars, they basically dont care what any German, British, or American car company is doing. They completely set their own styling, performance, and luxury and people end up buying it anyway.

I sometimes think other companies are doing too much with their new cars anyway. Yes I can buy a hellcat with 707hp or an AMG with 600 hp but to be honest, what are you really going to do with that much power on city streets anyway
Old 10-12-15, 07:46 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

I have a 2015 is250 that's about a year old. I have lowered it, put lighter enkei wheels, upper and lower front strut braces, intake and exhaust and I do not have a single regret that I don't have a turbo. My car is quick, peppy and handles phenomenal for a daily driver. I love the v6 growl and the predictability of the motor. If you are reading this and have a 250 stock and feel cheated, don't be upset. A few minor mods really wakes the 250 up to a very competent and sporty feeling daily driver. I too was regretful I didn't have the turbo, but after reading the feedback in this thread it looks like my regret is going away as the feedback seems somewhat negative about the ecu and gearing of the the new turbo.
Old 10-12-15, 08:30 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

Unlike those European manufacturers , Lexus, being the Japanese manufacturer, who is able to make the best hybrid car, really has no point to launch a turbo engine. (Japan has no emission tax). However, a weird trend has been growing in the market, people think any NA engine is old school and outdated and turbo is the king even there are still so many disadvantages. People only look at the figure, Anyway, Lexus has to answer to the market so launched a turbo car. To be honest, if fuel economy is not a concern, I don't think anyone would choose the 200T over the 3500cc v6

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Hello,

This Saturday I dropped off one of my cars to get serviced and the dealer set me up in a brand new '16 IS200t. Once I found out I was getting the new turbo car for the weekend I was really looking forward to putting it through its paces. The car had 36 miles on the odometer when I took it home. Since then, I've put over 100 miles on it and I must say, this engine is a HUGE disappointment. It does not feel like 241hp/258tq. It is much less responsive/powerful than any IS250 I have ever owned. I would say the car is borderline dangerous because of its power delivery. From a complete stop, I literally mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor and nothing happens for nearly 2 seconds, thats insane! I can't imagine this engine in the heavier models like the RC/GS. I am really surprised Lexus would put out this kind of a subpar product. It is very very disappointing. C'mon Lexus you can do so much better!
Old 10-12-15, 12:55 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

I would take that turbo anyday over the IS250.It will take time to get used to it.
Old 10-12-15, 05:28 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
I would take that turbo anyday over the IS250.It will take time to get used to it.
i'm the opposite. i'd take the 250 over the 200t anyday
Old 10-12-15, 05:54 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a 2008 IS350 and got a IS200t as a loaner for a few days (recall) I did test drive a new one last week but so far I'm not a fan of the car. It has great turn in like all the 3IS's (I have driven the IS250 and IS350 very extensively) but I'm not liking the turbo lag personally, the car probably goes faster than it feels and has a smooth transition for boost though. But the aggressive first gear in my 2nd gen IS350 I like so much better personally. I still think the IS200t is great but I might have been expecting too much. I do like the shifts in the 8speed but I wish it would not shift by itself near redline. My IS350 won't upshift in S mode unless I upshift, even as slow responding as it is. I think the IS250 feels faster initially off the line, but the IS200t is faster once that boost kicks in.
Old 10-12-15, 06:48 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rex2lex
Yes they strive to get in boost quickly, but many fail to do so imho, but I guess it depends on what you consider low rpms and what psi we're talking about. I'm talking about under 3k rpm. In my wrx, stock, you didn't reach full boost until about 3400 rpm. Stock, the boost was 14psi and you didn't get over 6-8psi until about 2500 rpm and full boost about 3400 rpm, which for me is too slow and typical from other turbo cars I've owned. That's why you feel that boost "kick in" cause the psi is low at real low rpms then ramps up real quick. You'll see this when viewing the boost curve on a dyno.
I would consider your WRX more of an "old school" turbo, designed mostly for big power from a small motor. Contrast that with most modern turbos, which are largely designed for fuel economy and emissions. The goal to run normally at very low RPM's, and we see many of these engines producing peak torque well-below 2000 RPM's.

Quick Reply: IS200t Test Drive