IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fake Leather smell

Old 09-02-15, 06:30 AM
jennyshop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake Leather smell

Hi,
I hope someone can help. We have the IS250 and my son can't stand that fake leather smell. We thought after a few year, it will fade or he'll get use to it. Neither happened. Is there anyways to get rid of that smell.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-15, 07:38 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried air fresheners?

In my opinion, Lexus' Nulux synthetic vinyl has the same look and feel benefits of leather, but is of far higher quality than leather and it doesn't smell like a dead cow. LOL, j/k! But seriously, I would take Nulux over cowhide anytime.

Nulux is extruded to a more uniform thickness, won't get soft or weak spots due to variations in hide thickness. Is probably thicker than your average unbacked leather. Has a consistent color and texture. Is color-fast all the way through, so if creases or tears eventually occur at least you will not see white'ish raw hide underneath. Is easily perforated so it vents like cloth which is more comfortable in hot weather. Is more lightweight, more durable and cheaper to manufacture.

By the way, are you sure it's the vinyl seats and not the foam underneath or some other interior panels or something that your son is pretending to be bothered by the smell? I doubt the seat vinyl is still gassing-off VOC's after 2 years.

Last edited by Machine13; 09-02-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 07:54 AM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer fake stripper smell:

Old 09-02-15, 08:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

While I prefer NuLuxe to leather, it does have a certain "funk" to it when new. I am either used to it now, or it has died down, but when it did bother me, I used Chemical Guys New Car Smell to great effect.
Old 09-02-15, 09:20 AM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smell in my car went away in 1 month. Just don't keep your windows closed.
Old 09-02-15, 10:05 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 09-02-15, 10:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ FWIW, I've tried the Chemical Guys Leather Scent. To me, it smelled like a leather belt or a pair of shoes, rather than auto interior leather. It didn't appeal to me, but may to others.
Old 09-02-15, 12:22 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Eat some Taco Bell in your car
Old 09-02-15, 01:24 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Old 09-02-15, 01:43 PM
ATP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baopee
LOL. i love it
Old 09-02-15, 04:04 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
Lmao @ that comment!

Was expecting some "JDM Squash yo!" comments
Old 09-02-15, 05:52 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Spray favorite cologne on bunch of clothes and leave it in car overnight lol.
Or roll down the windows more often? I've had my car for 8 months and the smell has faded a lot.
Old 09-03-15, 10:42 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I get all my refreshener supplies from http://squashair.com/
Take a look
Old 09-03-15, 11:02 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
LMAO best comment ever!

Get JDM Squash it's worth it.
Old 09-03-15, 02:06 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Machine13
Have you tried air fresheners?

In my opinion, Lexus' Nulux synthetic vinyl has the same look and feel benefits of leather, but is of far higher quality than leather and it doesn't smell like a dead cow. LOL, j/k! But seriously, I would take Nulux over cowhide anytime.

Nulux is extruded to a more uniform thickness, won't get soft or weak spots due to variations in hide thickness. Is probably thicker than your average unbacked leather. Has a consistent color and texture. Is color-fast all the way through, so if creases or tears eventually occur at least you will not see white'ish raw hide underneath. Is easily perforated so it vents like cloth which is more comfortable in hot weather. Is more lightweight, more durable and cheaper to manufacture.

By the way, are you sure it's the vinyl seats and not the foam underneath or some other interior panels or something that your son is pretending to be bothered by the smell? I doubt the seat vinyl is still gassing-off VOC's after 2 years.
No offence but I have to disagree based on my observation of driving a loaner 3IS from the dealership.

I find the nuluxe seats have some white spots/patches, especially on the side bottom bolster/support. Certainly it has a different texture and softer than the leather used in 3IS. Probably the color of the nuluxe seats does matter as well. The one in that particular loaner car is black and I suspect when the seats are in red, those white spots may not be there.

Another thing is someone has claimed Nuluxe won't have creases. Again, it applies to Nuluxe when they are being taken care of. Again, the loaner car I was in has horrible creases in the bottom side bolsters on the driver's seat.

On the other hand, the leather seats used in 3IS seem to have less creases when compared to the one in 2IS. It is probably due to the shape of the seats and the distribution of the stuff inside. The leather seats used in 3IS actually are constructed by leather and nuluxe -- the Nuluxe is used in the back of the seats and some less visible areas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fake Leather smell