Traded in my IS350 F Sport...here's why

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 06:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Traded in my IS350 F Sport...here's why

Originally Posted by gregerst
Sounds like you created this thread to either start a flame war or you're having second thoughts about trading in your IS350 and need us to agree with your decision so you'll feel better about it. I don't think any car is perfect. But the 3rd gen IS is pretty damn close for me and I actually don't mind the little minor quirks. It gives it some personality.

- The electronic issues with ipod, bluetooth, nav responsiveness has been mostly fixed with the latest lexus firmware and latest iOS from Apple. The remote touch responsiveness has been improved a lot as well.

- The nav screen isn't huge by any means but I wouldn't call it tiny either. It suits me just fine.

- Your the only person I've heard that doesn't like the LFA dash. The display behind it can be pretty useful with a lot of information. For example Nav directions right in front of you so you don't have to look away. Did you actually cycle through the different menu's?

- I don't mind that it doesn't stay in sport mode all the time. Why would I want to kill my gas mileage and be constantly abusing the engine and drive train. Sounds like something a teenager would whine about. Maybe a subaru sti would be better suited for you. I hear it will stay in sport mode.

-Memory seats, I've had them in just about every car I've owned and never once used them. I'm the primary driver of my car 99.99% of the time.

- If you didn't like the base audio system you should've opted for the ML system or upgraded it with after market components, which would equal or surpass ML.

- Remote start, I hear there's 3rd party solutions and in the long run their cheaper then paying a monthly fee to lexus.

- Center console. Yeah I agree the location of the cup holders isn't ideal. But small sacrifices had to be made to make one of the best driving cockpits of any sports sedan on the market. You gotta admit, once you get everything adjusted, sitting in the drivers seat just feels awesome. Screw that I have to reach back a little bit to use the cupholders that cockpit is awesome.

- Sunglass holder. There are little things called sunglass visor clips and only cost a few dollars. Problem solved.

Well said. I also love the powertrain. It might not be the fastest or torqueiest but it smoothly revs to redline with a beautiful song and more importantly feels like it can do it all day long without breaking. Creamy shifts even at redline. Really well balanced and beautiful car.
Old 09-01-15, 07:22 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

ppl getting nuts in here. let's pretend that someone wanted to start a thread to tell why he or she wanted to trade in their car and then listed the reasons for wanting to do so. let's also pretend that they wanted to compare their experiences from other cars, whether the same kind but different gen or a competitor. I bet it would look or sound something like the op posted. I came from a 1is300 so everything to me in this car is gravy. I never had to deal w/ smaller this or sports mode that or etc. I just feel fortunate to have a bucket w/ all these bells and whistles. if op isn't happy enough w/ the options, so be it. yes they bought the car...but anyone can buy anything and have second thoughts later.

I understand that ppl will agree to disagree. everyone's different...blah blah blah. nothing new, but I think it's ironic that just because they're fine w/ what op listed doesn't mean that the op's reasoning isn't a good reason to trade in the car...but everyone already knew that too...right?

Last edited by cp2; 09-01-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 08:40 AM
maddave
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Well said sir.. i agree with everything op has posted. Op loves most of the car just pointing out lil annoying dislikes, every car has em. hate it when car owners can't take alittle bad criticism and get defensive, thinking the car they bought is the best out there smh
Old 09-01-15, 01:34 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

People are just responding to his opinions with their own. Do you expect people to just say "Oh really? I see. Ok. Good luck with your next car." He listed all those issues expecting a response. The responses he's getting might not be the ones he would like to get, but like you said, everyone's different and has their own preferences.
Old 09-01-15, 01:45 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what car did he ended up trading for? I thought money wise the is350 does a good job vs its competitors overall as a car.
Old 09-01-15, 02:33 PM
cp2
Racer

Originally Posted by anamynous
People are just responding to his opinions with their own. Do you expect people to just say "Oh really? I see. Ok. Good luck with your next car." He listed all those issues expecting a response. The responses he's getting might not be the ones he would like to get, but like you said, everyone's different and has their own preferences.
I expect ppl to respond with their opinions but when they go on saying, "you should've..." then that looks like they're pushing or dictating their opinions on the other person instead of sharing their opinions. One of the ways we learn is trial by failure...so goes op's lesson; never shoulda/coulda/woulda without possessing the car for a bit.

Last edited by cp2; 09-01-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 03:24 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Wow, got some normal people in here and some "defend my purchase until I die" guys too haha. I would consider myself a Lexus guy too but come on. Not looking for a flame war at all, just having open conversation about a car that I spent a lot of money on. For me, after enough time spent with it the 3G just didn't improve upon the 2G well enough to justify me keeping the car. In fact it regressed in some areas and for over 40K there's better options inside and outside the IS's class.
Old 09-01-15, 03:37 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Since you addressed my points I'll address yours

Originally Posted by gregerst
- The electronic issues with ipod, bluetooth, nav responsiveness has been mostly fixed with the latest lexus firmware and latest iOS from Apple. The remote touch responsiveness has been improved a lot as well.

**Mostly "fixed" in a $45K car after a year is good enough for you, not for me.**

- The nav screen isn't huge by any means but I wouldn't call it tiny either. It suits me just fine.

**That's your opinion. As mentioned other cars in its price range and class have bigger and higher resolution screens.**

- Your the only person I've heard that doesn't like the LFA dash. The display behind it can be pretty useful

** I didn't say I don't like it. I think it looks awesome. I don't like that the "slide over" is useless (Ok except for nav, which you still have to take your eyes off the road)**

- I don't mind that it doesn't stay in sport mode all the time. Why would I want to kill my gas mileage and be constantly abusing the engine and drive train. Sounds like something a teenager would whine about. Maybe a subaru sti would be better suited for you. I hear it will stay in sport mode.

**LOL not even going to bother with this one**

-Memory seats, I've had them in just about every car I've owned and never once used them. I'm the primary driver of my car 99.99% of the time.

**Well, not me.**

- If you didn't like the base audio system you should've opted for the ML system or upgraded it with after market components, which would equal or surpass ML.

**I bought it used, that's what it came with.**

- Remote start, I hear there's 3rd party solutions and in the long run their cheaper then paying a monthly fee to lexus.

**How do you figure if I keep the car less than a few years like most people?**

- Center console. Yeah I agree the location of the cup holders isn't ideal. But small sacrifices had to be made to make one of the best driving cockpits of any sports sedan on the market. You gotta admit, once you get everything adjusted, sitting in the drivers seat just feels awesome. Screw that I have to reach back a little bit to use the cupholders that cockpit is awesome.

**So you think the IS cockpit is better than the RC's??**

- Sunglass holder. There are little things called sunglass visor clips and only cost a few dollars. Problem solved.

**Have one. A nitpick? Yes. Not built in as the 2G's and a step back which is my whole point? Yes.**
Old 09-01-15, 03:44 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by livinitup7

- The "sport" mode is silly. I have to turn a dial every time I drive just to get the same throttle response as my old car? Normal mode has nowhere near the acceleration as a gen 2 normal driving.
Absolutely agree with you on this. Anyone who drove a 2IS and 3IS can tell you the difference. Feels like a ripoff, but i do like sport+ with the holding revs and adaptive suspension.
Old 09-01-15, 04:22 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

So - has livinitup7 said what his new vehicle is? I might of missed it.

Also - trying to figure out who said what in post 38 could drive you crazy - very confusing.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 09-01-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 05:25 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Lol, seeing how the OP would respond to others' opinions by saying "that's your opinion," I don't see this going anywhere. Obviously everyone has their own thoughts and taste, and people don't like the OP's opinions and the OP doesn't like other people's opinions. Shall we just say good luck with whatever vehicle you chose over your Lexus (a mystery everyone is dying to know )and get on with our lives?
Old 09-01-15, 06:06 PM
cp2
Racer

i concur 8, 9, 10
Old 09-01-15, 06:26 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We should just lock this thread lol. This is a joke...
Old 09-01-15, 07:13 PM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The throttle response and having to switch to sport mode argument is kinda silly. The 3is has an 8-speed tranny with much different ratios than the 2is... I mean, that's why they give you driving modes in the first place... or a manual shifting modes to drop the gears down yourself....

Yeah the "regular" mode default seems a little shortsighted on Lexus' part, but you shouldn't be surprised that an automatic car wants to do automatic things.
Old 09-01-15, 07:15 PM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

And christ, it takes literally half a second to turn that mode-selector... Is that any more effort than turning your volume up or down?

Quick Reply: Traded in my IS350 F Sport...here's why