IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Traded in my IS350 F Sport...here's why

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 03:04 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cantinoz
but 8 years down the line when you are in the shop with your audi, bmw, porsche, lambo, ferrari, mercedes. all us lexus owners would be driving the car like it was brand new.
Well friend, you have fun driving a 2014 car in the year 2022 with 150,000 or so miles on it.
Old 08-31-15, 03:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Hopefully you can find something that suits your preferences better. Life is too short to drive something you're not enamored with!

Good luck!
Old 08-31-15, 03:10 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by livinitup7
Well friend, you have fun driving a 2014 car in the year 2022 with 150,000 or so miles on it.
You're starting to sound bitter and arrogant...
Old 08-31-15, 03:48 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Says the guy who had an 06/07 IS before........
Old 08-31-15, 03:49 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Lots of people are still driving 2006 IS currently and having fun with it
Old 08-31-15, 04:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Lots of people are still driving 2006 IS currently and having fun with it
It was a nice car but had a couple big faults that I couldn't overlook. The back seat was a complete joke in that car...my midget kids could barely fit back there Also, the handling wasn't good. I thought the G37 was a better handler and was bigger to boot! The 3IS addresses both very well and I find is way more aggressive looking. I hate to say it but the 2IS was pretty enough to be a chick car
Old 08-31-15, 04:07 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
It was a nice car but had a couple big faults that I couldn't overlook. The back seat was a complete joke in that car...my midget kids could barely fit back there Also, the handling wasn't good. I thought the G37 was a better handler and was bigger to boot! The 3IS addresses both very well and I find is way more aggressive looking. I hate to say it but the 2IS was pretty enough to be a chick car
I am just trying to predict how 3IS owners feel in 2022. Definitely better than how 2IS owners feel now
Old 08-31-15, 04:48 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to move on after having my 2014 IS350 F Sport for less than a year. I loved the way it looked and got a lot of compliments but I'm just done with it. I enjoyed my 2007 IS350 more to be honest.

I don't want to complain but after having 3 IS's and a loyal Lexus guy I feel they let us down with some things.

- Nav system is a step down from the previous version IMO. The old version was smoother as you drove and the graphics were cleaner. The control pad is wonky and annoying, a touchscreen was much easier to use in the gen 2 style.

- The Ipod issue. Come on Lexus. It's 2015.

- Bluetooth was slow to connect, and hit and miss reconnecting if you leave the car with your phone and come back. My gen 2 had zero issues.

- The "sport" mode is silly. I have to turn a dial every time I drive just to get the same throttle response as my old car? Normal mode has nowhere near the acceleration as a gen 2 normal driving.

- The small screen. Huge area for a nice screen so why keep it so small?

- Center console design is atrocious. They fixed it with the RC, but having to **** your arm back so far just to grab a drink was just bad engineering. Plus having huge buttons for traction control/snow and the placement didn't make sense.

- No ability for remote start on the 14's

- No memory seats

- Gimmicky LFA dash. It's pretty no doubt- but why would anyone want to "move" it? There's no additional information! And if there was, why would we have to move it every time you start the car?

- Sound system (non- Marc Levinson) is awful. Again, step backwards from gen 2.

- No sunglass holder? It was there on gen 2, but now gone for an SOS button. Thanks Lexus.

Yeah I may be *****ing but I'm truly sad they made some of these choices on a 40+K car. Anyway guys it's been real. I'll be back one day!
I totally agree with you when it comes to the ridiculousness of sport mode. I came from a 2008 IS350 and I sincerely miss the everyday throttle response and 6 speed on that car. My 2015 is an embarrassment when it comes to that (unless I want to switch it to sport mode every time I start the car). Otherwise I'm happy with the car. I leased mine for 2 years so I'm hoping the IS300t will be out and take care of the responsiveness issue when it's time for an upgrade.

Good luck with your new car!
Old 08-31-15, 06:02 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think everyone will see it differently, personally i love my car, even with all design quirks and the issues that continues to persist. After a while, I've moved on and learned to appreciate the car for all the great reasons i bought the car in the first place. I bought the car for a perfect balance of fun and reliability, and i have exactly that, so i have no regrets. Since these issues prevents the op from appreciating the rest of the car, then this really isn't the right car him, so it's definitely the right choice in my mind.
Old 08-31-15, 09:08 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Originally Posted by nixx621
I totally agree with you when it comes to the ridiculousness of sport mode. I came from a 2008 IS350 and I sincerely miss the everyday throttle response and 6 speed on that car. My 2015 is an embarrassment when it comes to that (unless I want to switch it to sport mode every time I start the car). Otherwise I'm happy with the car. I leased mine for 2 years so I'm hoping the IS300t will be out and take care of the responsiveness issue when it's time for an upgrade.

Good luck with your new car!
Appreciate that, I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices. Not bitter at anything, just disappointed. I still love the way she looks but yep just time to move on.
Old 08-31-15, 09:12 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Originally Posted by anamynous
Says the guy who had an 06/07 IS before........
And? Who said I bought them new? Actually I bought all 3 used, I let some other sucker take the depreciation.

One other nitpick- no digital clock anywhere! Ridiculous! Lol.
Old 08-31-15, 10:15 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was quite surprise the car does not have sunglass holder. However, I put my sunglass in its case, then put it in the small box beneath the right arm rest. Problem solved. The "moving LFA tachometer" was also a reason why I chose the F sport. You could've chosen the non F sport if dont like its look.
Old 08-31-15, 11:46 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Originally Posted by leo877
I was quite surprise the car does not have sunglass holder. However, I put my sunglass in its case, then put it in the small box beneath the right arm rest. Problem solved. The "moving LFA tachometer" was also a reason why I chose the F sport. You could've chosen the non F sport if dont like its look.
No I think the look is cool as hell. I just don't see the point in having it slide over. There's no usefulness to have it do that except for being a gimmick to show your friends. It just moves the same info to a different place.
Old 09-01-15, 01:28 AM
evident
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

One other nitpick- no digital clock anywhere! Ridiculous! Lol.
and if there was, would you be complaining that the same digital clock can be found in a corolla?

biggest complaint for me is the cupholders and no sunglass holder.
Old 09-01-15, 06:27 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you created this thread to either start a flame war or you're having second thoughts about trading in your IS350 and need us to agree with your decision so you'll feel better about it. I don't think any car is perfect. But the 3rd gen IS is pretty damn close for me and I actually don't mind the little minor quirks. It gives it some personality.

- The electronic issues with ipod, bluetooth, nav responsiveness has been mostly fixed with the latest lexus firmware and latest iOS from Apple. The remote touch responsiveness has been improved a lot as well.

- The nav screen isn't huge by any means but I wouldn't call it tiny either. It suits me just fine.

- Your the only person I've heard that doesn't like the LFA dash. The display behind it can be pretty useful with a lot of information. For example Nav directions right in front of you so you don't have to look away. Did you actually cycle through the different menu's?

- I don't mind that it doesn't stay in sport mode all the time. Why would I want to kill my gas mileage and be constantly abusing the engine and drive train. Sounds like something a teenager would whine about. Maybe a subaru sti would be better suited for you. I hear it will stay in sport mode.

-Memory seats, I've had them in just about every car I've owned and never once used them. I'm the primary driver of my car 99.99% of the time.

- If you didn't like the base audio system you should've opted for the ML system or upgraded it with after market components, which would equal or surpass ML.

- Remote start, I hear there's 3rd party solutions and in the long run their cheaper then paying a monthly fee to lexus.

- Center console. Yeah I agree the location of the cup holders isn't ideal. But small sacrifices had to be made to make one of the best driving cockpits of any sports sedan on the market. You gotta admit, once you get everything adjusted, sitting in the drivers seat just feels awesome. Screw that I have to reach back a little bit to use the cupholders that cockpit is awesome.

- Sunglass holder. There are little things called sunglass visor clips and only cost a few dollars. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Traded in my IS350 F Sport...here's why