IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audiophiles and the Mark Levingson System

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 11:12 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audiophiles and the Mark Levingson System

I have never purchased a new car without upgrading the audio system. I'm a pretty big fan of ML Audio and have several older components in my home system. I'm debating if I should order this in the new IS 350. My dealer had no IS's with the ML so I couldn't hear one. I did listen to one in a 2012 GS but I thought it lacked volume especially in the bottom end.
Are there any audiophiles in the forum with opinions on the ML in the 2015 IS?
Old 08-30-15, 04:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi welcome to the forum.

I won't claim to be an audiophile nor do I have the ML in my IS, but I've had it on two past RXs and also heard an ML home system, and no comparison (personally). Home is better - better tone/clarity and rich bass from low to upper volumes. It's not to say the ML was bad, in fact I enjoyed it in my RXs. Of course if you were getting an LS or LX, different story as those systems are truly top-end ML systems. To level-set expectations, I would not expect better than what you heard in the GS. See these threads for more owner comments on the IS's ML:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...specifics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-worth-it.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ewer-ml-s.html
Old 08-30-15, 07:13 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I listened to non-ML in 3IS and when I compare to the ML in my own 3IS, the difference is there but not very drastic. I think it has something to do with the tight room and it hurts the acoustic. Home ML is another thing. Room acoustic is already much better and at least you can tweet your room to improve the sound as well.

ML used in LS is different -- Lexus calls it Reference ML. Haven't listened to it but would love to.
Old 08-30-15, 07:58 AM
Paulf1
Rookie

Thanks for the information and the links.
Old 08-30-15, 08:53 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had ELS, Lexicon, and now ML. ELS is my preference. ML is right there in sound quality with ELS but seems forward sounding -- like a 2 channel system -- and limited options for customizing.
Old 08-30-15, 08:32 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ML system in my 3IS and it is much better than the standard audio system (I have compared back to back, and adjusted audio settings).

That said, I have built some good car audio systems in previous cars and the ML system is not as good as you can build yourself. My last car with precision power 3 way fronts was clearer and louder than the ML, and the stock ML sub isn't anything special. The system does get quite loud without distorting and overall I'm happy with it. Check out some of the car audio forums and they do speak highly of the ML setups FWIW

As of now, I am not going to mess with the car's ML audio system this time around. it is good enough to get me to work and back, but I'm not going to try to pretend its as good as a well thought out aftermarket setup. I think you'll be happy with the ML system, but there is very little you can adjust compared to a full DSP you can find aftermarket. I've considered adding a JBL MS-8 to the car, but haven't decided to jump into that project yet...
Old 08-31-15, 12:39 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Coming from my previous car which had $5K worth of sound gear I found the ML lacking in sound detail, stereo imaging & the bottom end was pretty poor.

I've dropped just over $10K worth of gear into it & now sounds awesome. Had a pro install & tune done for around $3K & it's chalk & cheese compared to the ML. The main problem was getting a decent audio source with lossless music. The ML head unit only accepts lossy formats so bought an iPod Classic & have everything in Apple Lossless Format.
Old 08-31-15, 05:34 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the ML and when i get non ML loaners it sounds like garbage in comparison.

Not to say that the ML is without its downsides, but if you are comparing the two dealer options than do the ML.
Old 08-31-15, 05:43 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's going to depend on what your expectations are. Some audiophiles may think the ML system is ok while others may not. The best thing you can do is try to listen to it yourself before you decide.
But a properly tuned high end after market system with full DSP functionality will easily blow it away. I have over 5k in gear ready to be installed in my non-ML f-sport. I'm a diy kinda guy and will be doing the install myself like I've done in my previous cars. Source is AFLAC lossless from iPod classic 5.5G with wolfson dac and internal hard drive upgraded to 128GB SDXC.
Old 08-31-15, 10:18 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^Agree
FLAC/ALAC with DAC on top of ML will make your ML system sound much better.

To OP:
I'm a touring musician and have picky ears.
I've tried upgrading my sub (in trunk), but it just never sounds as good as if the sub is in the cabin.
And I did not want to mess with the ML amp/wires.... so I sold the sub, and went back to the original ML setup.

If you want more bottom end, I recommend getting the V-moda Vamp Verza, since it has a bass boost on top of the DAC function. I'm using this, and I like it.

There are also other brands like Fiio that lets you adjust the EQ from the DAC. (Not sure how the DAC actually is, but the reviews are good)
If you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, a cheap alternative is to download apps that allows you to adjust the EQ manually from your iPhone / iPod Touch.

Last edited by Rebirthing; 08-31-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 01:42 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I've always had aftermarket audio system in my previous cars. I was really surprised how good the ML system is. I don't find the need to do any aftermarket upgrades. Now if what you're looking for is loud bass to where your neighbor could hear, ML is not it. It's a great all around sounding system. My only wish is that I had more settings to play with or an equalizer. But overall I'm very satisfied .
Old 08-31-15, 02:02 PM
hbcmomo
Driver School Candidate

Whats the consensus on the stoke radio for someone who isn't an audiophile? I tend to only really listen to podcasts in the car with some light mix of Pandora. I don't tend to blare the stereo that loud as it typically gives me headaches to do so.
Old 08-31-15, 06:35 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hbcmomo
Whats the consensus on the stoke radio for someone who isn't an audiophile? I tend to only really listen to podcasts in the car with some light mix of Pandora. I don't tend to blare the stereo that loud as it typically gives me headaches to do so.
Non-ML speakers would do just fine for your needs.
Old 08-31-15, 06:55 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

I had non ML stereo system in my previous generation IS 250 and it was really good all around, especially at the low end. I like the ML system in my 3rd gen, but would not upgrade if I had a choice. I just have it because it was part in parcel with the top end Package.

I prefer the old stock premium audio, but that's my opinion.
Old 08-31-15, 07:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not impressed with the 3IS ML. I thought the base speakers in the 4GS sounded better than the ML in the 3IS.

Quick Reply: Audiophiles and the Mark Levingson System