IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What is wrong with people?! Someone hit my IS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 12:11 PM
cupofjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey guys, so i wanted to share my experience because i want to know whats the best way to proceed with this. Parked in a parking lot today in Long Beach,NY with my mother in the passenger seat a lady in a 05' Expedition for some reason decides its a good idea to try and squeeze into the spot next to mine. Well she misjudged at hit me. but oh it gets better. I get out to confront her and this woman backs up, and looks me dead in the face and just drives away . Boy was i PISSED. i did manage to compose myself and take down her plate number and notified authorities right away. I have geico and apparently she has All American Insurance, sounds like a bs insurance company to me.

Anyway guys, thakfully my mother and I were okay and now i have to go through the process of fixing my baby. Ive put so much money into this car it just hurts that some moron could just screw it up and drive away thinking thats the rational thing to do. Currently awaiting the police report, should be available on Monday. My questions are

1) I financed this car, can i claim a diminished value on it?
2) from the pictures, do you guys think there is ANY way i can do this with pointless dent removal and not have to repaint? (probably not)
3) is white a easy color to match? i know this is a tri-stage paint, but i really don't want to touch anything else other than the front fender and door.

ugh this whole thing sucks and is so disheartening. anyway heres a pic. any further advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys. if my New Yorkers could recommend a good body shop for me too that would be great. will the car ever be the same? lol
That really sucks. I've had it happen to my BMW a few times, I know how you feel. Getting it fixed right is definitely gonna ease the pain.

Don't contact your insurance. Contact hers. Its a damaged property claim, not an accident. If your insurance doesn't have to foot the bill initially, then spend man hours chasing hers, they won't want to up your premiums.

That definitely needs new panels and a respray, so go to a quality shop. Someone suggested Martino Auto Concepts in Glen Cove, and I've heard nothing but great things about them. AMAP Collision in Farmingdale took care of my BMW, and they were fantastic. Some of the worst work I've ever seen was by a "BMW Certified Collision Center" in LI, so those titles mean nothing. A quality shop will match the paint.

Get a nice rental. Don't settle for some Toyota Yaris. Tell them you need the same size car or bigger for work. From Enterprise, thats a full size or above (Enterprise tends to under size your car and oversize theirs).

Feel free to PM me any questions (or ask here). I've unfortunately had to deal with this a lot with my last car (it was a magnet for bad things). Hope you get it settled quickly, and it looks good as new!
Old 08-29-15, 02:01 PM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by jd93
Wow I posted earlier on this thread and went out to my car an hour later today to find a nice big scrape on my fender at the rear bumper. I'm beyond pissed off.
Wow, that really sucks. It's a curse like in those movies. Anyone reading or replying to this thread will have damage to their vehicle the next time they go out to crank her up......
Old 08-29-15, 07:14 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
That's how I get my exercise these days..by parking as far away as possible in any lot from other people. My wife is used to be scouting out the ideal parking spot. In fact, I have refused to even go into a few stores due to their pathetic parking lots full of cars and tiny sized parking spots
Same here. I will refuse to go to some stores due to pathetic parking lots and park my car very far away. However, you still need to judge whether the spot is visible by others as there was another problem that I experienced before --- vandalism on a car in a too quite parking spot.. A dash cam will help but when damage is done, you still need to do some aftermath.
Old 08-29-15, 07:17 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry forgot to upload the picture
Sorry to hear what happened. Paintless dent removal is not an option in this case. Find a good bodyshop, explain clearly what your expectations and concerns before they start the repair. Most likely, they need to blend the paint on the the same side....
Old 08-29-15, 08:37 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

hey guys thank you for all your responses,
jd93..really sorry to hear about your car =/ that really stinks man. don't get how people are so inconsiderate.

still upset guys, and yes yes i know its just a car. but the car had a lot of sentimental value and it was a gift to myself and i worked long and hard trying to fix it up. had the vehicle almost 2 years and 13.5k miles and all it took was 5 seconds to ruin it
Old 08-29-15, 09:14 PM
Stevent
Driver

hey guys thank you for all your responses,
jd93..really sorry to hear about your car =/ that really stinks man. don't get how people are so inconsiderate.

still upset guys, and yes yes i know its just a car. but the car had a lot of sentimental value and it was a gift to myself and i worked long and hard trying to fix it up. had the vehicle almost 2 years and 13.5k miles and all it took was 5 seconds to ruin it
It's true it's just a car... But if people weren't inconsiderate it wouldn't be an issue. It's not just about the damage to the car. It's about all the other stuff that we have to deal with like dealing with insurance, fixing the car and getting a rental/loaner.

Best of luck to fixing your car and getting it back to tip top condition. Maybe you will get some cash to spend on your car.....like new rims.
Old 08-29-15, 09:43 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Same here. I will refuse to go to some stores due to pathetic parking lots and park my car very far away. However, you still need to judge whether the spot is visible by others as there was another problem that I experienced before --- vandalism on a car in a too quite parking spot.. A dash cam will help but when damage is done, you still need to do some aftermath.
You know what pisses me off when parking far away? That someone still manages to find it appealing to park right beside your car! With all the available parking spaces close to the store, but no they will park right beside you. I had this happened two weeks ago and found two minor door dings caused by this old minivan passenger door. I just don't get it! I parked so far away and there were many spaces closer to the building. Luckily pointless dent repair fixed the dents and good as new. Still pissed off that I had to spend $75 . To the OP find a reputable shop to do the repair. If possible see what they've done in the past and the quality of work from reviews. It just sucks that no matter how much you care for your assets, you can't control carelessness of others.
Old 08-30-15, 07:45 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
The women sounds like a real fool. Just looked you in the eye and drove away? Amazing. They should arrest her for that as in leaving the scene of an accident. 10 to 1 she does not even have a valid drivers license.
I would have made sure she was arrested and would have looked her dead in the eye as they were taking her away.
Old 08-30-15, 11:29 AM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
You know what pisses me off when parking far away? That someone still manages to find it appealing to park right beside your car! With all the available parking spaces close to the store, but no they will park right beside you. I had this happened two weeks ago and found two minor door dings caused by this old minivan passenger door. I just don't get it! I parked so far away and there were many spaces closer to the building. Luckily pointless dent repair fixed the dents and good as new. Still pissed off that I had to spend $75 . To the OP find a reputable shop to do the repair. If possible see what they've done in the past and the quality of work from reviews. It just sucks that no matter how much you care for your assets, you can't control carelessness of others.
Man, that really burns me too. They'll pass up 20 spaces and park right next to you. On top of that, as someone posted earlier, park too far away and some creep keys your car. I know it's just a car, an inanimate object, but I try to maintain the appearance and working condition of all my possessions.

Take care of your stuff, and your stuff will take care of you.
Old 08-30-15, 11:33 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my experience -- every body shop I got an estimate from stated that they can match the color of my car perfectly because it is ordered from the manufacturer by the VIN number. If true -- you should be good to go.

If you have a small dent, crease, etc. the body shop will tell you they have to paint the whole part. For example, had a crease on my door -- each BS said they had to paint the whole door because of clear coat issues. Don't know if that's true but they all said it.
Old 08-30-15, 11:36 AM
jd93
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted $250 CDN to fix my small scrape that is showed in the above picture...... They said they need to essentially fix it then paint a small section around it and blend it all in. Now I'm more worried about how it's going to look after its "fixed" then it does right now as its very minimal
Old 08-30-15, 02:59 PM
knG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my IS250 F Sport about a month ago and looks like someone already scuffed it with something I can't even make out. Anyone know what this looks like and how much it'll cost to get it fixed? Tried claybarring it with no avail.

Here's a picture:

You can barely see it unless you stand in the right lighting but it's on the driver side door and I can't help but look at it every time I open my door.
Old 08-30-15, 03:02 PM
jd93
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knG
Just got my IS250 F Sport about a month ago and looks like someone already scuffed it with something I can't even make out. Anyone know what this looks like and how much it'll cost to get it fixed? Tried claybarring it with no avail.

Here's a picture:

You can barely see it unless you stand in the right lighting but it's on the driver side door and I can't help but look at it every time I open my door.
That small scuff on the left of the handle? That looks like it's just a clear coat scrape shouldn't cost much at all, maybe even buff it out on your own with some polishing compound
Old 08-30-15, 06:30 PM
knG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd93
That small scuff on the left of the handle? That looks like it's just a clear coat scrape shouldn't cost much at all, maybe even buff it out on your own with some polishing compound
It's above the handle, in the middle of the picture there's a faint grey line across the the side of the door near the highest point of the shadow reflecting off the car.
Old 08-30-15, 07:23 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by knG
It's above the handle, in the middle of the picture there's a faint grey line across the the side of the door near the highest point of the shadow reflecting off the car.
You should be able to polish that by hand with some good wax and make it less noticeable. It doesn't look deep to me. It looks like someone leaned in your car and their jeans caused that.

Last edited by 3ISRC; 08-30-15 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with people?! Someone hit my IS350 F-Sport