IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer Spoiler Install Fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 08:22 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Spoiler Install Fail

So I bought my car 2 weeks ago and part of the deal was that the dealer would order and install the spoiler for me and boy do I regret it! I should have just asked for more discount on the car instead. My poor car... the dealer has spent more time with my car then me at this point.

Trip#1
Once the spoiler arrived, I dropped off the car to install the spoiler but what I got back was sub-par! Spoiler had paint chipped in two places, there was a huge gap between the spoiler and trunk lid on one side, and it was not centered! The car was not washed at all and I could see the bits of metal in my trunk from the drilling. Originally the service manger tried to say I used cheap paint....only problem with that statement was that, the dealer ordered the spoiler and install it before I could even see or touched the spoiler! They agreed to replace and reinstall the spoiler for me and I just had to come back in a few days.

Trip#2
So I picked up the car again expecting to see a perfect car. I checked the car...it was not washed again but looked like it was installed properly. I decided it was ok so I started to drive off. After a few feet I decided to pull into one of the parking spaces and do a second check in the sun. Good thing I did! So there is a white smudge in the spoiler. You can barely see it..and it looks like someone touched the paint before it dried. I also noticed that there were two chips just under the spoiler on my trunk. So one of the employees said it was just dirty and they would just clean it for me. I know what a chip looks like. They call the supervisor after they see that I am quite angry.

Its what the supervisor tells me that is the icing on the cake. He tells me that he doesn't see the white smudge and I am just being PICKY. He claims that the paint chips are just dirt. He proceeds to try to "clean" the paint chips. After he tries a few times to "clean" the paint chips he continues to deny it was damaged. After voicing my frustration, he says he will re order the part and repaint my trunk lid. I don't think I want them to repaint my BRAND NEW car even if its just the trunk lid.. I am asking them to give me a NEW trunk lid, give me money to get the spoiler somewhere else, and pay for it to be stalled somewhere else. I ended up just leaving and agreed I would come back after the new spoiler arrives again. I haven't decided what I should have them do.

If I wanted sub-par job I should have just done it myself. What do you guys think I should do? I am thinking they should replace the trunk lid at the very least and detail the car. My car barely has ~100 miles and half of that is from driving to the dealer and back. I do plan on calling Lexus Corporate office or at the very least the person at the very top of the service department.
Old 08-27-15, 08:40 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post the name of the dealership for reference.

I would ABSOLUTELY call the Lexus Corporate office. This **** would infuriate me as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to the repaint of the trunk lid but I would be reluctant for the dealership to do it. I'd ask where they're planning on sending it for paint and "interview" that shop yourself. If you are not satisfied with what you find, do some research, find a place you're comfortable with and get a price quote. Insist at that point that they use your shop

Hope it all works out.
Old 08-27-15, 08:43 PM
Stevent
Driver

I got my car at Longo Lexus. They use their own people at the dealer for service and repairs. I was actually quite surprised at how bad the service department was considering how awesome the service department Toyota's side. Both dealer is owned by the same owner.
Old 08-27-15, 09:19 PM
steveim86
Driver School Candidate

i understand your frustration. When I got my is350 about a month ago, i found a dent on the body and deep scratch (2 days after the purchase) on the moonroof. dealer denied seeing any damage. They eventually agree to fix the dent but not the moonroof issue. Today I found my visor plastic cover is cracked, and the sales man said thats something he cant replace.

He said thats something you dont see unless you pull down the visor. Its no big deal kinda ****. Now I spent $40 ordering the cover.

Dont go to Tustin Lexus in Socal. Worst customer service.
Old 08-28-15, 02:32 AM
Stevent
Driver

Although I am having a bad experience with Longo Service Department but I do want to point out that my sales person, finance manager, and service advisor were excellent. It was just the tech that did the install and the service department supervisor that I have issues with.
Old 08-28-15, 05:38 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I had a similar issue when I bought my 350 last fall. I had wanted a spoiler and was planning on ordering, but my DD got totaled (not my fault) and I didn't have the time to wait for an order. They had just received one that was exactly what I wanted minus the spoiler, so they said they would install it for me and it would be on when I took delivery of the car.

Well, my husband and I showed up for delivery, and my salesman came running over to me. He proceeded to explain that service installed the spoiler crooked. It was about 1/4 inch too far in one direction. Blah. So I took delivery of the car anyway (this was a Saturday), then brought it back on Monday. They gave me a loaner for work and I picked it back up later with a new spoiler installed.

It looked fine for a couple of days, and then suddenly both ends of the spoiler were popping up off of the trunk surface. Sigh.

So it went back for a third time. This time, when they returned the car to me, there were two HUGE paint gouges on my trunk where it looked like one of the service guys shoved the spoiler and bolts into the back of my trunk (the flat part above the license plate area). And the top of the trunk surface was COVERED in little scratches.

Unacceptable. I raised such hell over this that the owner/VP of this dealership chain actually gave me an entire new trunk.

It pretty much soured my opinion of the service department at the dealership, but they promised that nothing like this would ever happen again and they are also never installing spoilers in service anymore either. Going forward, they will be having their body shop do it (duh). It's been almost a year, and neither myself nor my husband have had another bad experience with the service department - knock on wood.

Bottom line.....make sure they get that fixed to your liking. I also refused to let them repaint the trunk on a brand new car. Tell them you insist on a new trunk!
Old 08-28-15, 10:56 AM
Stevent
Driver

Thanks for input everyone! So I talked to Lexus corporate. The lady told me all she can really do is document what happened and I should talk to the manager of the service department. I am having a hard time trying to get a hold of the manager. However I have decided how I want the dealer to fix the issue. I want them to replace the trunk lid with a new one as well as detail the car. One of the service advisor suggested I request they switch the trunk lid with another car that already has one pre installed and let the dealer clean up the mess without wasting more of my time. So I may request that. I will update when I get a hold of someone with power at the dealer.
Old 08-30-15, 06:51 PM
Passat774
Driver

Can we see pictures of the chips and smudge?
Old 08-30-15, 07:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Since you mentioned great service from the sales side, reach out to your sales rep for help if the Service department gives you trouble. At my dealer, my sales rep takes ownership of any issues I have had as they are strong proponents of providing after-sales service for the duration you own the vehicle.

As per Passat774, do you have any pics?
Old 08-30-15, 08:28 PM
Stevent
Driver

I know I should have taken some pics. When I tried to take a pic of the smudge, it wouldn't come out of the pictures so I just gave up taking any pics. =/ The paint chips looks like they could be rock chips if it was in the front of the car. I was going to wait until I got the car back for a third time to give an update but I guess this a good time.

The service director gave me a call on Friday to bring the car in. I am not sure if its because I complained to my sales rep or its because I called Lexus corps. We agreed on a new trunk lid and new spoiler installed by the body shop at the dealer and not their service department. I was given some credit to spend at the dealership too. Since it was a Friday, they won't have the spoiler until Tuesday so they gave me a loaner to drive for a few days. Hopefully everything will work out this time......
Old 08-30-15, 08:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Sounds like they are working to resolve this the right way to ensure your full satisfaction.
Old 09-04-15, 05:15 PM
Stevent
Driver

So I was to have the car back today but unfortunately I don't have the car at all! When they repainted the spoiler, they didnt do a good job as there were indentation in the spoiler. It was not smooth at all. So now they are going to fix it again and I won't have my car back until Wednesday. I don't know what to do.... They dealer officially have had my car longer then me since I took delivery. Today would be 21 days and the dealer has had it for 11 days. They said they would offer me a tank of gas for my troubles again.... YEA RIGHT!
Old 09-05-15, 03:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ You'll enjoy your IS even more when you get it in pristine condition. You at least got a Lexus as a loaner?
Old 09-05-15, 10:54 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since they messed it up, I think they should of went the extra length by ordering you a brand new factory painted trunk lid and spoiler shipped from Lexus Japan.
Old 09-05-15, 11:36 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevent
So I was to have the car back today but unfortunately I don't have the car at all! When they repainted the spoiler, they didnt do a good job as there were indentation in the spoiler. It was not smooth at all. So now they are going to fix it again and I won't have my car back until Wednesday. I don't know what to do.... They dealer officially have had my car longer then me since I took delivery. Today would be 21 days and the dealer has had it for 11 days. They said they would offer me a tank of gas for my troubles again.... YEA RIGHT!
Stevant, when I bought my IS from Longo in 2013 the right seat made a noise. They wanted me to leave my car for a week so Lexus techs could investigate if it was a production issue. I raised hell. I sent an email to the GM -- I went into see him. I emailed Lexus and spoke to a rep. I hammered home the same message again and again. My time is valuable -- I deserve a "make good". I asked what are you going to do to make this right for me?

They sent a $770 check. They based the amount on what a 1st payment would be if I'd financed. Good luck. You life is valuable. You only have so many hours in a day and in a life. You've wasted several of them -- you deserve a make good.

PS - They fixed the seat while I waited too. Go make some noise. What are they going to do -- not take your money if you want to buy another Lexus some day?

Quick Reply: Dealer Spoiler Install Fail