IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So my 2014 is250awd doesn't always go all the way into park position, anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 05:42 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my 2014 is250awd doesn't always go all the way into park position, anybody else?

Hey guys, so mine is a 2014 is250awd and I currently have 16,000 miles. Sometimes when I put my car into park the gear lever doesn't always go all the way into park. It kinda gets stuck, then the car under its own weight will pull the lever into park. I will see an obvious movement of the gear lever going even further into the park position.

Sometimes I try to be a little bit more forceful with it, to push the gear lever into park. So it doesn't get pulled or clicked into place by the weight of the car gently settling forward or backwards depending where I parked.

But here's what got me nervous. The other day I pulled into and parked on a bit of an incline, put the car in park and got out. When I got back into the car from the store, when I sat in the car it rolled back what seemed like and inch and a loud click and I see the gear lever get forced into park as the car rolled back. So it seemed to me I left the car, and it wasn't quite in park or drive. Which seems a bit unsettling to me.

Anybody else?
Old 08-26-15, 05:44 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CF1LUV
Hey guys, so mine is a 2014 is250awd and I currently have 16,000 miles. Sometimes when I put my car into park the gear lever doesn't always go all the way into park. It kinda gets stuck, then the car under its own weight will pull the lever into park. I will see an obvious movement of the gear lever going even further into the park position.

Sometimes I try to be a little bit more forceful with it, to push the gear lever into park. So it doesn't get pulled or clicked into place by the weight of the car gently settling forward or backwards depending where I parked.

But here's what got me nervous. The other day I pulled into and parked on a bit of an incline, put the car in park and got out. When I got back into the car from the store, when I sat in the car it rolled back what seemed like and inch and a loud click and I see the gear lever get forced into park as the car rolled back. So it seemed to me I left the car, and it wasn't quite in park or drive. Which seems a bit unsettling to me.

Anybody else?
I don't have that problem but I would definitely recommend taking it in to get it looked at. That doesn't sound safe at all.
Old 08-26-15, 06:03 PM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not had issues with rolling/movement as I use the parking brake habitually but I think what you're describing happens in my car, too. To me, it seems like an electric locking mechanism engages when the car is put in park and the brake is release or when the engine is stopped. That's what I've assumed it is, anyhow. Next time I go for a drive, I'll see what seems to trigger it.
Old 08-26-15, 08:41 PM
Sexus99
Rookie

From what you are describing, mine and the two others I have been in do the exact same thing. I believe it's the locking mechanism engaging. You will actually see the shifter move and make a noise when it does this. If it doesn't do it, when your car is in park you can actually rock the car for it to happen. I'm not sure if it's normal, but from the 3 I have seen, all newer I would believe it is. There is asol another thread about it and it sounds like others see the same thing
Old 08-26-15, 08:48 PM
Sexus99
Rookie

Here is the other link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-selected.html
Old 08-26-15, 09:19 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's slightly normal behavior.
What you are describing is the parking pawl on the transmission engaging.
Sometimes the paw doesn't fully mesh with the gear and hence you get that movement where it tries to get itself (the pawl) into that grove of the gear.
I'd say an inch is about the normal limit, anything more and you may have a worn/failing parking pawl.

This is also one reason why you should not just set your car in park (especially on an incline) without the footbrake (parking brake) engaged. If that pawl should slip or fail, that car is going to roll in whatever direction the incline is sloping towards.
Old 08-27-15, 04:28 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks for the response guys and the link. I've always assumed it was how it is by design, just wanted to check.