IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 10:56 PM
Mattspiral
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake pads

So my brakes have been squeaking for the past week. Brought it in to the dealership. They said i need new front brake pads.
I only have 22k miles on my 3is and that seems like a really look mileage for the breaks to be worn off. I dont track ny car and i pretty much drive slow lol.
How long are your brake pads lasting? Is this normal for the 3is pads to wear off this fast?
Old 08-25-15, 11:33 PM
2015Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer said I had to change mine at 20,000 KMS. NOT MILES. I never even tracked the car once. Only one day of hard driving up a mountain. That too for just about one hour. I told them to go ahead and they charged me $490. I was shocked at this outrageous price. They charge me $455 for an oil change+filter for 10,000 KMS. I do not think that even Mercedes or Audi or BMW charge this much for a car of the same price. I think I will go somewhere else and change the oil and filter. Screw the warranty. I can save that money, and if needed pay from the amount that I will save over the years.
Old 08-25-15, 11:35 PM
2015Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2015Fsport
The dealer said I had to change mine at 20,000 KMS. NOT MILES. I never even tracked the car once. Only one day of hard driving up a mountain. That too for just about one hour. I told them to go ahead and they charged me $490. I was shocked at this outrageous price. They charge me $455 for an oil change+filter for 10,000 KMS. I do not think that even Mercedes or Audi or BMW charge this much for a car of the same price. I think I will go somewhere else and change the oil and filter. Screw the warranty. I can save that money, and if needed pay from the amount that I will save over the years.
Edit: They showed me the brake pads later and it looked like I drove for more than 50,000 KMS. I don't know if they cheated or not.
Old 08-26-15, 04:34 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Given how badly the stock pads dust, I'm not that surprised that people are seeing quick wear rates on them. I'm hoping to find an alternative that stops as well, but dusts less and lasts longer than what you are reporting.

As for what they charged you for the pad change, that is just robbery. I think the highest priced pads I could find were just over $50, with most in the $30 range; which means they were charging you well over $400 in labor!!!

Definitely go somewhere else for your oil changes and keep the receipts. Your warranty is not voided if you don't go to the stealership for this service.
Old 08-26-15, 04:53 AM
2015Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Just gave my GX460 today for 40,000 KMS service. They charged $870 saying that it a major service. I asked him what all is included in the service and he only said engine oil, filter and injector cleaning. WTH. 870 for just this? The only reason I keep going to Lexus service centre is because the resale value drops a LOT if the buyer comes to know that its not dealer serviced.

Im pretty sure they will call me tomorrow and say that my brake pads are finished as well and add another $400. Also, they say that if I service from outside, it voids my warranty, even if it is from a reputed car servicing company.
Old 08-26-15, 09:17 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattspiral
So my brakes have been squeaking for the past week. Brought it in to the dealership. They said i need new front brake pads.
I only have 22k miles on my 3is and that seems like a really look mileage for the breaks to be worn off. I dont track ny car and i pretty much drive slow lol.
How long are your brake pads lasting? Is this normal for the 3is pads to wear off this fast?
If you have a little mechanical ability and know how to remove the tires, you can buy pads for around $50-60 and install them yourself - you don't even have to remove the brake calipers to do it as in other vehicles. Do a you tube search and there are DIYs on this forum.
Old 08-26-15, 10:22 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Will swapping the big breaks from the IS350 work as a better solution?
Old 08-26-15, 01:13 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered new brake pads and rotors. I am a week away from hitting 20k and my brakes are still solid. I'm just tired of the noise and the dust. Going to get a local shop to do the swap for me as well as an oil change. Either this weekend or next. Pretty excited!
Old 08-26-15, 01:45 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Fsport
Im pretty sure they will call me tomorrow and say that my brake pads are finished as well and add another $400. Also, they say that if I service from outside, it voids my warranty, even if it is from a reputed car servicing company.
Thats BS to me.. I am not sure where you live, but I know in the US & Canada the dealer cannot deny the warrenty on the car just because someone else did the brakes or any other work for that matter.. The dealer has to prove that the replacement part caused the failure of whatever else you are getting worked on..

For eg: replacing the springs with lowering springs. They cannot deny your engine warrenty because you lowered the car. They CAN deny warrenty on the suspension since it was modified.

Brakes in general are wearable parts and not really subject to warrenty anyway unless say you were leaking brake fluid from a bad hose or caliper..

Anyway your getting hosed by your dealer and brakes shouldn't wear out that fast. Look into EB Brakes. They are big in the aftermarket producing different grades of brake pads for various driving styles. And doing your own pad swap is super easy.
Old 08-26-15, 08:51 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife's IS250 has 20k on it, including some hard freeway commuting in So Cal traffic. (80 MPH-10 MPH, repeat). I had the wheels and tires off 2k ago to powder coat the wheels and install a set of Swift springs. The rear pads looked literally brand new, the fronts maybe 80-90% still, looked virtually new as well. So not sure if some cars have different pad composition? Car is not an F Sport.
Attached Thumbnails Brake pads-image.jpg  
Old 08-26-15, 09:02 PM
Toh
Rookie

My car only has 5300 miles and its starting to squeak already. Is changing the brake pads the only way? Will the dealer fix this issue because I have a 5000 mile maintenance appointment scheduled this week
Old 08-26-15, 09:25 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
My wife's IS250 has 20k on it, including some hard freeway commuting in So Cal traffic. (80 MPH-10 MPH, repeat). I had the wheels and tires off 2k ago to powder coat the wheels and install a set of Swift springs. The rear pads looked literally brand new, the fronts maybe 80-90% still, looked virtually new as well. So not sure if some cars have different pad composition? Car is not an F Sport.
Yes - different composition - many f-sport owners reporting pads get chewed up in a hurry.
Old 08-26-15, 09:29 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toh
My car only has 5300 miles and its starting to squeak already. Is changing the brake pads the only way? Will the dealer fix this issue because I have a 5000 mile maintenance appointment scheduled this week
Present it as a big concern - if the noise is due to pad wear, maybe they'll install a new set as a good will gesture. More likely though, they'll probably try to clean them up to see if that helps.
Old 08-27-15, 12:36 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have an F Sport, then yes, i'd say it's within the range of their brake pad life
Old 08-27-15, 09:25 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Present it as a big concern - if the noise is due to pad wear, maybe they'll install a new set as a good will gesture. More likely though, they'll probably try to clean them up to see if that helps.
They will clean them and tell you that high performance brakes make noise and there's nothing more you can do. Trust me, I've tried.

Quick Reply: Brake pads