IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! Scratches on NAV/LCD Screen!

Old 01-02-16, 06:43 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be aware that all high gloss surfaces will show scratches in the right light when new. For example, my HT speakers have black high gloss end caps and they had scratches/swirl marks out of the box. Same with my ebony Velodyne subwoofers. The AV guys say that's just the way it is with high gloss stuff. Doesn't mean it's faulty. Look at your plasma or LCD from an angle and the right light and you'll see scratches, I'll bet.
Old 01-02-16, 05:56 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ You likely don't have a defective one. My dealer said the ones that peel off are defective and are being replaced as owners have reported them. My IS has had no issues but my NX has. It started peeling and that's with a water-damped MF cloth! A new screen has been ordered under warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9301700

Right...I've seen enough of these peeling screens online and in personal experience that's it's a concern for me. Inevitably there will be a few times when I'll have to use the little 'shelf' area where the screen is to place personal items (since there's really no storage space at all in the vehicle). I want to make sure I have something protecting the screen from this potential issue.

Anyone have any recommendation for what I could use on the screen as a 'screen protector'? I'm considering buying a laptop screen protector and cutting it to size, but I worry about the effects of removing the protector a year or so down the road and how constant heat might affect the film/screen. Definitely can't risk any residue or stickiness left behind.
Old 01-02-16, 09:09 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by treymoczy
Right...I've seen enough of these peeling screens online and in personal experience that's it's a concern for me. Inevitably there will be a few times when I'll have to use the little 'shelf' area where the screen is to place personal items (since there's really no storage space at all in the vehicle). I want to make sure I have something protecting the screen from this potential issue.

Anyone have any recommendation for what I could use on the screen as a 'screen protector'? I'm considering buying a laptop screen protector and cutting it to size, but I worry about the effects of removing the protector a year or so down the road and how constant heat might affect the film/screen. Definitely can't risk any residue or stickiness left behind.
http://www.nushield.com/device.php?a...r+Navigation++
Old 01-02-16, 10:34 PM
jakuum
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna order the DayVue film as a preventative measure after reading this thread. Hopefully it installs easily and is of good quality.
Old 01-04-16, 07:28 AM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch, Noeh. That's exactly what I was looking for. Will order shortly.

In the mean time...after reading thru this thread again it appears people simply cleaning with water and a clean cloth have experienced some sort of scratching. I want to prevent this, and I need to clean the screen at least once before I apply the new screen protector. I have some iKlear, which is cleaner for Apple products that's supposed to be safe, but I'd rather just stick to someone's recommendation here on the forum. I will use a lens-polishing cloth, any idea what I should use to clean the screen?
Old 01-05-16, 11:40 AM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have a recommendation for a safe nav cleaning product solution??
Old 01-05-16, 05:52 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The NAV/LCD screen in my 2014 IS is still in pristine condition and I use water or LCD/camera lens solution from Radtech USA (the solution is called Omnicleanz) with clean micro fibre to clean it. Sometimes I just use water with plush MF cloth.

As I am very sensitive to seeing scratches on any surface, the way I clean the screen is as follows:

1. Use an air blower to blow any big debris/dust off the screen - this minimizes the chance of marring the anti-glare coating
2. Spray the screen sufficiently with lens safe solution and dab the area with a clean MF cloth with minimum pressure. If the screen is still soiled, I will repeat the application again
3. At this point, the screen should be quite clean and I will use another clean and slightly damp MF cloth to dry and wipe/pat the screen
4. Usually I wear gloves and apply strong white LED light to the screen during the whole process. If I still see some fine dusts adhered to the surface after cleaning, I will use some masking tape which won't harm the plastic to remove the remaining dust to make the screen dust free even under strong white LED light.

The idea is to reduce wiping and rubbing as necessary

Also to make the screen more dust repellent and hence making cleaning less frequent, I recently have applied iClear to the already cleaned and dust-free screen which makes the surface smoother and therefore the screen repels dust.

I think Lexus has underestimated the harshness of the environment where the LCD screen is used. While anti-glare coating on laptop screen is okay, it might not be the case for the screen used in automobiles. To perform the cleaning the way I do it is quite extreme and is definitely too much for most owners out there.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-05-16 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 07:30 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer recently scratched my NAV screen while having their "expert" detail the inside of my car after a service visit. They made good and replaced it at their cost. The service tech told me that it was an easy fix and there is a plastic screen in front of the actual nav screen that only needed to be replaced. If it bothers you this much perhaps getting with the dealer to find out how much it would be to replace the plastic covering infront of the screen might be a better option.
Old 03-06-16, 01:47 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Just want to add that this just happened to me while i was cleaning the inside of my windshield and with invisible glass and very gently wiped down the nav screen of my 3IS. I was 100% sure that that there was no abrasion caused by the cloth on the screen as i am always very careful and ensure i used a new microfiber cloth.

So basically, the chemical (probably ammonia) in invisible glass ate through the anti-glare layer and caused it to streak. I decided to google this and stumbled upon this page and did as instructed. I took another microfiber and with invisible glass, section by section worked my way to get it to be perfect. It did take a lot of patience and tired fingers, but i did get it all off and it looks flawless. Even better than before! Took me about 30 minutes and i found that the fastest and easiest way of getting it off was when i sprayed a small fresh amount on the cloth each time and it would work very quickly for 10-15 seconds before the ammonia is dissolved/spent, a fresh spray again on the cloth did the trick.

I did not have issues like the above poster where the edges did not come off. I worked at the edges and managed to get it all off, it did require work and patience!!

Disclaimer: I have not driven it with the glare from the sun so i am not sure how it affects it.

Thought i would share given how frustrated i was when i saw it.
Old 03-06-16, 05:25 PM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I took my 2014 350 in this week and they replaced the Nav screen with no questions asked. He said there was a bulletin out on it.
Old 03-07-16, 01:02 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I had this issue on my NX, dealer replaced it with no questions. They told me they already replaced two other NX screens. It's a defective batch of screens. You shouldn't need to use a shield for normal cleaning. Yes, if you plan on putting stuff in front of it that might really scratch it. All the pictures for this issue aren't scratches, but the coating coming off (when it shouldn't) with just a wipe or water.

If you're no longer in warranty, then you might want a protector, but most likely, after all this time, your coating should be good.
Old 03-13-16, 06:27 PM
mario2625
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on my nav screen. Took it back to the dealership and they were able to cover it under warranty. Might want to try that?
Old 03-25-16, 09:47 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ver-bezel.html
Old 04-28-16, 12:45 PM
freshjive3
Driver School Candidate

Default Service Bulletin for Screen Delamination?

Originally Posted by 39RN
FWIW, I took my 2014 350 in this week and they replaced the Nav screen with no questions asked. He said there was a bulletin out on it.

I saw mentioned in a couple of posts that there is a service bulletin for the "defective" nav screen film - does anyone know the bulletin # and if so, can someone please provide or point me in the right direction? I'd like to have on hand in case the dealer gives me problems when asking to have my screen fixed/replaced.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-16, 01:55 PM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markb3
Hi Guys,

I used the "invisible glass" product with a paper towel (since I was cleaning all my windows first) on the NAV/LCD screen and now it seems to be permanently scratched in many places. I noticed it on the first few wipes back and forth (maybe 3 wipes) and immediately stopped. Tried to clean it gently with clean water immediately and nothing changed.

Is there anything I can do right now to remove this or minimize the damage? Picture below....

Its really upsetting to pay so much for a car and have the top surface of your screen a crappy plastic material, or whatever it is that would scratch like that. The sad thing is the scratches extend beyond the screen so not only is it slightly noticeable when the screen is on, its fully noticeable on the sides where there is all that wasted screen real estate.

I had the same issue when I bought my used 3IS. Since it's still under warranty I took it to the Lexus dealer and showed them the screen. They offered to replace my screen for free. So just take it to your dealer and tell them that it's unacceptable for the screen to be like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Scratches on NAV/LCD Screen!