Weird Spots / Marks on Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 04:24 PM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Spots / Marks on Rims

Howdy fellow Lexus-Lovers...

So I decided to give my rims a deep cleaning today. Well came across marks/spots that I cannot remove for the life of me. I scrubbed til my arm almost fell off... used Black Magic wheel cleaner, sprayed the crap out of it...

Those spots / marks don't fade at all...

WHAT THE HELL IS IT ?!?! How can I clean it off?

Old 08-17-15, 04:31 PM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears to be some damage to the finish of the paint, like some kind of harsh chemical. If I've read correctly these wheels are dark with a very fine coating of silver over them giving them their look. Seems like something has eaten away the silver.
Old 08-17-15, 04:35 PM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carbonite
It appears to be some damage to the finish of the paint, like some kind of harsh chemical. If I've read correctly these wheels are dark with a very fine coating of silver over them giving them their look. Seems like something has eaten away the silver.
That is crazy, I've only had the car for 6 weeks.....
Old 08-17-15, 04:55 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

try a polish and see if that helps
Old 08-17-15, 05:04 PM
Carbonite
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reppic27
That is crazy, I've only had the car for 6 weeks.....

My reply was based on reading this thread a while back. Looks/sounds similar

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-wheels.html

Maybe you can take it to the dealer and see what they say?

Hope you're able to get it resolved.
Old 08-17-15, 05:16 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's wheel chemicals that are used at car washes that eaten away/stained the wheels. Its like an acid - I had this happen on my 2IS and I had wheel and tire warranty on my 2IS and the dealer would not warranty or do anything for me - they stated it was acid and caused by the carwash and they would not honor. Ever since, when I go to the car wash which is very rare I tell them no wheel cleaner on my wheels just soap and water.

At home I use eagle brand wheel cleaner or sonax with no issues.
Old 08-17-15, 05:26 PM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DjRiDe
It's wheel chemicals that are used at car washes that eaten away/stained the wheels. Its like an acid - I had this happen on my 2IS and I had wheel and tire warranty on my 2IS and the dealer would not warranty or do anything for me - they stated it was acid and caused by the carwash and they would not honor. Ever since, when I go to the car wash which is very rare I tell them no wheel cleaner on my wheels just soap and water.

At home I use eagle brand wheel cleaner or sonax with no issues.
So what is the solution? can I get them resprayed?

I only got the car washed ONCE. Jeez I'm pissed.
Old 08-17-15, 05:31 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

So what is the solution? can I get them resprayed?

I only got the car washed ONCE. Jeez I'm pissed.
you can get them resprayed - the dealer gave me there shop they used and it was about $125 per wheel. I ended up leaving it because I put on aftermarket wheels. Then when I traded for my 3IS i put back on the stock wheels with the stains - and traded.
Old 08-18-15, 08:25 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually had this same thing happen to my car about 4-5 months after I got it. As you can imagine, it drove me nuts!

I could not for the life of me figure out what caused it, but luckily I am friends with the GM of my local dealership and he had his wheel guy refinish the wheels at no cost and they look brand new now.

Funny thing is, I went to a Lexus event with one of the salesmen at the same dealership and his wheels had the same thing. He said it happened after the dealership washed his car - so CLEARLY it is some chemical the detail guys are using. Pain the you know what to say the least.
Old 08-18-15, 09:05 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjRiDe
you can get them resprayed - the dealer gave me there shop they used and it was about $125 per wheel. I ended up leaving it because I put on aftermarket wheels. Then when I traded for my 3IS i put back on the stock wheels with the stains - and traded.
I have the same issue with my wheels:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-wheels.html

My issue showed up after a trip to the car wash. They use some pretty harsh stuff. Strangely, I only have damage on the passenger side, not the driver's side. I'm guessing the guy working on the passenger side didn't properly spray off the cleaner this it sat on the wheel and ate off the finish.

I'm going to be contacting an alloy wheel repair shop for a respray.
Old 08-26-15, 08:50 AM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

Hello All,

Wanted to give you guys an update. Went to the dealer, of course they denied it. I asked the Service Tech how a wheel being washed without a high quality clear coat would create spots almost instantaneously. He looked at me and couldn't answer. I spoke to my sales guy, he told me to stop blaming the rims and their poor quality.

I went to my car wash guy, who I trust beyond belief, he felt bad but said he washes Ferraris all day (and he does, including my uncles) and this has never happened before on them.

In the end, I concluded that these rims, at least the finish is cheap, and clearly the coating can so easily be manipulated.

I got quotes for 150$ per wheel by a shop that works for another Lexus dealer. My dealer said they would do it for 180$.

I got super upset with the guys at my dealer when I asked why the hell was I never told about how fragile these rims were.. his response was " we don't need to tell you how to take care of your car" - I almost lost it. Not to mention my sunroof broke, clicked the button... and it stopped working, half opened.

I don't think I'll never get another Lexus, especially from that dealer. If I get another one, it'll be with normal wheels.

Last edited by Reppic27; 08-26-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 09:52 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Reppic27,

I concur that the hyper silver or what Lexus calls Super Chrome finish used in 3IS is very fragile. I have similar weird spots but not as many as you have. First it was caused by the handling of my tire shop which over the past 10+ years, has never caused such a damage to my rims. Then I complained to the shop owner who was personally handling the rims. And after some research, I bought the wheels to a reputable wheel refinishing shop and they pointed out the black stuff is actually black paint beneath the silver color. This is how hyper silver finish is made. Above the primer, there is black, followed by silver and clear coat. The problem is the silver paint is too thin.

When compared to the same hyper silver finish used in 2011 RX350 (Sport model), the one in 3IS definitely has cheaper quality. The wheels on 4-year old RX don't exhibit such an issue.

So to all, the black spots may not only be due to harsh chemical. In fact, the finish is very vulnerable and this is the first time I see such weird spots in all cars that I've previously owned.

I was also told by the dealership that it is very hard to claim through the warranty as it is considered wear and tear.

Last edited by AndyL; 08-26-15 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 09:55 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello All,

Wanted to give you guys an update. Went to the dealer, of course they denied it. I asked the Service Tech how a wheel being washed without a high quality clear coat would create spots almost instantaneously. He looked at me and couldn't answer. I spoke to my sales guy, he told me to stop blaming the rims and their poor quality.

I went to my car wash guy, who I trust beyond belief, he felt bad but said he washes Ferraris all day (and he does, including my uncles) and this has never happened before on them.

In the end, I concluded that these rims, at least the finish is cheap, and clearly the coating can so easily be manipulated.

I got quotes for 150$ per wheel by a shop that works for another Lexus dealer. My dealer said they would do it for 180$.

I got super upset with the guys at my dealer when I asked why the hell was I never told about how fragile these rims were.. his response was " we don't need to tell you how to take care of your car" - I almost lost it. Not to mention my sunroof broke, clicked the button... and it stopped working, half opened.

I don't think I'll never get another Lexus, especially from that dealer. If I get another one, it'll be with normal wheels.
It's amazing how some dealers waste no time throwing customers under the bus AFTER they have put their faith in them by giving them their business. If indeed the finish on these wheels is inferior (it's starting to look like that's possible), Lexus needs to step up and correct this and make it right for the customers affected. There's no way an unsuspecting customer should be responsible for a $5-700 repair bill just because they took their car to a car wash.

Hope you are listening Lexus - my wife and I are on our fourth Lexus - there may not be a fifth.
Old 08-26-15, 10:12 AM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
It's amazing how some dealers waste no time throwing customers under the bus AFTER they have put their faith in them by giving them their business. If indeed the finish on these wheels is inferior (it's starting to look like that's possible), Lexus needs to step up and correct this and make it right for the customers affected. There's no way an unsuspecting customer should be responsible for a $5-700 repair bill just because they took their car to a car wash.

Hope you are listening Lexus - my wife and I are on our fourth Lexus - there may not be a fifth.
I wrote a poor review on the dealer. But other than that.... well nothing I can do.

I have to deal with them for 3 years... the lease is only 2 months in. If there was a way I could get out of this lease, I would, that is how disappointed I am. I am very forgiving with the product, I had a major issue with my Toyota when I got it, but the dealer took it back, gave me a loaner. Paid my first month's payment on my car and gave my car back. All in good faith. In fact that is the reason why I went to Lexus, to stay within Toyota.

I now regret, wish I had paid 25$ more a month for that bimmer.
Old 08-26-15, 03:48 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

I wrote a poor review on the dealer. But other than that.... well nothing I can do.

I have to deal with them for 3 years... the lease is only 2 months in. If there was a way I could get out of this lease, I would, that is how disappointed I am. I am very forgiving with the product, I had a major issue with my Toyota when I got it, but the dealer took it back, gave me a loaner. Paid my first month's payment on my car and gave my car back. All in good faith. In fact that is the reason why I went to Lexus, to stay within Toyota.

I now regret, wish I had paid 25$ more a month for that bimmer.

I had the same issue, i just buffed it out and it was fine!! i bought aftermarket wheels so it doesnt matter to me now.

i would just avoid that dealership!!

Quick Reply: Weird Spots / Marks on Rims