IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RoadRace Motorsports Power Manager Impression

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 03:14 PM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoadRace Motorsports Power Manager Impression

I wanted to share this to the IS owners as we have a small discussion on this topic already in the RC forum.

I went to get new springs installed on my RC 350 fsport at RRM last week. I got there a little early and while waiting for the technician who was going to install my springs, one of the guys asked if I have heard about the power manager product they have for my car.

I said; “yes and I don’t know if I am interested as I am not convinced it makes a difference. Since this is a relatively new product for my car, I have not seen much info on the forums.” In my mind, I had questions about how it works etc. To my surprise, they said if I want, they can install one on my car and road test it to find out. I definitely took them up on the offer.

They took a power manager box and plugged it in to their computer and loaded up the programming for my car, then installed it. It took less than 1 min. It plugs in between the intake airflow sensor and the factory wire harness for it. For the test drive, we just stuffed the main power box behind the factory air filter box.

On S+ mode, I felt the difference on how the power comes in on the lower revs. The car drove like it was lighter. On hard acceleration, the power delivery was more linear. I have a straight through axle back exhaust (no muffler) and I can hear how much more aggressive the tone is when accelerating. I drove around the block in an aggressive manner as well as my normal driving habit. All in all, I really enjoyed the difference the power manager gave the car.

I would sum up that the power manager improved the “driving experience” of the car. The power gain was noticeable in the midrange rpm of the car (which is where I normally am in my daily driving). I was sold just by that short test drive.

For the guys that live in Socal, RRM is open to letting you guys also test drive the power manager if you are interested, just give them a call and set an appointment. I will be going back next week to pick up one for my car.
Old 08-17-15, 03:35 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

Good to know. I'm on the fence about this system and maybe a "test drive" could sway me. Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-17-15, 08:30 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank for the updates and review. If they are willing to let test it out then thumb up.
Old 08-17-15, 10:53 PM
Road Race Motorsports
Driver

Originally Posted by daobn24
Good to know. I'm on the fence about this system and maybe a "test drive" could sway me. Thanks for posting this.
If you would like to stop by the shop we would be happy to show you. We have our shop IS 250 and the RC 350 available most days and can get the box fitting in just a couple minutes. It is customer referrals like zoomtt69 that we like over our own marketing for the product. We can talk all day about power figures, driving experience or the technology we put into the Power Manager, but at the end of the day it means nothing is people are not convinced. At Road///Race Motorsports it is a pleasure to take a few minutes out of our day to talk to and show our great customers what we can do.
Old 08-18-15, 06:47 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

i thought the "issue" w/ this mod had nothing to do w/ adding power and torque; it was the settings returning to "stock" after time. some that have or used this mod love it at first because it works at advertised, but then lose the high when it (allegedly) loses it's function.
Old 08-18-15, 09:31 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
i thought the "issue" w/ this mod had nothing to do w/ adding power and torque; it was the settings returning to "stock" after time. some that have or used this mod love it at first because it works at advertised, but then lose the high when it (allegedly) loses it's function.
There is huge discussion on this product in the 2IS performance forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iggy-back.html

There is a note from the vendor about declining to provide dyno data and redirects to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...dyno-test.html

that speaks to a member that did the dyno runs, found that the tune runs "rich" to boost the HP and torque initially, but then consensus from other members that they fully expect the ECU to adjust it back over time.

The consensus is that there is less that 10hp gain out of this "tune". Gain that theoretically would be compensated down over time by the ECU.
Old 08-18-15, 11:46 AM
Road Race Motorsports
Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
There is huge discussion on this product in the 2IS performance forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iggy-back.html

There is a note from the vendor about declining to provide dyno data and redirects to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...dyno-test.html

that speaks to a member that did the dyno runs, found that the tune runs "rich" to boost the HP and torque initially, but then consensus from other members that they fully expect the ECU to adjust it back over time.

The consensus is that there is less that 10hp gain out of this "tune". Gain that theoretically would be compensated down over time by the ECU.
Our shop cars have been using the module for more than 4000 miles without a reset, there is ZERO reliable way to "prove" this in a scientific method other than turning to customers and having them report. We have yet to hear of our Power Manager losing power over time and no board members have reported that it is happening. In fact the thread I point too has a customer saying that the Power Manager is working as advertised over many miles. People keep moving the marker once we prove otherwise.

As for providing data, what can we give you that customers are not already reporting? As I have said in other threads customer data is way better than anything we deliver. Sure I can really prep the car, get all the variables in my favor and do a dyno run that shows over 25 HP and 30 lbs ft of torque. But we have customers going to the dyno and showing what our product can do. That is what we love, people putting our product to the test, I would rather be proven wrong by a customer than proven right at my shop.
Old 08-18-15, 04:40 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

An alternative is to drive it like you stole it for few hundred miles and let the ECU adjust to your heavy foot.
Old 08-18-15, 06:46 PM
Road Race Motorsports
Driver

Originally Posted by Noeh
An alternative is to drive it like you stole it for few hundred miles and let the ECU adjust to your heavy foot.
That is true to a point, the problem is even in the lower RPMs the car is still trying to save fuel and on the 350 engines we dyno's they all had a dip in torque in the mid range. We turned that around and added power across the whole power band. You go from there being a point where the car crosses from economy to power to having power uninterrupted with our Power Manager.
Old 08-18-15, 07:43 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great feedback zoomtt69, thanks for taking the time to provide it.

@RRM - seems like you guys are doing a great job with the responses and criticism.
Keep up the good work and I'm sure you guys will overcome the hardships at some point.
I definitely enjoy reading how you guys back up your product and even let local people try out the product first hand!
Only wish I was nearby
Old 08-18-15, 09:03 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Race Motorsports
That is true to a point, the problem is even in the lower RPMs the car is still trying to save fuel and on the 350 engines we dyno's they all had a dip in torque in the mid range. We turned that around and added power across the whole power band. You go from there being a point where the car crosses from economy to power to having power uninterrupted with our Power Manager.
This is nicely worded, and outlines the functionality well.
It addresses one of two customer concerns, noticeable power enhancement, and the other being affordability. I recognize and appreciate your discount and want your company to profit. If the price were lower (as it may drop with wide spread use) I would try it.
Old 08-19-15, 03:25 PM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
Great feedback zoomtt69, thanks for taking the time to provide it.

@RRM - seems like you guys are doing a great job with the responses and criticism.
Keep up the good work and I'm sure you guys will overcome the hardships at some point.
I definitely enjoy reading how you guys back up your product and even let local people try out the product first hand!
Only wish I was nearby
Sure thing! I am targeting of getting my box this weekend. When I do, I will make a youtube video on the installation. So you guys can see.I still think many CL people is not sure how it attaches to the car.

BTW, I changed my username. so this is the guy formerly called Zoomtt69
Old 08-26-15, 11:30 AM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

I posted a install video of the RRM unit on the RC forums for anybody that is interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...all-video.html
Old 08-26-15, 02:29 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed_Labao
For the guys that live in Socal, RRM is open to letting you guys also test drive the power manager if you are interested, just give them a call and set an appointment. I will be going back next week to pick up one for my car.
Hmm, I might need to do this. They put a business card on my car a few months back at a show but I haven't had the chance to stop by.
Old 08-26-15, 03:50 PM
new2jdm
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A baseline dyno and after from an independent dyno (preferably dynojet) would be helpful. I want to see the delta from this piggyback.

Quick Reply: RoadRace Motorsports Power Manager Impression