IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear bra or Opticoat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 05:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz
@new2jdm - thanks for providing the picture.

what is so good about opticoat when a clear bra can protect from rock chips, scratches, and sun damage?
a clear bra typically isn't installed over your entire car.
Old 08-19-15, 05:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

You can also Opticoat your clear bra That's what I ended up doing with my GS. XPel for the full hood, mirrors, fenders, and side skirts with CQuartz Finest on top of everything. Beading is absolutely beautiful
Old 08-19-15, 10:23 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow hook cover.

For those that got the xpel clear bra, does it cover the tow hook cover? I live in CA.... Need to put front license plate =[
Old 08-20-15, 01:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stevent
For those that got the xpel clear bra, does it cover the tow hook cover? I live in CA.... Need to put front license plate =[
it's protected, but you can still remove it. there's a little square cutout for the tow-hook cover so that it's able to be removed when needed.
Old 08-20-15, 03:49 PM
Stevent
Driver

Originally Posted by new2jdm
I got my car done at Crystal Autoshield in Long Beach, CA (full hood, front bumper, headlights, side mirrors and front fenders). Ask for Norbert and tell him John with the gray Lexus IS referred you. His price beat all the authorized dealers around Orange County and LA.

For those not in CA, check out your local Xpel authorized installers and call around for pricing.
http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear.../United_States

Thanks for the tip. Crystal Autoshield is the cheapest I was able to find.

FYI for everyone..... He needs to order the Xpel ultimate ahead of time and requires a deposit if you want the xpel ultimate otherwise he can do suntek and at a cheaper price.
Old 10-08-15, 07:17 AM
Stevent
Driver

So I managed to finally get the clear bra installed for my car and I love it. I got the full hood install + head lights @ crystal autoshield. He did a great job and was the cheapest as mentioned previously. The installer very knowledgeable and friendly.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably saved myself a few dollars and gone with suntek. Seeing both product installed in person, I couldn't really well the difference and the quality for both seem excellent.

I did have reservations about spending so much money on the clear bra especially after spending so much for the car but after I did it, no regrets and I do have peace and mind that it's protected.
Old 10-10-15, 11:09 AM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I managed to finally get the clear bra installed for my car and I love it. I got the full hood install + head lights @ crystal autoshield. He did a great job and was the cheapest as mentioned previously. The installer very knowledgeable and friendly.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably saved myself a few dollars and gone with suntek. Seeing both product installed in person, I couldn't really well the difference and the quality for both seem excellent.

I did have reservations about spending so much money on the clear bra especially after spending so much for the car but after I did it, no regrets and I do have peace and mind that it's protected.
So you end up installing the xpel? How long did it take for the installation?
Old 10-10-15, 12:50 PM
Stevent
Driver

So you end up installing the xpel? How long did it take for the installation?
Yes I did get Xpel. Since I got the full hood install so it took about 6 hours total. Give or take 15 minutes.
Old 10-10-15, 02:06 PM
DrDDay
Driver

1)4) Would you get IS 300 (V6) for $2000 more than IS 200t (v4)?
Living in CA I would opt for the 200t every time. If you were in the Midwest or Northeast I would say get a 300, but you don't have a need for AWD out there so you might as well get the car that responds to mods better. Unless you're leasing it, in which case still get the 200t, but just don't mod the hell out of it.
Old 10-10-15, 02:36 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an is350, but if I had the chance to redo it I would go for the is200t. It has enough power and i'm sure offers better fuel economy. I would most likely get a nice exhaust for it and an intake to bring out that turbo noise.
Old 10-12-15, 12:55 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a film covering the front of the tow hook cover

PS. I also live in CA, and I see half of the cars without front plate.
Old 10-12-15, 05:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
There is a film covering the front of the tow hook cover

PS. I also live in CA, and I see half of the cars without front plate.
do you think it was worth it to cover your entire car in xpel's ppf? i have the front half of my car covered in xpel ultimate, although the rest is, well, the rest.

have you noticed any peeling? how do the areas where an installer can't wrap around edges look, e.g., at the top of the door panels?

i went back and forth on covering a larger portion of the car, although my installer said that it would be problematic down the road unless i drove only two miles a year or something collectible or super car-esque. a rock chip on my front passenger door has me thinking otherwise.