IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Am I crazy to consider a Nissan?!

Old 08-15-15, 12:48 PM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy to consider a Nissan?!

I've been pretty set on wanting to get an IS-350 F sport at some point. The looks, overall performance, and features seemed right up my alley. I currently have a 2011 GTI which I love, but am starting to get bored of.

Anyways, I'm trying to be fiscally responsible so I haven't actually gotten a 350 yet since I want to have a large enough down payment/trade in to keep my payments the same or less (380). Plus, no other car has really swayed me from my interest in the Lexus, until today.

I was out and parked next to a new Nissan Maxima and have to say I was really impressed. I know it's looks may not be up to everyone's standards, but I thought it looked sharp as hell, especially with the sport rims. I looked this up and it has an insane number of features and seems pretty luxurious, especially for the max price of about 39K with all the bells or whistles, which is a good 10K less than the 350 f sport. I mean the thing has everything short of self parking. Looks wise, parts of it remind of the GTR.

Has anyone else checked these out and what are your thoughts? I know the reliability is not up to par with Lexus, but I can't imagine it being less reliable than a vee dub. I had a 350Z in the past and I loved the Nissan when I had it. My careful had an Infiniti and hated it for reliability. So not sure.
Old 08-15-15, 01:57 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the Maxima appeals to you more, go for it.
Old 08-15-15, 02:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
if the Maxima appeals to you more, go for it.
I'm sure the Maxima will be comparable in performance to the IS350 in a straight line...maybe a tick slower but you probably won't notice. In curves though, the IS350 is soooooo good. I had a g35 coupe for a decade and the IS350 handles much better. The G35 was very reliable for me until I hit 100k miles then lots of little things went wrong. It finally left me stranded due to a sensor going out...missed an important meeting because of that. Kinda the final straw that made me get an IS350.
Old 08-15-15, 03:30 PM
Thang
Rookie

I say go for what you want as well. It's your car and you'll be the one driving from it day-to-day. I've had all types of cars: Buick, Honda, Kia, Mazda, and now Lexus. Brand doesn't matter as long as you're happy with the car you choose.

I have seen quite a large number of Maxima's around here, especially since I live right next to one. They're okay cars and I must say I don't agree with you at all that it certain parts of it looks like GT-R. It just doesn't lol.
Old 08-15-15, 03:54 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't say crazy.
The new Maxima does have some nice curves.
Keep in mind though that it's front wheel drive, and has a CVT tranny. :/
Old 08-15-15, 04:34 PM
Kov
Driver

Really depends what you want out of the vehicle.

Lower price seems like one (Maxima fits that criteria)
You like the way it looks (I won't disagree, nice looking car)

I bought a Lexus because I love the way it looks, it fit in my budget, they are one of the best luxury vehicles for dependability/reliability and where I am from there is not many of them on the road (unlike BMW and Mercedes)

Test drive the Maxima for few hours even a day if dealer allows, read some reviews and don't make any impulse decisions because it is a heavy on the wallet investment and you probably want to have the thing for a while

Good luck
Old 08-15-15, 04:38 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only if it's a GT-R
Old 08-15-15, 04:48 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

If you care about social status, no. I doubt your gona be dropping panties with a maxima vs a lexus. At the end of the day if you are content with where you are then thats fine. But society nowadays puts a lot of weight into name brands.try saying get in my lexus vs maxima.
Old 08-15-15, 04:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
If you care about social status, no. I doubt your gona be dropping panties with a maxima vs a lexus. At the end of the day if you are content with where you are then thats fine. But society nowadays puts a lot of weight into name brands.try saying get in my lexus vs maxima.
If I could afford a lowly Nissan GTR, I wouldn't give a rats *** about the Lexus name.
Old 08-15-15, 05:06 PM
PeterLegen
Driver School Candidate

Lexus drops panties? I guess an LFA lol but not the IS
Old 08-15-15, 05:34 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

besides the issues nissan infiniti has with warping rotors and they don't back you up they will throw you under the bus... the new maxima has a cvt with the v6 it would drive me crazy
nothing in comparison to the 8 speed in the is
Old 08-15-15, 06:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

go for what both is appealing to you and within your price range. the car should be valued by you, not others, and if car x, y, or x does it for you, then go for it.
Old 08-15-15, 06:19 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PeterLegen
Lexus drops panties? I guess an LFA lol but not the IS
All the time. It was inspired from the lfa.
Old 08-15-15, 08:47 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

drive both cars on the same day. and not just around the block. use the features you would during a daily commute and drive in different modes to see how the car works for you. there is a big difference in driving feel from one to the next IMO, and I throw nissan, hundai, infinity, and a few others in the "cheap rental car feel" category. to each their own, and it you like the maxima go for it; but know the resale value, reliability, and other aspects will not hold up like the lexus. and if you get new cars every couple or few years, leasing I would bet works out in your favor for choosing Lexus over Nissan... good luck! let us know how it goes.
Old 08-15-15, 09:03 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

CVT & FWD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I crazy to consider a Nissan?!