IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

G2 caliper DIY Fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 09:42 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default G2 caliper DIY Fail

I've been lurking around for painted calipers, read a lot of great reviews about the G2 caliper paint. Decided to pull the trigger and attempt this mod myself (i'm pretty handy). Long story short, it came out horrible. Did every step by step accordingly, backs came out decent, front calipers was ruined. Runs and blotchy paint. Took off all the calipers and took them to a shop to remove G2 paint and repaint. After $40 G2 paint and $180 to professionally repaint, it finally came out the way i wanted it to be. I wouldnt recommend G2 to anyone I know. Tried to go the cheap route and ended up paying more, should have just got them professionally painted the first time around. Lol

Old 08-06-15, 04:22 AM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best guess is you did not do it right, several layers is key to success. I used the same paint in yellow and red on my BMW and the just sold 370Z, both came out great and looked like professional done.
Old 08-06-15, 06:35 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That looks like one suuuuupppper thick coat of paint.
Old 08-06-15, 06:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if its running you didnt let it dry for 20 min before the next coat or too much is being applied at once. When I did both my IS calipers, you just go around the car painting, by the time you come back to the first caliper its already been the 15-20 min as required for the next coat. Foam brushes are MUCH better than bristle ones for this too. Foams go on a lot more evenly and smooth. I was able to get about 4 coats of paint on every caliper.
Old 08-06-15, 06:38 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

if the product looks like that, there's usually one of two reasons: either paint wasn't mixed/shaken or paint wasn't laid evenly. not saying that there hasn't been negative reviews before, but there hasn't been very many bad reviews other than shade of color.
Old 08-06-15, 07:38 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

Just finished painting mine and they look really nice! I'd guess to thick coats also. You really need to go light on the first one.
Old 08-06-15, 09:08 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

All 3 coats were painted lightly, every corner had approx 15-20 mins wait time before repainted, calipers were sanded down and cleaned with brake cleaner, maybe the weather had a lil to do with it? Last weekend was pretty hot here in socal. Other than that, everything was done accordingly. Anyhow, im glad with the final outcome. The caliper looks nice and super glossy/shiny.
Old 08-07-15, 04:45 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that's crazy that you said the backs turned out good, but not the fronts? The pictures do make it look like it was applied too heavily. I did mine recently, and I did each coat very lightly. By the third coat, they were looking fantastic. You also said you used brake cleaner on them? Do you mean you used the cleaner that comes in the kit, or actual brake cleaner? If I recall, the instructions said something about avoiding a specific kind of cleaner - maybe that was the issue? Don't know, but you are definitely in the huge minority of having an issue. Don't think I would trash the company over your experience; something clearly went wrong! Glad you got it sorted out as they look great now. Have a full picture of the car we can see?
Old 08-07-15, 10:29 AM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

You are right, my mistake. I wasnt clearly trying to trash G2, if it came out that way I apologize to G2. I meant to say if a friend or family member was planning to paint their calipers, with my experience I'd highly suggest to get it professionally done. At the end of the day, its up to the person. Glad everyone else had a great experience with g2 as i didnt. I dont have any full body pix, will try to take one later or so.
Old 08-07-15, 10:40 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm considering trying out G2, but I wouldn't mind getting it done in a shop if the price is right. Good to see that you got it sorted out in the end and they look nice. I love your wheels btw.
Old 08-07-15, 11:54 AM
1sleekIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah man you messed it up, I have done many cars of red G2 caliper paint, came out amazing and smooth. You did something wrong, not the paints fault.
Old 08-07-15, 03:13 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Actually, i did everything on point. But it is what it is.
Old 08-08-15, 07:18 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought I would post a couple of pics up for anyone attempting this on their own. I did three coats on mine, and the first one looks terrible - very thin and uneven. The idea is to just set down a base for it.

The second coat looks MUCH better, but there is still a bit of unevenness to the color, and it is dull.

The third coat is a world of difference. I still had paint left after the third coat, but as I was doing the painting in much hotter temps than recommended, it was starting to reach the end of its life. I know others have gotten four coats, and there probably was enough paint to do a fourth round, but mine was starting to set after 3 hours.

Hope this is helpful. And I'd love to see some pics of your car too, jkhang! Those wheels look nice.
Old 08-08-15, 07:53 AM
new2jdm
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guys point me where to get the f-sport stickers? Thanks
Old 08-08-15, 07:57 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

Most here got them on eBay. Search for "vinyl caliper stickers" and you should find some. As for mine, I'll make them soon since I do vinyl graphics as a sideline.

Quick Reply: G2 caliper DIY Fail