IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Warranty Transferable ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 09:19 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Transferable ???

Just a quick question regarding the new car warranty included with Lexus vehicles. If a lexus is purchased used is the basic warranty 4 year / 50k miles and the 6 year / 70k miles transferable to a new owner? Thanks.
Old 07-28-15, 09:55 PM
bpguns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. As long as the vehicle is under the 4y/50k warranty it's covered bumper to bumper. Powertrain out to 6y/72k. Doesn't matter if it's first owner or fourth owner. Moreover, if it's under the 4y/50k mark then you can buy a Lexus extended warranty out to as much as 8y/120k - not a third party scam, but a real Lexus extended warranty.
Old 07-28-15, 10:46 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Just a quick question regarding the new car warranty included with Lexus vehicles. If a lexus is purchased used is the basic warranty 4 year / 50k miles and the 6 year / 70k miles transferable to a new owner? Thanks.
Yes warranty is tied to the car by the Vin # regardless of the owner.
The following users liked this post:
Slat (02-10-20)
Old 07-29-15, 02:03 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bpguns
Yes. As long as the vehicle is under the 4y/50k warranty it's covered bumper to bumper. Powertrain out to 6y/72k. Doesn't matter if it's first owner or fourth owner. Moreover, if it's under the 4y/50k mark then you can buy a Lexus extended warranty out to as much as 8y/120k - not a third party scam, but a real Lexus extended warranty.
Originally Posted by 3ISRC
Yes warranty is tied to the car by the Vin # regardless of the owner.
Warranty is transferable to a new owner but that transfer has to be done by the new owner, by providing proof of ownership transfer. Warranty doesn't transfer if an owner sells or trades in the car to a used car dealer even if a Lexus one.
Old 01-16-19, 02:43 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Warranty is transferable to a new owner but that transfer has to be done by the new owner, by providing proof of ownership transfer. Warranty doesn't transfer if an owner sells or trades in the car to a used car dealer even if a Lexus one.
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to clarify something as this thread comes up first on a Google search on transferable warranties for Lexus. I believe the above statement is incorrect, at least as far as I can tell. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however. Everywhere else that I've searched this topic says the original warranty stays with the VIN regardless of who buys, sells, etc.
Old 01-16-19, 03:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The warranty is tied to the vehicle, not the owner.
The first day the vehicle is registered to it's first owner the warranty clock starts counting down.
The car could then be owned by a hundred people after the first owner and the warranty is still good until the clock runs outs.

The clock is just a metaphor btw
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jazzrock (12-09-19)
Old 12-09-19, 11:59 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 288 Likes on 198 Posts

I am thinking about getting an l/Cert VSA for the 2013 GX460 we purchases a few months ago. Since it is at the tail end of age for L/cert (to be certified, still has 21 months left of the L/cert warranty) I thought it might make sense to get a few more years of unlimited warranty. Anyone know if there are similar sales incentives for dealerships at the end of the year for the financial products they sell (extended warranties etc.) along with car sales? IOW might they be more willing to deal before the end of the year (3 weeks from now)?
Thanks!
Matt
PS Question is not about the marginal value of extended warranties.

Welp, I just found out that the dealership made a mistake and didn't register the car as L/Certified. Hoping they can correct before the end of the year when the deadline for 2013 runs out. They are very apologetic, but hopefully they can fix. So glad I started asking around about VSAs, that is how I found out that it wasn't registered.

Last edited by CFAI; 12-09-19 at 07:41 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 12-10-19, 08:34 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The L/Cert Warrantee is Not transferable the way the original 4 year/50k, 6 year/70k terms were.
Page 7 of the L/Cert Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide under Warranty Period reads:

This warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner. (bold as written) Goes on to read:
THIS WARRANTY IS NULL AND VOID IN ALL RESPECTS IF YOU PURCHASED YOUR LEXUS FROM
ANYONE OTHER THAN AN AUTHORIZED LEXUS DEALER (Caps as written)
Old 12-16-21, 07:05 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pdmted
There is absolutely nobody that will give you a better price on the Factory Lexus Extended Service Plans than Jerry Johnson Warranty Manager Midwest Superstore 800-530-5789 Cell 620-664-8844 jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Is that who keeps calling me to extend my warranty?
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (12-16-21)
Old 12-20-21, 08:11 AM
pdmted
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
Is that who keeps calling me to extend my warranty?
NO!, the people that are calling you every day are from a Mickey Mouse ‘Insurance Company” trying to sell an aftermarket product that is not worth the paper it is printed on. As I said in my original comments; the one I recommended is through ‘Lexus”, not some scammer. If you were to go to the Lexus dealer that you bought your car from they would also sell you the same service plan as Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore, but it would probably be for twice the price. However this Lexus Service agreement is only available while you car is still in its original 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 12-20-21, 10:21 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

NO!, the people that are calling you every day are from a Mickey Mouse ‘Insurance Company” trying to sell an aftermarket product that is not worth the paper it is printed on. As I said in my original comments; the one I recommended is through ‘Lexus”, not some scammer. If you were to go to the Lexus dealer that you bought your car from they would also sell you the same service plan as Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore, but it would probably be for twice the price. However this Lexus Service agreement is only available while you car is still in its original 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
My comment was sarcasm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jazzrock:
arentz07 (02-09-22), kj07xk (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 12:15 PM
pdmted
Driver School Candidate

CPO Certified Pre Owned is not the same as Lexus VSA. CPO is not transferable, VSA is transferable
Old 12-20-21, 12:55 PM
pdmted
Driver School Candidate

[size=0pt]The original factory warranty 4 years, 50,000 miles B to B and the 6 year, 70,000 drive train belongs to the car no matter how many owners it has as long as nothing has been done to VOID it. A Lexus CPO can only be applied to a used Lexus from the Lexus dealer and is not transferable. It’s important that you understand the warranties and know their coverage’s, please read the warranties and understand the terms. The Lexus VSA from Jerry Johnson has better coverage & terms than a CPO on a used Lexus.[/size]
Old 02-08-22, 07:03 PM
Clem527
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

// What is Jerry Johnson's email address? Does anyone have it? ///
Old 02-09-22, 08:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Clem527
// What is Jerry Johnson's email address? Does anyone have it? ///
I believe it's in the post above... If you go back a page you should see it (or if you have infinite scroll on, just scroll a bit father up).

However, I think your post you made in the 2IS forums is informative on what you're looking for - sounds like it's mainly down to the road hazard warranty since you mention the wheels and tires and the quality (or lack thereof) of roads here in the ATL area.

Quick Reply: Warranty Transferable ???