IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tires 2016 IS 200t F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 03:02 PM
Humminbird
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires 2016 IS 200t F Sport

What would be the best tires for a 2016 IS 200t F Sport?
Old 07-31-17, 03:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

What are you going to do with your IS? Commute? Beat on it on back roads once in a while? I guess what I'm saying is that your ideal tire depends on what you want to get out of the car.
Old 08-02-17, 09:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the newest version if they don't offer it.
Old 08-02-17, 09:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
What are you going to do with your IS? Commute? Beat on it on back roads once in a while? I guess what I'm saying is that your ideal tire depends on what you want to get out of the car.
Not really the case any more. The Pilot Super Sports and its successors literally have no downside.

I guess the only question is do you drive in snow? If so get snow tires. If not, then MPSS hands down. No question whatsoever. Period
Old 08-02-17, 09:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
Not really the case any more. The Pilot Super Sports and its successors literally have no downside.

I guess the only question is do you drive in snow? If so get snow tires. If not, then MPSS hands down. No question whatsoever. Period
I'm sorry, but what about tire wear? Noise? I'm sure if you wanted, you could put some Grand Touring spec tires on and get a quieter, smoother ride at the expense of handling.
Old 08-02-17, 09:58 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the newest version if they don't offer it.
yup
Old 08-02-17, 10:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I have the Super Sports and they are the best street tires for the money. Grip of god, smooth, quiet and lasts pretty good. Tracking it might cause issues but the best summer street tires hands down.
Old 08-02-17, 10:24 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Even though I have MPSS on my is350, I still think they an overkill for these cars. Just not enough power for the grip. I can't even peel out with these. That just shows you how great these tires are. I think you will be happy with Michelin A/S 3+ for all around performance and comfort.
Old 08-02-17, 11:08 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Curious, what is the longest thread life you guys got with the MPSS?

I'm at 20k with the stock tires, need to start looking.
Old 08-02-17, 12:20 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry, but what about tire wear? Noise? I'm sure if you wanted, you could put some Grand Touring spec tires on and get a quieter, smoother ride at the expense of handling.
Yup. When I said everything, I mean everything. Go check out tire rack review. They score it a 9 or 10 on every category. Normally in tires you'll gain grip but lose longeivity and noise supression. Not with this tire. No wonder Ferrari installs them at the factory. As does BMW. Literally the best tire I've ever owned. when my factory tires run out, I'm getting MPSS.

Michelin uses really advanced technology to get the max grip, max wear, lowest noise, best wet AND dry response, feel, etc. Literally no compromise for this class of car.

Now you wouldn't want to put them on a prius. for Prius, corolla, etc (they don't even make them in that size) you'd want a grandma tire w/ hard compound capable of 80,000 miles. If that's what you want for this car, then you've surely bought the wrong car.

ES would've been better for that application. the whole IS platform is meant to be sporty and perform well. it's tuned that way.
Old 08-02-17, 12:26 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Curious, what is the longest thread life you guys got with the MPSS?

I'm at 20k with the stock tires, need to start looking.
Well, just looking at the specs alone the MPSS should last you approximately the double the factory turanzas. But there are few other factors involved such as bad aligments, dynamic toe wear, or modded suspension which can contribute to the wear. If you have a toe wear issue, it really doesnt matter what type of tires you have.
Old 08-02-17, 12:28 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Yup. When I said everything, I mean everything. Go check out tire rack review. They score it a 9 or 10 on every category. Normally in tires you'll gain grip but lose longeivity and noise supression. Not with this tire. No wonder Ferrari installs them at the factory. As does BMW. Literally the best tire I've ever owned. when my factory tires run out, I'm getting MPSS.

Michelin uses really advanced technology to get the max grip, max wear, lowest noise, best wet AND dry response, feel, etc. Literally no compromise for this class of car.

Now you wouldn't want to put them on a prius. for Prius, corolla, etc (they don't even make them in that size) you'd want a grandma tire w/ hard compound capable of 80,000 miles. If that's what you want for this car, then you've surely bought the wrong car.

ES would've been better for that application. the whole IS platform is meant to be sporty and perform well. it's tuned that way.
K, I'm... somewhat skeptical, but I understand that these are exceptional tires. They do seem to be above-average in price however.

For my case, I am probably just going with all-seasons anyway, as I do have to deal with winter and don't have a good reason to convince the wife of buying summer/winter tires when all-seasons have always been good enough. I am probably going to get flamed for that comment...
Old 08-02-17, 12:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

K, I'm... somewhat skeptical, but I understand that these are exceptional tires. They do seem to be above-average in price however.

For my case, I am probably just going with all-seasons anyway, as I do have to deal with winter and don't have a good reason to convince the wife of buying summer/winter tires when all-seasons have always been good enough. I am probably going to get flamed for that comment...
All seasons are great, especially if you live in a place w/ weather. But I believe you (or was it someone else) that asked what the best tire is.

You'll get about 20 more thousand miles on all season tires. But I find that you wouldn't want to put 50,000 miles on a tire anyway because by that time they're hard and cracked and you'll have a whole other set of problems.
Old 08-02-17, 12:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

That's why I wanted the OP to clarify what their driving style is, etc. You can't just say "the best" because Michelin's PSS isn't unambiguously the best when it apparently will have much worse tread life than something like an all-season touring tire. However, if you like driving fast on back roads or need the performance for whatever reason, you're right that there are much more appealing options, since those all-seasons are going to give up grip in the name of better water channeling and different optimal operating temperatures.

For me I wanted a mix of both, so I was considering saying something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. High performance all-season. I've generally heard good things about it.
Old 08-02-17, 12:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

That's why I wanted the OP to clarify what their driving style is, etc. You can't just say "the best" because Michelin's PSS isn't unambiguously the best when it apparently will have much worse tread life than something like an all-season touring tire. However, if you like driving fast on back roads or need the performance for whatever reason, you're right that there are much more appealing options, since those all-seasons are going to give up grip in the name of better water channeling and different optimal operating temperatures.

For me I wanted a mix of both, so I was considering saying something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. High performance all-season. I've generally heard good things about it.
The A/S 3+ is probably better than those Turanzas even though the Turanzas are summer tires. A/S 3+ are pretty damn good...my buddy has them. I still prefer the PSS but its not a bad compromise.

Quick Reply: Tires 2016 IS 200t F Sport