2016 IS Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 04:21 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing

Interior Design

Driver-oriented cockpit design inspired by Lexus LFA supercar.
Dashboard is divided into two distinct zones, a display zone and an operation zone, offering drivers more comfortable, ergonomically ideal interaction with the vehicle’s control systems.
Combination of longer wheelbase and a special front seat design increases rear seat legroom by 1.6 inches
Standard 60:40 split-folding rear seats.
Five interior colors: Black, Light Gray, Parchment, Flaxen and Rioja Red (exclusive to F SPORT)
Soft touch finishes throughout, including padding on the center console sides.
Silver metallic trim analog clock with surface-emitting illumination.
So the 2016 IS models are going to add 1.6 inches more rear leg space than 2013-2015 IS models?
Old 07-31-15, 04:26 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Noeh
The optional leather in my 3IS is so much better than the standard leather in my 2IS
Did Lexus change suppliers???
Old 07-31-15, 04:32 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz
So the 2016 IS models are going to add 1.6 inches more rear leg space than 2013-2015 IS models?
I think that's just restating the difference between 2IS and 3IS.
Old 07-31-15, 05:37 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
I think that's just restating the difference between 2IS and 3IS.
The 3IS leg room were always bigger than the 2IS? I thought they were the same just different engine size
Old 07-31-15, 06:14 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz
The 3IS leg room were always bigger than the 2IS? I thought they were the same just different engine size
yes. much bigger than the 2is
Old 07-31-15, 11:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 2016 IS Line

Originally Posted by tea
yes. much bigger than the 2is
It's the only reason I considered the car. The 2IS back seats were a bad joke.
Old 08-01-15, 05:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Not excited.

Have Lexus call me when they offer an Ultra Luxury Package that includes semi-aniline leather.

Not willing to part with my 2010 that does have it.

Lexus standard leather is crap. And I won't buy a car with fake leather.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if they will offer it in 2017....or just buy a new ES.
i mean, i totally agree that lexus didn't make this sedan available with luxurious enough packages. that said, i still went ahead and dropped my 2IS for a fully spec-ed 3IS with the luxury package even though i wasn't able to get the f-sport model with the luxury package, i chose what was ultimately more important to me. that, and the car has a number of other attributes that pushed me toward it rather than to the competition.

anyhow, i'd grab a gs rather than an es if you want a more well-appointed cabin and also want engaging driving dynamics. the es has a great cabin, and the ride is plush, although it's not very engaging. the gs rides much better, although the looks are just okay, imo. as an aside, the es's mid-cycle redesign looks to be really good -- much better than the current model -- although i don't know when that face is hitting dealerships.
Old 08-02-15, 03:40 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

If the rear differential carrier in the 2016+ IS200t is the same as with previous models, this will be good. I do wonder about the strength of the 8-speed auto they are using with the 2.0T (ie: right at or close to its design tolerances or well under them in this application).

Bringing back a mechanical limited slip option on an F-Sport handling package for this model would make things interesting, considering the competition.
Old 08-02-15, 07:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 2016 IS Line

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
If the rear differential carrier in the 2016+ IS200t is the same as with previous models, this will be good. I do wonder about the strength of the 8-speed auto they are using with the 2.0T (ie: right at or close to its design tolerances or well under them in this application).

Bringing back a mechanical limited slip option on an F-Sport handling package for this model would make things interesting, considering the competition.
The tranny is lifted from the last generation IS-F. It's probably a little overkill for the 350/200t in terms of tolerances.
Old 08-02-15, 09:05 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enoren
I noticed Ultrasonic Blue Mica is coming to the U.S. Is Ultra White Metallic also a new color, or is that available in 2015?
It's USB 2.0 which is slightly different than USB.

It's strange that USB for the 3rd Gen isn't in US because Canada has them.

Last edited by Sango; 08-03-15 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-02-15, 12:39 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by EZZ
The tranny is lifted from the last generation IS-F. It's probably a little overkill for the 350/200t in terms of tolerances.
^^ Thank you! Assuming the tranny ECU or main ECU logic is similar and they include the paddle shifters the IS-F had, that's pretty good and leaves a lot of room for inevitable power boosts from an aftermarket turbocharger, fuel system upgrade and ECU reflashing. I'm sure most buyers will not consider those things but they've now opened the door to people who will with a very nice small luxury sedan that can be tweaked. They should capitalize on this themselves with their F-Sport packaged as BMW does with their own special sport trim level packages and options. The 400+ horsepower or even 306 horsepower of the 3.5L and 5.0L engines isn't needed to achieve this.

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the turbo is responsive, but is harsh -- not something expected from lexus.
Just curious, do you consider it harsh compared to a BMW 2.0TT, Cadillac 2.0T, Hyundai 2.0T or Ford 2.0T? Or even compared to the older SC/GS 2JZ-GE inline-six (which to be fair is obviously a different engine type than a 2.0 four in terms of internal balancing)?

Looked at only in terms of just the overall IS series alone, does it compare in smoothness/harshness to the original 2001-2005 IS300?

Lexus has for years avoided selling their best turbocharged engines in the US even when those engines were designed for the same vehicle bodies they sold here with naturally aspirated engines. Maybe it's the case that this 2.0T isn't their best work as compared to their earlier turbo engines but I see it as very welcome and more interesting than what they've offered from the showroom floor to date below the RC350/IS350 and RC-F/IS-F.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-02-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 02:47 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious, do you consider it harsh compared to a BMW 2.0TT, Cadillac 2.0T, Hyundai 2.0T or Ford 2.0T? Or even compared to the older SC/GS 2JZ-GE inline-six (which to be fair is obviously a different engine type than a 2.0 four in terms of internal balancing)?

Looked at only in terms of just the overall IS series alone, does it compare in smoothness/harshness to the original 2001-2005 IS300?
Well, what do you think? Of course an inline 6 is going to be smoother and more refined than a 4. Not even close. Inline 6's are smoother than V6's.
Old 08-02-15, 08:19 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Sure. We're agreed that I6's are smoother compared to any I4 engine or V6. I just wondered how much the (perhaps very small) gap might have narrowed in terms of NVH between a 1989 engine design (1JZ/2JZ) and a brand new 2014-2015 engine design (8AR) despite their inherent internal balance differences.

A more apples to apples question that might be posed to European IS owners is how the 8AR compares in NVH to the older 3S-GE Beams naturally aspirated four cylinder that the first-gen Lexus IS/Altezza models used in Japan and Europe since that does represent one of the original traits of the IS models.
Old 08-02-15, 08:45 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Lexus has for years avoided selling their best turbocharged engines in the US even when those engines were designed for the same vehicle bodies they sold here with naturally aspirated engines. Maybe it's the case that this 2.0T isn't their best work as compared to their earlier turbo engines but I see it as very welcome and more interesting than what they've offered from the showroom floor to date below the RC350/IS350 and RC-F/IS-F.
of the comparable, contemporary vehicles mentioned, i have only been behind the wheel of a 2.0tt-powered bmw. between the lexus nx and the bmw, i would (subjectively) state that the bmw's power plant is less harsh than lexus' offering.

neither have i had the pleasure of driving older sc/gs lexus models nor the first-generation lexus is.

i came from bmw when i purchased my first lexus -- a second-generation is250 -- and now own a third-generation model.
Old 08-02-15, 08:59 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i mean, i totally agree that lexus didn't make this sedan available with luxurious enough packages. that said, i still went ahead and dropped my 2IS for a fully spec-ed 3IS with the luxury package even though i wasn't able to get the f-sport model with the luxury package, i chose what was ultimately more important to me. that, and the car has a number of other attributes that pushed me toward it rather than to the competition.

anyhow, i'd grab a gs rather than an es if you want a more well-appointed cabin and also want engaging driving dynamics. the es has a great cabin, and the ride is plush, although it's not very engaging. the gs rides much better, although the looks are just okay, imo. as an aside, the es's mid-cycle redesign looks to be really good -- much better than the current model -- although i don't know when that face is hitting dealerships.
I would love a brand new white/Cabernet GS. But I drive 30k miles per year and need good gas mileage--hence why I am considering the ES300h as a great compromise with MPG and luxuriousness. I have a loaner ES300h now....this thing is effing QUIET compared to my 2010 IS250 AWD.

All good points, though in your post! ^^

Quick Reply: 2016 IS Line