IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 IS Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 05:49 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
it is -- the is 250 isn't as slow as widely reported. there's enough power and torque to get you moving rather quickly if you need to to, say, pass a car on the highway or get up to highway speed while entering via an onramp, or make a quick maneuver to avert a potential accident, etc.

it's written about as though it's a smart fortwo or something and it really isn't.
i owned an IS250 for over a year and then traded it in for the IS350. the passing speed on 250 isn't that bad if you start out with 30mph+, but the issue is from stand still, 250 is very slow to get up to speed. that motor just doesn't like to rev.
Old 07-27-15, 08:26 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like Lexus is making some nice upgrades and switching some "gears." I just bought my '14 IS350 for a hell of a deal new in Feb and honesty I'm pretty happy. With these new models we'll have to see how they hold up to the changes/upgrades.

For the people that feel like Lexus "eff'd" them over because their car doesn't have the new "bells and whistles" of the upcoming '16 models....you still have a nice car like others have said. So be proud of it. If you rather have the new one then take the loss and trade it in. At least our cars don't depreciate as much as others. ~just my two cents~
Old 07-27-15, 09:56 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i owned an IS250 for over a year and then traded it in for the IS350. the passing speed on 250 isn't that bad if you start out with 30mph+, but the issue is from stand still, 250 is very slow to get up to speed. that motor just doesn't like to rev.
I feel the same way, especially with full passengers
How much were you able to trade-in for?
Do you mind sharing your deal for the upgrade?
Old 07-27-15, 10:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
i thought about trading in my 250 for a 350 shortly after purchasing it but it would be a huge money loss. the depreciation, while not huge, is substantial enough that thousands would be lost.

if i were to take such a substantial financial loss, i think that i would go for the new c-class with a comprehensive extended warranty. i'm not going to, though -- it's just not a financially smart move.
Old 07-27-15, 11:13 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i was able to get $24k two years ago from a Lexus dealer, carmax offered the same trade-in value, the car had some body damages.
Old 07-27-15, 03:02 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

i thought about trading in my 250 for a 350 shortly after purchasing it but it would be a huge money loss. the depreciation, while not huge, is substantial enough that thousands would be lost.

if i were to take such a substantial financial loss, i think that i would go for the new c-class with a comprehensive extended warranty. i'm not going to, though -- it's just not a financially smart move.
Yeah, it'll probably be a ~$10k (tax included) upgrade.
I'm still debating... since I know I'll be carrying passengers quite often...
C-class is nice, but man... the rear is just unattractive, and I think it's smaller than the IS (experience from being a passenger)

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i was able to get $24k two years ago from a Lexus dealer, carmax offered the same trade-in value, the car had some body damages.
Thanks for sharing. I was quoted $34,000 from Carmax, but even then, I still have to pay quite much for the upgrade....
Old 07-27-15, 03:53 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally the slow and inefficient 2.5L V6 is gone. The 250 was a joke and I can't believe that it took Lexus this long to put a suitable, 4 cylinder engine in there. But where do they get off calling a diluted version on the 3.5L an IS300? I think the midrange option is not needed. Not sure why the turbo isn't offered with AWD.
Old 07-27-15, 03:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yeah, it'll probably be a ~$10k (tax included) upgrade.
I'm still debating... since I know I'll be carrying passengers quite often...
C-class is nice, but man... the rear is just unattractive, and I think it's smaller than the IS (experience from being a passenger)
yep, that figure sounds about right.

i really like the way the latest generation c-class looks. a whole lot is subjective, though, when it comes to aesthetics.
Old 07-27-15, 03:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

i really like the way the latest generation c-class looks. a whole lot is subjective, though, when it comes to aesthetics.
The last gen was okay. I can't get over how much the new one looks like a 96 Taurus. Bland, bulbous, and boring.
Old 07-27-15, 04:41 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Finally the slow and inefficient 2.5L V6 is gone. The 250 was a joke and I can't believe that it took Lexus this long to put a suitable, 4 cylinder engine in there. But where do they get off calling a diluted version on the 3.5L an IS300? I think the midrange option is not needed. Not sure why the turbo isn't offered with AWD.
250 is a great engine despite the weak power though. More than enough for a daily.
I do agree with you on the IS300.... not quite sure why Lexus did that. At least do a 300T... lol

Yep. I'd say go for it if you really like the way it looks
Old 07-27-15, 08:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yep. I'd say go for it if you really like the way it looks
nah, it wouldn't be a smart financial move. i'd lose some 10-12k in the process given that i still owe ~26k on the car and i put down a significant amount -- i would want an equivalent monthly payment. that aside, the lexus IS is a great car and while the 250 might not be the most powerful engine, it is certainly powerful enough for daily city driving and is buttery smooth - the transmission is really quite smooth, too. 0-60 in 7.2 seconds isn't golf-cart status by any means.

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-27-15 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 10:57 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Here is a spec sheet of the new IS line-up
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2016_Lexus_IS_Product_Info.pdf (51.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 07-28-15, 12:23 PM
jellygo
Driver School Candidate

Here is a spec sheet of the new IS line-up
No memory seats on F-sports again
Old 07-28-15, 02:47 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

interesting that designation on both 300 and 350 engines are 2GR-FSE. same fuel economy as the 350, still no point in buying the AWD IS300 in my opinion. great fuel economy numbers on the 200t.
Old 07-28-15, 02:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
interesting that designation on both 300 and 350 engines are 2GR-FSE. same fuel economy as the 350, still no point in buying the AWD IS300 in my opinion. great fuel economy numbers on the 200t.
The case of the IS300 will only be compelling if it is priced well below the IS350 AWD. If it's close to the same cost, then people will just get the 350. If it's priced closer to what the IS250 AWD was, then it should sell quite well.

Quick Reply: 2016 IS Line