IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 02:38 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the pcitures of the is200t, and the engine compartment looks a lot more cramped than the v6.

It also says all the models will have the same brakes, so that's nice. Also the 0-60 is 6.9 seconds, whereas the 2.5 v6 rwd is 7.2 seconds.

So marginal difference in 0-60 time, and marginal difference in fuel economy too. The stated combined fuel economy for city/hwy is 26mpg, which is amazingly what I've been doing in my 2.5 v6 awd.

So the new turbo 4 cylinder, marginally improves over the much criticized 2.5 v6.
Old 07-26-15, 03:24 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CF1LUV
I was looking at the pcitures of the is200t, and the engine compartment looks a lot more cramped than the v6.

It also says all the models will have the same brakes, so that's nice. Also the 0-60 is 6.9 seconds, whereas the 2.5 v6 rwd is 7.2 seconds.

So marginal difference in 0-60 time, and marginal difference in fuel economy too. The stated combined fuel economy for city/hwy is 26mpg, which is amazingly what I've been doing in my 2.5 v6 awd.

So the new turbo 4 cylinder, marginally improves over the much criticized 2.5 v6.
i think Lexus is copying BMW underestimating the performance number for the 2.0T. there will be more than 0.3 second difference between the 0-60 number i'll guarantee you that. the 2.5 V6 is no way getting 7.2 0-60 time i don't care what the magazine says. i have owned a '11 IS250 myself before traded it in for the IS350, 250 is slooooow, slower than the 4 banger TSX i test drove at the time. also, 2.5 V6 is not very fuel efficient at all, i'm getting the same if not better fuel economy in my IS350 now compare to the IS250.
Old 07-27-15, 06:31 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolexus
So...this is pretty much a middle finger to all the recent IS250 owners then. Great job Lexus. You've should've done this ever since the 3rd gen came out and now you do this bull*****?

I'll be even more pissed if the 2016 USDM F-Sport models come standard with fog lights.
not sure how this is a middle finger. they are putting much needed updates into the base engine option.
Old 07-27-15, 06:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
so is matador red mica.
Good catch. That's unfortunate. It's a great color.

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Lexus has released 2016 Product Information Sheets for the IS
the bolded items showing are new for 2016, check out the specs!!!

http://www.toyotanewsroom.com/lexus/is/is350/releases/
Great find! Thanks for posting!

So this is confusing, how many base choices are there for the 2016 car?

~is200t only rwd?
~is350 awd/rwd regular?
~is300 awd with a detuned 3.5 engine? F-sport interior on this model?

So now for the awd you have to get the bigger engine car? Which seems to be a complete 180 on what they have normally done.
I think it's pretty straight forward. All are still available in F Sport trim. If you want the new turbo, you get RWD. This replaces the 2.5 V6 RWD version. The IS250 AWD model has been replaced with the IS300 AWD model. Both of these represent a significant power boost over the old 2.5 liter. So if you want an AWD model, you'll still get a V6, as before, just a bigger one. And of course the IS350 is still available in RWD or AWD.

Originally Posted by Srd555
Weird, The 200t is only 10lbs lighter than the 350 RWD. I thought for sure it would have been alot lighter...3,583 lbs vs 3,593 lbs
I too noticed that there isn't much of a weight savings with the turbo. It'll still be a great model, though.

Originally Posted by Jolexus
So...this is pretty much a middle finger to all the recent IS250 owners then. Great job Lexus. You've should've done this ever since the 3rd gen came out and now you do this bull*****?

I'll be even more pissed if the 2016 USDM F-Sport models come standard with fog lights.
I don't think it's a middle finger to anyone. It's an acknowledgement that the competition is changing and Lexus needs to do the same. When you buy a new car, you should accept that there will be changes over the coming model years. It's not about you. It's about the competition, and Lexus shouldn't stop trying to improve and compete because you feel they owe it to you. Should the people who bought 2013 IS models be upset that the very next year Lexus introduced the 3rd gen IS?

I wouldn't put much faith in those numbers. On the 350, most car magazines were testing the RWD models at 5.6 seconds and the AWD at 5.3 seconds. I think their numbers are conservative. The 6.9 seconds is about what the NX200t does, with the same engine, two fewer gears (which may hurt or help), and an extra 400 pounds or so. The IS200t should outperform that.
Old 07-27-15, 06:47 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Looks like US will finally get USB color.

Eight exterior colors: Eminent White Pearl, Ultra White Metallic (exclusive to F SPORT), Nebula Gray Pearl, Silver Lining Metallic, Atomic Silver, Obsidian, Redline, and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 (exclusive to F SPORT).
That's great....
Old 07-27-15, 06:48 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SummerRain
It's coming out....as the IS-F
I haven't seen any news on a second gen IS F......
Old 07-27-15, 10:42 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by evident
not sure how this is a middle finger. they are putting much needed updates into the base engine option.
exactly, also the writing is on the wall on retiring of the 2.5 V6. recently 250 buyers can blame themselves for not being patient enough or not doing homework prior to purchase. this is the reason i will never buy a new generation during the 1st two years of its release, you just know something good gonna come out midway through the generation. if i'm in the market but not necessary need a purchase now, i'd suggest to wait for the '17 IS, that's the year we get the MMC refreshed IS, maybe a more powerful IS350 motor.
Old 07-27-15, 10:45 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
exactly, also the writing is on the wall on retiring of the 2.5 V6. recently 250 buyers can blame themselves for not being patient enough or not doing homework prior to purchase. this is the reason i will never buy a new generation during the 1st two years of its release, you just know something good gonna come out midway through the generation. if i'm in the market but not necessary need a purchase now, i'd suggest to wait for the '17 IS, that's the year we get the MMC refreshed IS, maybe a more powerful IS350 motor.
don't buy one midway after the refresh, you ought to know something new is coming around the corner with the new generation.

[/sarcasm]
Old 07-27-15, 06:53 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can do a whole bunch of things to change up the power numbers. Using regular fuel, more restrictive exhaust, modifications to the materials of the engine internals such as different cams, cylinders, and changes to the air intake

My opinion is that Lexus removed DI on the engine and lowered the required for regular fuel which is what is making the difference. As to why, I am not exaclty sure as the 2.0t does AWD duty in the NX.

The AWD feature is now electronic wheras the past AWS IS were mechanical. Not sure of facts?

I have never seen Toyota ever detune an engine, and this detune is an engine that is 11 MY years old. It really makes no sense for Lexus not to offer the 2.0t in AWD.
I'm guessing the removed the DI to save cost for this "entry level" AWD car.
Old 07-27-15, 06:59 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

notably no Apple Car play added either... Just put a deposit on a 2015 350 Fsport tonight, doesn't arrive at the dealership until August 20th... its the only White with black interior I can find in Florida!
Old 07-27-15, 07:53 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
don't buy one midway after the refresh, you ought to know something new is coming around the corner with the new generation.

[/sarcasm]
right??? I've been enjoying my IS250 for the past 1.5 years now. I loved how i didnt see an IS around every corner before when i first got the car. There's always something new gonna come along
Old 07-28-15, 08:18 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by tea
right??? I've been enjoying my IS250 for the past 1.5 years now. I loved how i didnt see an IS around every corner before when i first got the car. There's always something new gonna come along
yes, there will always something new, but how often does a model upgrade its powertrain? not that often. some models gone through two generations using the same powertrain. so it is a big thing whenever an upgrade is done underneath the hood.
Old 07-28-15, 08:34 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
yes, there will always something new, but how often does a model upgrade its powertrain? not that often. some models gone through two generations using the same powertrain. so it is a big thing whenever an upgrade is done underneath the hood.
Of course its a big thing whenever there is a change. I'm just saying that you can't always be looking and waiting for that change. Just get it and enjoy it. Besides,the change to the 4 cylinder isn't consider an "upgrade" to some. Only time I'd wait. Is if there is a new model coming out within a few months and I don't need the car right away

Last edited by tea; 07-28-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-02-15, 02:50 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It also says all the models will have the same brakes, so that's nice.
I'd be willing to bet that's a typo.