IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car ignition stalled

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 01:59 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Car ignition stalled

When I pressed the start button the car didn't complete ignition. It seemed like the engine turn over half way then dropped. I had to start the car again and it seems fine. Anyone encountered this? This has happened to me last month also.
Old 07-17-15, 02:08 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

did you release the break too early?
Old 07-17-15, 02:34 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
did you release the break too early?
I did this all too often... yeah, probably let your brake go too early
Old 07-17-15, 02:38 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just unplug your battery? Happened to me when i unplugged it.
Old 07-17-15, 02:38 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Nope I din't unplug the battery.

I thought I was on the brake but I may have let go of the start button too early. You guys hold the start button until the engine turns over completely? I feel so stupid since I've been driving this car and 2IS and never had this happen until recently.
Old 07-17-15, 03:41 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

No. I just hold the brake in and push and release the starter. I still make the mistake of releasing the brake early every once in awhile or put the car in gear before it cranks all the over. Haha
Old 07-17-15, 03:58 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have mentioned you may have let go of the brake too soon or put it into gear too fast before it fully cranked over.
Also I think if you shut it off in drive it will do that half crank message too upon startup, and tell you to put it into park.

Last edited by LexSense; 07-17-15 at 03:59 PM. Reason: format
Old 07-30-15, 07:37 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dogoman,

Funny that this has happened to you as I had read your post last week. This morning, this same thing happened to me. I've owned my 2014 F-Sport for 1.5 years without a single issue. I've loved the car so far. When I start it, I always press and hold the Start/Stop button for about 3 seconds (along with the brake of course) until the car fires up then I release it. I've never had an issue with starting it in the past.

This morning, I did the exact same procedure but the car wouldn't turn over. It tried for a few seconds then died. I waited 30 seconds then tried it again but that time it started perfectly. I'm not sure what the issue is/was but hopefully this isn't the beginning of something wrong with our cars.

I'll keep you guys posted if mine doesn't start again.

Thanks.

Last edited by ancpratt; 07-30-15 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 08:20 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I did this once, let go of brake too early
Old 07-30-15, 09:17 AM
SummerRain
Driver

Happened to me once when I shifted from "P" too fast. I never hold the start button. I just push and release.
Old 07-30-15, 09:43 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ancpratt
dogoman,

Funny that this has happened to you as I had read your post last week. This morning, this same thing happened to me. I've owned my 2014 F-Sport for 1.5 years without a single issue. I've loved the car so far. When I start it, I always press and hold the Start/Stop button for about 3 seconds (along with the brake of course) until the car fires up then I release it. I've never had an issue with starting it in the past.

This morning, I did the exact same procedure but the car wouldn't turn over. It tried for a few seconds then died. I waited 30 seconds then tried it again but that time it started perfectly. I'm not sure what the issue is/was but hopefully this isn't the beginning of something wrong with our cars.

I'll keep you guys posted if mine doesn't start again.

Thanks.
Exactly what happened to me. I felt I didn't do anything wrong, had my foot on the brake and hold the start button, not just push it once. I was afraid there's something wrong with the start button. It's one of those things I do it on regular basis I didn't pay attention whether I had let go of the brake too soon.

Are you going to dealer to report this? I didn't want to go since it's hard to duplicate this issue. So far this has happened to me about 4 times since I own the car, maybe something is wrong.
Old 07-30-15, 10:21 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Exactly what happened to me. I felt I didn't do anything wrong, had my foot on the brake and hold the start button, not just push it once. I was afraid there's something wrong with the start button. It's one of those things I do it on regular basis I didn't pay attention whether I had let go of the brake too soon.

Are you going to dealer to report this? I didn't want to go since it's hard to duplicate this issue. So far this has happened to me about 4 times since I own the car, maybe something is wrong.
This is definitely a hardware issue and not user error. Bring that puppy in.
Old 07-30-15, 11:06 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman

Hi dojoman,

I don't plan on taking it in just yet as it has only happened the one time this morning for me. I just returned from driving at lunch and the car started just fine when I left the office and then when leaving the restaurant.

If it happens again, I'll surely bring it in to have it looked at. I'm betting that we can't be the only ones with this problem if it is one. Lexus will most likely have seen this issue before too from other owners. There may be a service bulletin on their side of how to fix it.
Old 07-30-15, 11:15 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I'm gonna go to the dealer and talk to the shop manager whether they've heard about this issue. I will report back.
Old 07-30-15, 11:23 AM
BossHu
Rookie

I've had similar issues happen on my 2IS350, 3IS350F, and 1RCF. Most of the time, you try to start it again it will go through. And for the times that it didn't click, it means either your battery drained or your battery reached EOL. Sometimes its just too cold.

Quick Reply: Car ignition stalled