IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer is ripping me off!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 02:01 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer is ripping me off!

Hey guys, how much do you think the 20,000 kms service costs in an IS350? My dealer wants USD 750 for the service. Any suggestions? It feels very expensive for just an oil change.
Old 07-15-15, 05:39 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As an example - my dealer wanted $348.00 for front brake pads. I found a local, well reviewed shop that did them for $135.00 using Centric Posi-quiets.
Old 07-15-15, 06:51 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

what are they going to do? did they give you a list?
Old 07-15-15, 07:05 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

not worth it! that's only a minor inspection...equivalent to 12k miles. I had an 03 is300 and only did majors on it and it ran over 276k miles! that minor inspection mirrors about what they did for the free 5k miles service. mainly top off fluids and do the x point inspections, brake measure, tire tread measure, etc.

Last edited by cp2; 07-15-15 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-15-15, 07:16 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

20k km is about 12k. I cant imagine what they would be servicing to cost 750 USD...
They dont call it the stealership for no reason!
Old 07-15-15, 07:17 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the warranty does not get affected by skipping the dealer then don't take it to the dealer for service. Only sevice your car at 40k & 80k km in the dealer as most other services are similar to what cp had said.
I did that mistake by taking the car to the dealer and it appears that they change nothing only checking the car fluids and I ended up paying 560 USD.

Last edited by AMNss; 07-15-15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-15-15, 08:01 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

They told me they were going to replace the engine oil, oil filter, interior air filter and the usual inspection. Pretty basic stuff but they are asking a lot of price for it.

@AMNss do you think it is a good idea to speak to the dealer about skipping this service and whether my warranty will get void?
Old 07-15-15, 08:08 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought here in the US and Canada, the 10,000 and 20,000 mile service is included free by Lexus. So all dealer's here should be honoring that Lexus promotion. However, I don't know if the promotion is offered in the UAE. So, I'd definitely check on that with Lexus, not your dealer. I received a letter during my car purchase that said it's included. Plus, on top of the first 2 services being free by Lexus, my dealer separately gave me the first 6 oil changes for free.

I know Dubai metropolitan area is an expensive place to live, but that price is very, very high for the work that is supposed to be done at 20K. I'm not certain what the price would be at my dealer (if it weren’t already free), but I would venture a guess of $350 - $500 USD. And, personally, I wouldn't even pay $350.

What about just doing the oil change with them? How much does that cost over there? In Miami, FL it costs $79.99 (plus tax and probably shop supplies.)

If I felt I was being ripped off by my dealer, I would hit back. I would ask the dealer to put the estimate in writing and then complain to Lexus directly about the dealer apparently price gouging their customers on service that basically just includes fluid changes and inspection, and is offered completely free in the US and Canada (and possible elsewhere). And state that the dealer is making life owning a Lexus far too expensive.

And as AMNss questioned, considering the laws in US and Canada, taking your car elsewhere to do service will not affect the warranty, especially if you keep all paperwork. The burden is always on the dealer to prove without doubt, when denying a warranty claim, that the damage occurred due to the customer’s neglect. If you do all service regularly and keep the paperwork, neglect will be very hard for them to prove. Besides, I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I assume the dealer still gets paid by Lexus (albeit a pittance) for the labor when doing warranty work.

BTW, AMNss wasn't suggesting you skip the service, just skip doing the service at that dealer.
Old 07-15-15, 08:18 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Too high, get it in writing and complain to corporate. This is less than an hour of work for a dealer. A job like this in the US is often around $50 at a qualified mechanic.
Old 07-15-15, 09:27 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Just to clarify this point, here in the states, Lexus includes the first two service visits are free, these would be the 5K mile or 6 mo and 10K mile or 12 mo services. See image from Lexus site for reference.
Quite right. I remembered incorrectly. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 07-15-15, 11:48 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by waleedj3is
Hey guys, how much do you think the 20,000 kms service costs in an IS350? My dealer wants USD 750 for the service. Any suggestions? It feels very expensive for just an oil change.
My dealer quoted me $330 and I thought that was pretty high. There's no way you should have to pay that much for it unless they needed to replace additional parts beyond the scope of the 20k service.
Old 07-15-15, 02:49 PM
janterry15
Rookie

go to a Toyota certified shop. they won't be able to pull any of that "your warranty is void" crap
Old 07-16-15, 03:19 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waleedj3is
Thanks for the suggestion guys!

They told me they were going to replace the engine oil, oil filter, interior air filter and the usual inspection. Pretty basic stuff but they are asking a lot of price for it.

@AMNss do you think it is a good idea to speak to the dealer about skipping this service and whether my warranty will get void?
You should do it without implying that you will Service the car outside . Additionally if you know any lexus owner in UAE ask him as he may share with you his experience. Anyway your government state the below ( in the picture).
Check the below pic :

These pictures are from the customer & dealer relationship from the government of Dubai.
In my country it is allowed to service your car anywhere. However the mechanic should be trusted and reputable so the dealer cannot relate any issue to the outside maintenance.

As machine13 check with lexus as their warranty policy the best to follow and the dealer cannot go against it, and please service your car even if you do it at another dealer : )

Last edited by AMNss; 07-16-15 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 05:39 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions guys! It feels good to see how helpful the Lexus family is.

I got my car serviced yesterday from another service center as per the owner's manual and the whole servicing cost me less than half of what the dealer quoted, with original Toyota/Lexus parts.

I do not know of any Toyota/Lexus certified shop here in the UAE. The only place the local dealer here recommends is their own workshop, which quoted me the insanely high price. And, all of them have the same rates.

For now, I haven't contacted my dealer about this issue. Although, if my dealer ever makes an issue about the whole warranty thing, I'll make use of the receipts and papers and the tips given by @AMNss. And some luck.
Old 07-16-15, 08:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

we have the magnusson moss act here to protect us, but outside of the US youre more on your own

Quick Reply: Dealer is ripping me off!