IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does Lexus ever do major infotainment interface updates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 11:04 AM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does Lexus ever do major infotainment interface updates?

We all agree that the infotainment is poor . I feel like that while individual aspects of the software work well, the overall system lacks a cohesive experience... Does Lexus have a history of providing major interface updates? Or would a major update even be possible?
Old 07-09-15, 11:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

They'll do updates that are intended to fix issues, but they do not do major updates say from generation 7 to generation 8 style navigation.

When I take my IS in for routine service, I just mention that my nav system is still glitchy and laggy and they'll check to ensure it's running the latest firmware, and if it isn't, they'll update it. It still has issues, but thanks to the updates it's worlds better than it was when I bought the car back in 2013.
Old 07-09-15, 01:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Interface has been nearly the same since the mid 2000s. It's admittedly one of the few weak areas of any Lexus, from the CT to the LS.

The expectation is the next gen LS(MY 2017) will introduce something significantly updated. MY '16 RX looks to have some updates to the existing interface:
Old 07-09-15, 09:06 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've noticed that you can update the Lexus infotainment system while connected to the internet through a smartphone. Is that the same as updating the firmware?
Old 07-10-15, 11:04 AM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Noeh
I've noticed that you can update the Lexus infotainment system while connected to the internet through a smartphone. Is that the same as updating the firmware?
Check with the dealer on that one. I believe it's the same thing.
Old 07-10-15, 11:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Updates to Enform come via the phone. Updates to system firmware are installed at the dealer.
Old 07-10-15, 02:33 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Updates to Enform come via the phone. Updates to system firmware are installed at the dealer.
Quoted for truth, don't get the 2 updates confused guys.

Edit: On another note, Lexus really needs to hire a better UI designer...
Old 07-10-15, 02:37 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
Quoted for truth, don't get the 2 updates confused guys.

Edit: On another note, Lexus really needs to hire a better UI designer...
And software engineers
Old 07-10-15, 03:08 PM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah what a shame. That '16 interface looks pretty sweet. I watched a couple of videos on the 2is interface... it actually looks better imo. It probably works a whole lot better too, considering the touch screen.
Old 07-10-15, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Interface has been nearly the same since the mid 2000s. It's admittedly one of the few weak areas of any Lexus, from the CT to the LS.

The expectation is the next gen LS(MY 2017) will introduce something significantly updated. MY '16 RX looks to have some updates to the existing interface:
Correct, 4RX get's Generation 8.5*, very slight revisions from the current Gen 8 in the CT, IS, ES, GS, LS, RC and GX

LX and MY15 RX still use generation 7
Old 07-12-15, 02:31 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, the 2017 interface looks like a windows 98 while the current one looks like win95... Lexus if you are not able to develop one for your cars, please outsource it or copy from MB or BMW...they are decades ahead

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Old 07-12-15, 01:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably should have mentioned but after my insider drove the Lexus RX in Austria earlier this year he asked if there were any specific questions I wanted answering about current models.

I knew the infotainment is a hot topic in both the UK and US as its somewhat lacking so I asked about it.

Basically the answer given to me was that there is a complete new software going to make it out and will be available for the IS only. It's code named MH13 whatever that means but it's significantly improved. A wait of 6-12 months is expected
Old 07-12-15, 02:02 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Probably should have mentioned but after my insider drove the Lexus RX in Austria earlier this year he asked if there were any specific questions I wanted answering about current models.

I knew the infotainment is a hot topic in both the UK and US as its somewhat lacking so I asked about it.

Basically the answer given to me was that there is a complete new software going to make it out and will be available for the IS only. It's code named MH13 whatever that means but it's significantly improved. A wait of 6-12 months is expected
Would you happen to know if that will be for new models only, or will it update the current gens?
Old 07-12-15, 04:35 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
Would you happen to know if that will be for new models only, or will it update the current gens?
It's an update for current generation IS. It's basically a fix for ALL issues with the IS infotainment system at the moment. Next gen will most likely come with a vastly updated system altogether
Old 07-13-15, 05:10 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The infotainment system is what keeps me from selecting lexus for my next car.

Quick Reply: Does Lexus ever do major infotainment interface updates?