IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Maintenance cost on the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 12:03 AM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance cost on the IS?

1) How often is the maintenance on the Lexus IS?
2) What maintenance needs to be done yearly on the Lexus IS?
2) How much does maintenance cost for the Lexus IS?
3) How much does it cost to replace the wheels on the Lexus IS?
Old 07-09-15, 06:51 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

don't mean to sound ignorant, but these are questions that can easily be found in these boards. if you don't own a lexus yet, information can be found by doing some research.

1) check the owner's manual
2) check the owner's manual
3) first 10k is covered by lexus. all minors and majors- ask dealer or local shop
4) free if you know what you're doing. not free if you're buying after market wheels.
Old 07-09-15, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz
1) How often is the maintenance on the Lexus IS?
Minor service items every 5k miles, oil changes every 10k miles. Most of the 5k items can easily be done on your own.

2) What maintenance needs to be done yearly on the Lexus IS?
Depends on how many miles you drive per year, but as I said above, you're looking at some form of service every 5-10k miles. You should be able to find a recommended maintenance schedule either on the Lexus site or on your local dealer's site.

2) How much does maintenance cost for the Lexus IS?
Depends on whether you do it yourself, go to an independent mechanic, or use the dealer. The most expensive is the dealer, though your first two services, at 5k and 10k miles, are covered by Lexus. All in all, service on my Lexus vehicles has not been more expensive than on my past Acuras and Toyotas.

3) How much does it cost to replace the wheels on the Lexus IS?
I suspect you mean tires, and not wheels? This again varies greatly, depending on the quality of the tire you choose. I'm at about 13k miles on my stock 18" all seasons, and they are showing very little wear. I suspect they'll be good for 20-25k miles before needing replacement. I am budgeting no more than $1k to replace the four with a decent set of all-seasons.
Old 07-09-15, 07:24 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

^^^you're a good man Charlie Brown
Old 07-09-15, 10:45 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
Minor service items every 5k miles, oil changes every 10k miles. Most of the 5k items can easily be done on your own.

Depends on how many miles you drive per year, but as I said above, you're looking at some form of service every 5-10k miles. You should be able to find a recommended maintenance schedule either on the Lexus site or on your local dealer's site.

Depends on whether you do it yourself, go to an independent mechanic, or use the dealer. The most expensive is the dealer, though your first two services, at 5k and 10k miles, are covered by Lexus. All in all, service on my Lexus vehicles has not been more expensive than on my past Acuras and Toyotas.

I suspect you mean tires, and not wheels? This again varies greatly, depending on the quality of the tire you choose. I'm at about 13k miles on my stock 18" all seasons, and they are showing very little wear. I suspect they'll be good for 20-25k miles before needing replacement. I am budgeting no more than $1k to replace the four with a decent set of all-seasons.
I have an 350 f rwd and getting off the terrible oem tires and into conti DWs (summer only) is costing me right at $800 including tires, shipping from tire rack, install, and alignment at dealer.

Dealer was against all odds $150 cheaper on labor then a local tire shop. I have to assume it's a loss leader to get you to buy the terrible overpriced tires but it is not adjusted if you send your own.
Old 07-09-15, 10:54 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

I actually prefer to do the maintenance myself as i dont trust anyone and most of it is so easy its quicker to do in my driveway than it is to drive somewhere drop off and drive back BUT if you care about resale you will need to be document heavy. A nice way to cut down cots a little is to have your local shop stamp (or sign) your log book for the routine inspections when you go for your yearly state inspections (if you have them in your state) and do the easy filter changes yourself.

My local shop does not report to carfax (i think there is a cost) so i just make sure to keep all the service records. When i do air filters, i print out my PO showing its a genuine toyota part and not a cheap knock off god forbid there was ever a warranty issue and they tried to pin in on my lack of maintenance or quality of parts.
Old 07-09-15, 02:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Echoing JDR76, maintenance on the IS is just like an average V6 Japanese sedan. Oil change (twice a year in Canada) and less frequently will be your air intake and cabin filters (every two years roughly). Nothing costly or special to take care of because it's a luxury brand, which makes it a good thing.

Tires of course depends on your driving habit but the OEM Bridgestone Turanaza ER33 (Summer) or EL400 (A/S) will typically last about 20-25k miles and you can find good deals on much better tires for 500-800$ on tirerack, discounttire, carid, even amazon.

Brakes I have yet to change my pads let alone rotors (20k km) so these are not even on my radar for replacement until possibly 60-80k km (year 5 or 6 likely).

Fuel average is 21-23 mpg for this car mixed city/hwy. Takes premium so do the math on what it will cost you.
Old 07-09-15, 02:06 PM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Tires of course depends on your driving habit but the OEM Bridgestone Turanaza ER33 (Summer) or EL400 (A/S) will typically last about 20-25k miles and you can find good deals on much better tires for 500-800$ on tirerack, discounttire, carid, even amazon.
Those are smoking prices. I was just told i needed fronts and the cheapest i could find anywhere were $230 each plus shipping. I ended up doing all 4 and switching brands for only slightly more.
Old 07-09-15, 09:24 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
Those are smoking prices. I was just told i needed fronts and the cheapest i could find anywhere were $230 each plus shipping. I ended up doing all 4 and switching brands for only slightly more.
The OEM ER33 or EL400 tires are so bad, yet they are more expensive than Bridgestone's own top of the line aftermarket tires. Must be a conspiracy to rip people off.
Old 07-10-15, 12:05 AM
lexusplz
Driver

So the most expensive maintenance would be the tires? This is going to be my first Lexus. I'm going to wait until the 2016 model comes out for the IS. Coming from a 1997 Toyota Corolla, I just want to know how much is the maintenance and how much pain it will be to fix the Lexus IS. I want an upscale car and was thinking about the Infiniti Q50, but I rather be safe to stick to a reliable car, so I nailed it down a Lexus.

Last edited by lexusplz; 07-10-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 12:56 AM
steveim86
Driver School Candidate

@Lexusplz

I understand what your going through (currently driving a 02 Maxima). I dont make much so I'm scared thinking about maintenance. Im debating whether to wait on IS 200t or IS 350. I was informed today that 2016 model should be hitting US at the end of September.
Old 07-10-15, 06:46 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusplz
So the most expensive maintenance would be the tires? This is going to be my first Lexus. I'm going to wait until the 2016 model comes out for the IS. Coming from a 1997 Toyota Corolla, I just want know how much is the maintenance and how much pain it will be to fix the Lexus IS. I want an upscale car and was thinking about the Infiniti Q50, but I rather be safe to stick to a reliable car, so I nailed it down a Lexus.
The engine is the same from the last generation (at least in 350 i didnt even look at 250s) and the trans (at least for RWD) came out of the previous generation with 400+ hp so durability is service proven good. Consumables are no more or less then any other average car beyond that point. If you are worried about service cost instead of stretching yourself thin i cant recommend a 1 year old car enough. I got mind for $15k under what it would've stickered at less then a year old and with 20k miles. This car will not require $15k of service in its entire life.

I also saved more buy getting it at a bmw dealership instead of a lexus dealership because being that new the lexus CPO didnt cover more then a couple months at the end of warranty CPO generally carried a $3k premium over non CPO. the BMW dealership just wanted it gone