IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Pulled over by a cop for no lights!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 08:16 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pulled over by a cop for no lights!

Driving home from work around 10pm. Leo started explaining that i had no taillights on but the brakes worked. Ugh, he was right. I came home and found out my parking light fuse under the steering column was blown. I replaced the mini 10-amp fuse with a spare and they started working again. Then later, they stopped working again. Has anyone else run into this problem? Only thing i have installed electronic upgrade wise is after market LED fog lights(which went out with the parking lights but both came back on with the new fuse) and Navi bypass. What could it be?????
Old 07-08-15, 08:41 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic350
Driving home from work around 10pm. Leo started explaining that i had no taillights on but the brakes worked. Ugh, he was right. I came home and found out my parking light fuse under the steering column was blown. I replaced the mini 10-amp fuse with a spare and they started working again. Then later, they stopped working again. Has anyone else run into this problem? Only thing i have installed electronic upgrade wise is after market LED fog lights(which went out with the parking lights but both came back on with the new fuse) and Navi bypass. What could it be?????
Had the same problem as you before. Just one question for you, do you have Takeda or Greddy intake installed? If so it is possible that the bracket frame might have damaged your passenger side headlight wires which is causing shortage. In that case, no matter how many times you replace your fuse, it will blown. check your headlight wires see if it is really the case becuz that's what happened to me last time
Old 07-08-15, 09:02 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the fogs go out when the tails do, then they are on the same circuit. Since they after market, suspect them first. They could be drawing more current than the factory bulbs.
Old 07-08-15, 11:33 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

its probably your fog light wiring bud.
double check that wires are not shorting out to each other or touching anything metal in vehicle.

or what My0Gr81 said, fuse rating cannot handle extra current the Fogs are drawing from the parking light circuit.
Old 07-09-15, 08:25 AM
atomic350
Driver

I do suspect the fog lights as well. I should've tried driving around with the fog lights deactivated for diagnostic purpose but i was just too quick to blame the fuse. I'm going to take them out, replace the fuse again and post the result later! i really hope this will fix it. Thanks for all your input
Old 07-09-15, 01:46 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

you can try doubling the fuse rating since you're fogs are drawing current from that fuse
Old 07-09-15, 02:53 PM
atomic350
Driver

Wasted good amount of time today trying to address the light issue. First thing i did was removed the aftermarket LED fog lights (direct fit which by the way worked fine since the day i installed it 11/13) and replaced the fuse. The parking lights came on for about 5-10 mins then blew the fuse. Ive reinstalled the factory fog lights with a new fuse and same thing. I'll be wasting MORE time now going to the dealer and have them sort it out. Ugh, my first nuisance with a lexus. I wonder what it could be... i hate gremlins!

By the way i did check all the wirings around the takeda intake bracket on the passenger headlight and all the insulations seem to be fine with plenty of room. Even all the wirings for the fog light seemed clean.

Last edited by atomic350; 07-09-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-09-15, 05:07 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm going to point finger at Navi bypass install then.
I bet a wire (illumination) got pinched behind the stereo and is shorting to Ground.

That wont be fun if dealership figures this out themselves
Old 07-10-15, 10:26 AM
atomic350
Driver

Yea i felt the same way.. about the dealership finding out something that was my fault. Plus i hate other people touching my car for something simple. So last night i got a hold of an electrical diagram for the parking light system and put my thinking cap on and did some thorough check-out. During inspection of the passenger side headlight harness, i found a little scruff mark on the wire loom that was touching the takeda/greddy intake bracket for the air filter. It didn't seem to be cut but once i removed the loom and got to look at all the wires. Two black wires were showing copper!!! Looking at the diagram, those black wires run to the passenger headlight marker light....
Wow.. what a gremlin that was and gpxluke was right from the first suggestion! That's the reason i love this forum, we all learn from each others experience and mistakes and can be quiet useful. Thanks everyone for participating, I can save a trip to the dealer now. I've included a picture of the exposed black wires. Those with takeda/greddy intake bracket, be aware of this common problem and make sure you leave the wires clear from that sharp bracket.

image by , on Flickr
Old 07-10-15, 10:56 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

GReddy and Takeda includes a rubber sliver that goes around that bracket to minimizes/eliminates the sharp edges. Don't neglect it guys!

Picture of mine with the rubber sliver.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over by a cop for no lights!-20141214_165421.jpg  
Old 07-10-15, 01:38 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic350
Yea i felt the same way.. about the dealership finding out something that was my fault. Plus i hate other people touching my car for something simple. So last night i got a hold of an electrical diagram for the parking light system and put my thinking cap on and did some thorough check-out. During inspection of the passenger side headlight harness, i found a little scruff mark on the wire loom that was touching the takeda/greddy intake bracket for the air filter. It didn't seem to be cut but once i removed the loom and got to look at all the wires. Two black wires were showing copper!!! Looking at the diagram, those black wires run to the passenger headlight marker light....
Wow.. what a gremlin that was and gpxluke was right from the first suggestion! That's the reason i love this forum, we all learn from each others experience and mistakes and can be quiet useful. Thanks everyone for participating, I can save a trip to the dealer now. I've included a picture of the exposed black wires. Those with takeda/greddy intake bracket, be aware of this common problem and make sure you leave the wires clear from that sharp bracket.

image by , on Flickr
Good to see you have found the cause of it. I did have the rubber seal installed but it's still causing the problem.
Old 07-10-15, 04:44 PM
atomic350
Driver

Surprised to hear that even with the rubber seal it penetrated the wire loom.. i was going to put some electrical tape around the edges. But now I'm going to relocate the wiring harness by removing some of the factory tie downs. Everyone with takeda intake bracket should check their harness too. Mine took about year and a half to show an intermittent problem. I wonder what could've happened if it shorted out some other wires than just my parking lights.. yikes. Aftermarket upgrades come with a price haha