MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very Disappointed with Lexus IS Product Strategy

Ok so the news is out on the MY2016 updates:

- IS200t is rwd only

- Still no IS Hybrid

- IS300 awd using a detuned 3.5 V6 engine

Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer in the world with a massive engineering headcount and they cannot package an awd system, which is a must have for a good portion of North America market, with a 4 banger turbo or 8 speed gearbox or without a weird hump on the driver side of the cockpit!

Apparently they cannot also tune the NA 2.5 V6 to get to 240-250 hp range but prefer to detune an existing engine! Which one is a better fit for a sport sedan for crying out loud? From what I can tell the only benefit of being the largest auto manufacturer in the world is to make reliable cars that is way behind the technology used by the competition!

I am sorry to vent like this but the IS is a great car, which I would very much like to own, but looks like Toyota/Lexus is not giving it a fair fighting chance against the Germans. Lexus gives IS a great chassis and good looks but then less powerful engines with significantly worse fuel economy and no economical hybrid option to compete with German diesel offerings. WTF Lexus?
Old 07-01-15, 10:21 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota/Lexus had me at reliability.
Old 07-01-15, 12:48 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

I believe that there's an is300h, but it's not available in the us. I'm a little butt hurt about some of the options that other countries have as well like getting a blue f sport! I'm sure that those same countries are a little butt hurt that they can't have the led headlamps that we have. there are a lot of things that we could have on a wish list, but the way I look at it...I'm grateful for what I have. it may not be as fast or fancy as some of it's competition, but I'm sure it'll last longer than it's competition.
Old 07-01-15, 05:27 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodyHank
Ok so the news is out on the MY2016 updates: - IS200t is rwd only - Still no IS Hybrid - IS300 awd using a detuned 3.5 V6 engine Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer in the world with a massive engineering headcount and they cannot package an awd system, which is a must have for a good portion of North America market, with a 4 banger turbo or 8 speed gearbox or without a weird hump on the driver side of the cockpit! Apparently they cannot also tune the NA 2.5 V6 to get to 240-250 hp range but prefer to detune an existing engine! Which one is a better fit for a sport sedan for crying out loud? From what I can tell the only benefit of being the largest auto manufacturer in the world is to make reliable cars that is way behind the technology used by the competition! I am sorry to vent like this but the IS is a great car, which I would very much like to own, but looks like Toyota/Lexus is not giving it a fair fighting chance against the Germans. Lexus gives IS a great chassis and good looks but then less powerful engines with significantly worse fuel economy and no economical hybrid option to compete with German diesel offerings. WTF Lexus?
Good points and I agree. The weakest link of 3IS is the engine and also the transmission for AWD (6-speed). For the detuned 3.5L V6 -- the advantage over the 2.5L V6 is discounted by the added weight of the engine. For the hump on the driver's side, it is not too bad. In fact, the way their competitors do with the bulk of the AWD is to sacrifice some storage space under the armrest. Example is Audi S5 AWD --- see the comment at around 9:56.

Last edited by AndyL; 07-02-15 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-01-15, 05:59 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
Had me at high resale value/retention
Old 07-01-15, 06:22 PM
Rasiain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Had me at high resale value/retention
Both of you guys

Naturally Aspirate Engines always last longer

But would like more Spirit in them. Blame that on the Japanese Engineers
Old 07-01-15, 06:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had me at reliability....kept me with style.
Old 07-02-15, 06:40 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Good points and I agree. The weakest link of 3IS is the engine and also the transmission for AWD (6-speed). For the defined 3.5L V6 -- the advantage over the 2.5L V6 is discounted by the added weight of the engine
This couldn't be further from the truth. Little do most people know, the 2.5L and the 3.5L engines are near identical in weight:

IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Service Mass = 397 lbs

IS350 2GR-FSE Engine Service Mass = 399 lbs

Below are the source material direct from Toyota/Lexus:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2GR-FSE Specs.pdf (81.2 KB, 903 views)
File Type: pdf
4GR-FSE Specs.pdf (79.1 KB, 497 views)

Last edited by redspencer; 07-02-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-02-15, 08:51 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
For the defined 3.5L V6 -- the advantage over the 2.5L V6 is discounted by the added weight of the engine.
I guess the 100 HP extra to push the extra 2 lbs could have discounted the 350.
Old 07-02-15, 09:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I guess the 100 HP extra to push the extra 2 lbs could have discounted the 350.
Hahaha. Not surprising. Mid 7s vs mid 5s to 60 is a pretty monumentous difference in speed. The 200t better remain the same price as the 250. A couple thousand dollar increase would surely drive more people to simply purchase the 350.
Old 07-02-15, 12:41 PM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that the naturally aspirated engines last longer but they are also less efficient and powerful. Plus not everyone purchase their vehicles and keep them beyond the warranty. And again the largest auto manufacturer in the world with a massive engineering headcount should be able to use modern technologies without sacrificing core values (i.e reliability, high resale value etc). And why sell IS300h in Eurpoe but not in North America? ES300h or Camry Hybrid are very different cars than the IS so no chance of cannibalization there...
Old 07-02-15, 02:09 PM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you!! Lexus/Toyota reliability and over all style attracted me too the IS. but the lack of power in a six cylinder make me shake my head with today's technology. And, the packaging options, specially in Canada is aggravating to say the least. 45k and no back up camera and NAV in the fsport 1 pkg!!! The Carolla come standard with these features.
Old 07-02-15, 02:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

The 250 is finally being put on ICE because of the blasted Carbon Build up....

Thats whats happens when you are missing the upper injectors to clean it all out (see IS350)

~ Joe Z
Old 07-02-15, 04:12 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why you complaining?

You don't like the product strategy? Buy another car, enough said.

As for the IS300 AWD, they roughly had the same mpg anyway so you get more power with similar economy so what's the problem?

The IS200T comes with the 8 speed. Any half brain would realise the 8 speed probably isn't compatible with the AWD setup, which is why it's being used in RWD vehicles only
Old 07-02-15, 07:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Why you complaining?

You don't like the product strategy? Buy another car, enough said.

As for the IS300 AWD, they roughly had the same mpg anyway so you get more power with similar economy so what's the problem?

The IS200T comes with the 8 speed. Any half brain would realise the 8 speed probably isn't compatible with the AWD setup, which is why it's being used in RWD vehicles only
I agree that Lexus is not for everyone....and I like it that way.
There are so many good cars out there. No problem finding what you like. Just drive em all. I would love more power....but at least I have enough to pass people when I want.
I'm sticking with the Big L.

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed with Lexus IS Product Strategy