IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Very Disappointed with Lexus IS Product Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 08:05 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

An i4 turbo AWD and/or hybrid would be nice, but given there are many brilliant and talented teams within Lexus and millions allocated for R&D, the question becomes why did they not opt for this setup? It may come down to reliability like others have said. Risk analysis and studies may have proven it to be unreliable and there may have been failures in the millions of miles of testing. Who knows, but they did not choose this setup, and had good reason to not push it out now or push it out at all.
Old 07-02-15, 10:04 PM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
An i4 turbo AWD and/or hybrid would be nice, but given there are many brilliant and talented teams within Lexus and millions allocated for R&D, the question becomes why did they not opt for this setup? It may come down to reliability like others have said. Risk analysis and studies may have proven it to be unreliable and there may have been failures in the millions of miles of testing. Who knows, but they did not choose this setup, and had good reason to not push it out now or push it out at all.
Well, the components are there, turbo 4 is already being used in the NX and now the IS (RC and GS to follow shortly). 8 speed auto has been around for a couple of years now. IS300h has been on sale in other markets since the launch of third generation IS. What disappoints me is how Lexus cannot engineer the turbo, 8 speed and awd system together. What disappoints me is Lexus choosing not to bring the IS300h to our market.

I am not saying Lexus is a bad brand and people shouldn't be buying the IS. I am saying the exact opposite. Lexus is a great brand and created a great car with the third generation IS and yet they are not giving it the best arsenal they are capable of to fight against the German competition.
Old 07-03-15, 04:26 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodyHank
Well, the components are there, turbo 4 is already being used in the NX and now the IS (RC and GS to follow shortly). 8 speed auto has been around for a couple of years now. IS300h has been on sale in other markets since the launch of third generation IS. What disappoints me is how Lexus cannot engineer the turbo, 8 speed and awd system together. What disappoints me is Lexus choosing not to bring the IS300h to our market.

I am not saying Lexus is a bad brand and people shouldn't be buying the IS. I am saying the exact opposite. Lexus is a great brand and created a great car with the third generation IS and yet they are not giving it the best arsenal they are capable of to fight against the German competition.
Have a think about this then.

The IS300h in the UK costs £3000 more than the IS250 in any specification. In the US that would also equate to an equivalent $3k if you look at the difference between base ES300h and ES350, possibly more if you take into account that the IS300h hybrid setup is unique to the IS and GS and is not shared with the ES or NX or anywhere else in the Lexus lineup.

The engine from the ES300h is used in the NX300h which is why the NX300h made it to the states and the IS300h didnt.

When you consider that the IS300h would be the same price as an IS350, there will be some form of cannibalization there and when the price of petrol in the States is cheap as chips then why bother?

Here in the UK, where road users get taxed on the amount of CO2 their car emits, the hybrid makes sense, and with our petrol prices twice the price of yours its no wonder the IS350 didn't make it here.
Old 07-03-15, 05:21 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I feel contrarian in some ways, but I really like my IS250 F SPORT. I love the interior. I am just overall happy with the car. It's a lease that I now intend to buy at lease end. 0-60 times don't matter much if you're commuting back and forth to work. I am not sure the difference in fuel economy justifies getting the 250 over the 350, but I think about 3/4 of the IS cars sold in the US are 250s. I got a 250 because you don't need an extra 100 hp to drive back and forth to work.

BMW's ultimate driving machine is just schtick that apparently sells cars. I see quite a few of them with their hoods up waiting for tow trucks. I've also noticed many BMW drivers can't drive for ****, but that could be said of most drivers here in the US anyway, so why discriminate?
Old 07-03-15, 06:06 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
BMW's ultimate driving machine is just schtick that apparently sells cars. I see quite a few of them with their hoods up waiting for tow trucks. I've also noticed many BMW drivers can't drive for ****, but that could be said of most drivers here in the US anyway, so why discriminate?
Really? I haven't seen any.
Old 07-03-15, 06:28 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty17
I agree with you!! Lexus/Toyota reliability and over all style attracted me too the IS. but the lack of power in a six cylinder make me shake my head with today's technology. And, the packaging options, specially in Canada is aggravating to say the least. 45k and no back up camera and NAV in the fsport 1 pkg!!! The Carolla come standard with these features.
Personally I don't understand the popularity of "obsolete a year later" nav systems in cars. I'm glad I was able to special-order the IS350 a car without it. The backup camera should be standard, though (cost me $275 to add).
Old 07-03-15, 08:26 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so the news is out on the MY2016 updates:

- IS200t is rwd only

- Still no IS Hybrid

- IS300 awd using a detuned 3.5 V6 engine

Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer in the world with a massive engineering headcount and they cannot package an awd system, which is a must have for a good portion of North America market, with a 4 banger turbo or 8 speed gearbox or without a weird hump on the driver side of the cockpit!

Apparently they cannot also tune the NA 2.5 V6 to get to 240-250 hp range but prefer to detune an existing engine! Which one is a better fit for a sport sedan for crying out loud? From what I can tell the only benefit of being the largest auto manufacturer in the world is to make reliable cars that is way behind the technology used by the competition!

I am sorry to vent like this but the IS is a great car, which I would very much like to own, but looks like Toyota/Lexus is not giving it a fair fighting chance against the Germans. Lexus gives IS a great chassis and good looks but then less powerful engines with significantly worse fuel economy and no economical hybrid option to compete with German diesel offerings. WTF Lexus?
Thanks for expressing my frustration so eloquently!
I would definitely like to stick with the Lexus brand if the reputation for luxury and reliability was still there. So far, the non lux brands are offering comparable premium materials and fit/finish their line up. The reliability aspect, has not been there for me with my current 3rd gen IS 250, as far as quality workmanship goes thus far.

I've experienced issues with the car, which is a disappointment. An unsatisfying experience.

Maybe, the competition isn't such a bad idea!
Old 07-04-15, 03:09 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Agreed.

It took way too long to introduce a competitive 2.0L turbo to compete with others in this segment.

Not offering the IS 300h in the US is just stupid. Although I wouldn't be interested in an IS 300h, a ton of people would. I've always thought this was a major miscalculation by Lexus.

Not upgrading the ten year old 2GR-FSE V6 in the 350 is a big mistake, but it appears this engine has a couple of years to go before they do something.

Cancelling a 2nd gen IS F was another great idea too. Good job there Lexus.
I would already be in one if they offered it.
Old 07-04-15, 04:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Agreed.

It took way too long to introduce a competitive 2.0L turbo to compete with others in this segment.

Not offering the IS 300h in the US is just stupid. Although I wouldn't be interested in an IS 300h, a ton of people would. I've always thought this was a major miscalculation by Lexus.

Not upgrading the ten year old 2GR-FSE V6 in the 350 is a big mistake, but it appears this engine has a couple of years to go before they do something.

Cancelling a 2nd gen IS F was another great idea too. Good job there Lexus.
I would already be in one if they offered it.
No one would buy an IS300H in the states. It'd be the same price as an IS350 so who would buy it if petrol is cheap as peanuts? There'd be no real reason to buy an IS300H at all.

I agree the ISF was a missed opportunity but it hasn't been ruled out. My source says Lexus may build one.

It's worth understanding that the 2.0l turbo took a while as Lexus have tested it very thoroughly. The smoothness of the Lexus unit is apparent compared to other 4 pots and that will have taken some work to get right.
Old 07-05-15, 06:00 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares about German competition from a consumer point of view? I don't.

I really wanted a car with a v6 engine, coming from many four cylinder cars. It's a smoother operating engine, a nice match for a luxury car.

Who actually cares about a engine producing 100 plus horse power per liter? I don't, go buy a sports car or a actual sporty car. For me I'm taking a break from cars like that.

Personally I got the 250awd, because well I thought the awd would be nifty to have. Also I assumed the 1000cc difference in engine would probably equate to 1.5 to as much as 2 mpg difference in fuel economy. So I was never really interested in the 350, again I also don't care about the power

I'm also thankful that I could get the car I wanted with the 6 speed automatic. At this point I'm assuming the 2.5 engine, 6 speed automatic, and the awd system have been modified and updated over the years. Translation, those components are probably as reliable as they can be at this point in time. A bonus for somebody who does his own work and wants the car for a long time.

Quite frankly I'm glad with the features and decisions from lexus. As I think they're the best for the consumer at this time.