IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Close call

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 07:35 PM
SDxray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Close call

So just thought I'd share because i keep replaying different scenarios in my head right now and I just purchased my 2015 350 fsport about a month ago.

I was driving on one of the major freeways here in San Diego. I was at a spot where the freeway merges with another freeway. I usually try to get all the way over to the fast lane after the merge. This is about 9 lanes if youre coming from the slow lane.

This was in the morning so there were other cars around but not horrible traffic. I was going about 70-75mph. As I was mostly focused on the cars besides me and merging through the freeways, I just happened to spot a metal ladder in the lane I was currently in about 2 cars ahead of me. I saw the cars start to brake/swerve and I quickly made the decision to accelerate and cut off the car to my right (there was a car directly to my left). Luckily the cars in front of me didnt hit it, and i was lucky enough to get to another lane in time.

I cant imagine how pissed I would have been to slam into a ladder on the freeway in the new car...

anyhow, did anyone else in SD happen to drive on the same freeway and see it? 805/5 merge North

Glad it was in Sport + for the extra boost
Old 06-30-15, 07:30 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

close call indeed. I know exactly where you're talking about. my question is, if you know there are going to be a good amount of cars during morning "rush hours," wouldn't you want to be in a more defensive driver mode? I know what you mean when you say you want to get over to the left asap, but you can't trust others on the road...especially when something gets thrown in out of the norm; in this case, the ladder. if I see people ahead of me hitting breaks ahead of me, the first that that does not come to my mind is accelerate and cut off someone to my side! granted I'm not going say you did the wrong thing because I wasn't there and you obviously didn't cause another accident, but there's has to be better situation awareness. hope that obstacle didn't cause any major accidents.
Old 06-30-15, 10:15 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

A ladder... I wish people would be more responsible and tie things down to their car to the point the objects can't breathe.. This would've been such a bad accident and involved many cars. Hopefully no one hit it after you! & luckily you are safe!!

-Josh
Old 06-30-15, 02:37 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live/work right there. Changing lanes like that is dangerous lol. I would have just slammed on the brake.
Old 06-30-15, 04:13 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh close call, glad to hear you got out okay. These situations are EXACTLY why I hate driving in ECO mode. In an emergency situation, there's just too much lag.
Old 07-01-15, 04:35 PM
qhduong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was down in Cali last week and damn, California drivers are crazy compared to this up here in Seattle.
Old 07-01-15, 04:59 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qhduong
I was down in Cali last week and damn, California drivers are crazy compared to this up here in Seattle.
I agree. Not only drivers, but just Seattle people in general.