IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! Can't take off dried sprayed liquid I used that got into my Plastic glass

Old 06-22-15, 02:23 PM
patrickkv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Can't take off dried sprayed liquid I used that got into my Plastic glass

I have a 2015 IS 250 F-Sport that I recently got last month. I bought this Spray that helps keep the new car leather smell called SmartWax Odor Eliminator.
One night I was spraying it on my steering wheel and it went onto the plastic glass where your Tachometer is and I didnt whipe it off and it dried! Now it won't come off at all. I went to the dealership and the guys could not take it off also and I would have to get a new one If I cant take it off.

DOES ANYONE have an idea how to take it off? I guess the liquid just sunk into the pastic and now its like white circles that wont come off :/ It looks so bad. I have pictures. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you have any idea. Thank you!

Old 06-22-15, 02:44 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi I couldn't find any pictures of the ingredients list but the ingredients might include something that is in some way corrosive to plastics. If that is the case, then the little bubbles/spots you see, depending on how long it has been, could be etchs left by the chemical as it reacts with certain plastics.

I suggest seeing if they are actual spots, where you can feel a substance on the plastic, or if they are etchs, little holes/recessed areas where the plastic is no longer. If they are etches you are out luck and will need to get that piece of plastic replaced.
Old 06-22-15, 02:52 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know how desperate you care buy i would at least first try alcohol, that that doesn't work, go with something more potent like acetone. i would suggest to use the choice of liquid to remove that gunk, then immediately after its gone, wipe with water+soap, then water, a lot of it.. and dry out.. be careful with the acetone it is potent.. one night my friend left a wet rag of acetone on the bumper of his jeep wrangler and it striped the paint the next morning.
Old 06-22-15, 06:26 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try using distilled white vinegar on a microfiber cloth. That stuff has saved me a number of times... Here's a link to the brand that I've used in the past:
Amazon.com : Heinz White Vinegar - 32 oz : Grocery & Gourmet Food Amazon.com : Heinz White Vinegar - 32 oz : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Old 06-22-15, 06:44 PM
patrickkv2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot guys for the suggestions, they really help me ease my stress on it. I will try those out!
I felt it and it seems like they are just white spots, but did not feel like there are any holes. So maybe there is still hope to remove it. Thanks again guys!
Old 06-22-15, 09:18 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mr clean magic eraser wouldnt hurt. what does everyone use to clean the interior?
Old 06-23-15, 05:36 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Just a reminder, never spray directly on anything else but wiping cloth. hope you can get those spots off.
Old 06-23-15, 06:00 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

The manufacturer of the deodorant spray is the first place to go. They know their product and can help you the most. I'd stay away from acetone or any other solvent. Good luck and let us know how it ends.
Old 06-23-15, 06:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The plastic on those clear screens is incredibly easy to scratch. I would not use anything abrasive on it. I would start with some warm, soapy water and a very soft/good quality microfiber cloth. If that doesn't take it off, then I don't think you'll be able to remove it without doing damage. Good luck!
Old 06-23-15, 09:04 AM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you wrap that palm rest yourself? if so what product did you use?
Old 06-23-15, 09:08 AM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The plastic on those clear screens is incredibly easy to scratch. I would not use anything abrasive on it. I would start with some warm, soapy water and a very soft/good quality microfiber cloth. If that doesn't take it off, then I don't think you'll be able to remove it without doing damage. Good luck!
Yeah, I'd definitely stay away from the "Magic Eraser" given it's physical properties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
Old 06-23-15, 01:35 PM
patrickkv2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Reeladdict
did you wrap that palm rest yourself? if so what product did you use?
Yeah I did the wraps myself. Just go on Ebay and look for Carbon Fiber Vinyl. I got one from the app WISH, which is called DIY car self adhesive carbon fiber Vinyl for $8 and a 4D from Ebay for $9. Both are good.

I'm gonna try the warm water with soap first and I'll go from there! And let you guys know. I also tried calling the Product customer service and NO ONES ANSWERS.
Old 06-23-15, 01:38 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

you know... that looks an awful lot like wax. does it come off if you scrape it with your nails?
Old 06-23-15, 01:43 PM
patrickkv2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dnasians
you know... that looks an awful lot like wax. does it come off if you scrape it with your nails?

I had a little blade and wanted to see if I could scratch a little off but its really IN there. But when I touch the spots and when i caress the sports from left to right, I can feel it but wont come off with nails or even anything sharp.
Old 06-23-15, 02:59 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn, it hardened to the point you can't scrape it off with a BLADE?! what the hell is this stuff made of?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Can't take off dried sprayed liquid I used that got into my Plastic glass