IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 02:46 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo@TireRack.com
The car has the F Sport wheels and the F Sport body kit- there's no denying that. When you run the VIN, though, it does not pull back an F Sport vehicle. Also, the photos of the stock brakes from your vehicle are definitely non F-sport brakes. I'm not sure if you have a Canadian spec car (or if that would make a difference or not) but we can be certain that your vehicle does not have F-Sport brakes on it.
Sounds like a interesting situation is developing...... I'm gonna go get the popcorn.
Old 06-23-15, 02:58 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Based on the VIN issue. I'm just guessing that Lexus has an F Sport appearance package and and F Sport performance package. Like Mercedes offers AMG appearance and AMG performance. Huge difference there. I suppose that the best way to sort this question out is to contact Lexus corporate. That would eliminate the guessing. Looks to me like Tire Rack stepped up in an unfortunate situation and perhaps they should make a warning note about F Sports. Lesson to me, auto parts aren't as simple as a shoe size, lots of possibilities. Glad they stepped up, too bad you had to go through this.
Old 06-23-15, 03:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Canadian brochure shows IS350 RWD have larger ventilated brakes, but the IS350 AWD does not.

Thank you Theo for getting involved and helping the OP.
Attached Files
Old 06-23-15, 03:05 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Based on the VIN issue. I'm just guessing that Lexus has an F Sport appearance package and and F Sport performance package.
Good guess, but AFAIK the Lexus web site didn't list an "F-Sport Appearance Package" for the 2014/15 3IS. Could be a port/dealer option I suppose, but that seems a bit disingenuous esp. since the OP thinks s/he has a "real" F-Sport.
Old 06-23-15, 03:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Canadian brochure shows IS350 RWD have larger ventilated brakes, but the IS350 AWD does not.
That's very interesting. So it's not an F Sport versus non F Sport issue, it's that Canadian AWD models have smaller front rotors than the RWD or US Spec models. Huh.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-23-15 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 03:48 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue as OP, got them from Rockauto though. So what's the exact part number that would fit the IS350 AWD on the fronts?
Old 06-23-15, 07:18 PM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone confirm that canadian vehicel has smaller rotors than us spec? im planning to swith my rotors to stoptech slotted ones as well
Old 06-23-15, 07:28 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for TireRack for chiming in.
There is no such thing as F-Sport appearance package.
Its either F-Sport package or Non F-Sport.
Rather than saying my VIN doesn't pull up as F-Sport.
I have the LFA gauge cluster and AVS on my vehicle.
Also, IS350 F-Sport AWD or RWD show up with the same part number 120.44184 which TireRack suggested for Non-Sport.
So stop saying I bought the wrong rotors because I input the wrong vehicle.
I am very disappointed on how TireRack handled this situation.
The only explanation I can think of is AWD and RWD does not share the same brake rotors.
See attached photo after I did HOURS of research and found out AWD and RWD have different wheel bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors-20150117_014527.jpg   Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors-awd.jpg   Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors-rwd.jpg   Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors-bearing.jpg  
Old 06-23-15, 07:37 PM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by plutoGK
can anyone confirm that canadian vehicel has smaller rotors than us spec? im planning to swith my rotors to stoptech slotted ones as well
No The Canadian and US model have the same size rotors.
We have compared it side by side.
Same diameter.
I gave my VIN to a Lexus dealer to search for rotors and they came up with
Left: 30040
Right: 30350

Last edited by forum429; 06-23-15 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 08:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

forum429 is right. He did nothing wrong and everything by the book. He ordered the rotors for his car, an IS 350 AWD F Sport exactly as per what TireRack lists. Wrong part was shipped and any reputable vendor will acknowledge the error and resolve the issue. Mistakes happen and thankfully Tirerack is coming through but it should never have had to escalate to this point in this situation with all the evidence provided.
Old 06-23-15, 09:05 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
forum429 is right. He did nothing wrong and everything by the book. He ordered the rotors for his car, an IS 350 AWD F Sport exactly as per what TireRack lists. Wrong part was shipped and any reputable vendor will acknowledge the error and resolve the issue. Mistakes happen and thankfully Tirerack is coming through but it should never have had to escalate to this point in this situation with all the evidence provided.
Agreed, the vendor came through and offered a refund. It should have ended there. The OP seems to be looking for more of an acknowledgement that he wasn't treated right, which based on that one post of email convo, he may be right. Hard to say, without the full history.
Old 06-23-15, 09:21 PM
forum429
Driver

I am fine with a refund but there are 3 issues.
1: TireRack will not accept the refund because the rotors were scratch during installation and found out they did not fit. We found the difference after my mechanic installed the rotors, found out they didn't fit and we started digging in the difference.
Last email from TireRack
The photos you provided of the front rotors that came off of the car look just like the rotors that Centric specifies for a non F Sport model. The decoded VIN description does not mention an F Sport designation.

Rotors can be returned for credit as long as new in box. If there is any damage, we would not be able to credit you for the rotors.

Bxxxxxx Wxxxxxxx | Customer Service Representative

2: TireRack will only arrange pick up with in the States but not Canada.
Why should I take an extra 1hr drive and gas to drop off the rotors across the boarder and yet I have to pay a $7 pick up fee when its not my fault. I paid extra for installing the incorrect rotors and reinstall the old ones.

3: Up to this point with all the evidence they still do not admit it's an application error.
What a responsible vendor should do is they will admit the application error and offer a full refund while they deal with StopTech for providing incorrect application.
Not coming up with this F-Sport Appearance Package but not a F-Sport Package excuse still up to this point.

Last edited by forum429; 06-23-15 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 09:23 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Seems like "goodwill" return because it was brought to the forum. In any case, glad to hear you will be taken care of. Still sucks that it had to go this far to prove your case.
Old 06-23-15, 09:39 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo@TireRack.com
As a goodwill gesture, we are going to take the brakes back and credit you for them.
Wow. I think a goodwill credit is a bit of a misnomer here. More like a "we're still trying to save face credit."

Also, i hope tire rack is willing to give a refund in addition to a credit.
Old 06-23-15, 09:58 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, I ran a VIN lookup on my '15 IS 350 F sport on multiple websites and not a single website made mention of the F-sport option. Are optional packages like that even designated within a VIN number, and would therefore show up in whatever system they're looking it up in?

I wonder if anyone's else's VIN lookup returns that it included the F sport option.

One thing's for sure, I will now never give TireRack a chance after seeing how they handled this.... Including Theo@tireracks response. As helpfull as it seemed, it was still conniving.

Quick Reply: Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors