IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Building a new 2015 IS350 Fsport - What options to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 09:32 AM
cantinoz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Building a new 2015 IS350 Fsport - What options to get?

Hey everyone,

So the car i wanted was sold so I am building a brand new 2015 instead. Could anyone give me insight on what options are a must?

I currently have F-sport package and Nav with ML Audio.

I did want someone to clarify, does F-sport package come with heated steering wheel? on the lexus site it shows you could still add it as an option? but on True car.com the Fposrt package shows it comes with it. anyone could clarify for me so I don't get tricked by the dealer?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-15, 10:23 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe the F-Sport comes with heated steering wheels by standard.... Mine did. Heated and cooling seats should also be a standard. Mine also came with BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) which I think is an option.

And then there's all the other little visual upgrades you can do like spoilers, all weather matts, etc. One thing I would have definitely gotten if I had built mine is the illuminated door sills. Mine didn't come with those so I will have to add them myself soon.

And then there are the F Sport options like intake and exhaust..... which you can get or you can get aftermarket ones.
Old 06-22-15, 10:24 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heated steering wheel comes included on the AWD models. I believe it may be the only way you can get it.

I recommend getting VGRS, it'll also give you power steering wheel which is really nice (the wheel lifts up and tucks in whenever you enter or exit the vehicle). VGRS itself is really nice as well. I didn't get ML Audio but don't really care for it (both the stock an ML systems aren't fantastic). Navi is nice, includes free traffic information via HD Radio (first car in the world to ever have this... my last system depended on an XM Radio subscription).
Old 06-22-15, 10:46 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

My 2nd special order is arriving this week (replacing my 2014 with a 2015). My thought process on a special order car is that you might as well make it special, which, in most cases means ordering almost every functional option which is what I did, because a few hundred dollars saved doesn't mean much (to me at least) on a $50k purchase. I ordered everything except Park Assist (not avail on F-Sport), illuminated door sills (silly for the price they charge), and the exhaust (also pricey and easy to change later).

Having looked at tons of F-sport dealer inventory, I never saw any combinations that shipped with all 3: VGRS, PCS (radar cruise), and BSM. In fact, I didn't see too many cars with VGRS at all.

IMO, for $500 the PCS is a bargain. If you're going to get into an accident it's probably going to be that you rear-end someone. If this feature can save you or your car, then it is worth every penny. I love the radar cruise feature.

I get the VGRS because that includes the power tilt steering wheel, and it's only $400.

The power sun shade is only $200, so might as well get that.

I also think the BSM is worth the money. Love that feature when pulling out of a parking spot blind.
Old 06-22-15, 10:55 AM
cantinoz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see VGRS as an option on lexus's website. is it part of another package? I also don't see adding exhaust and intake options.
Old 06-22-15, 11:13 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

You don't have many options left with F-sport but I would definitely get VGRS and Blind spot monitor, BSM comes with rear cross traffic which I find it extremely helpful backing out of parking lot.
Old 06-22-15, 11:34 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by cantinoz
I don't see VGRS as an option on lexus's website. is it part of another package? I also don't see adding exhaust and intake options.
The Lexus website is crap for building a Lexus. Use Edmunds.com (Build with Options).
Old 06-22-15, 01:44 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the heated steering wheel and if you can wait for it, get the Levinson audio package. Additionally, you can get the ML audio system in the Northeast (however they are extremely rare) but it almost always comes with the Bordeaux interior and either White or Black exterior and there just one equipped that way. Good luck.
Old 06-22-15, 01:45 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azmojo
The Lexus website is crap for building a Lexus. Use Edmunds.com (Build with Options).
That's really sad a third party has a better build site, Lexus needs to fix that ASAP.
Old 06-22-15, 04:18 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It is true that dealer will charge you MSRP as selling if you have special order for

Originally Posted by azmojo
My 2nd special order is arriving this week (replacing my 2014 with a 2015). My thought process on a special order car is that you might as well make it special, which, in most cases means ordering almost every functional option which is what I did, because a few hundred dollars saved doesn't mean much (to me at least) on a $50k purchase. I ordered everything except Park Assist (not avail on F-Sport), illuminated door sills (silly for the price they charge), and the exhaust (also pricey and easy to change later).

Having looked at tons of F-sport dealer inventory, I never saw any combinations that shipped with all 3: VGRS, PCS (radar cruise), and BSM. In fact, I didn't see too many cars with VGRS at all.

IMO, for $500 the PCS is a bargain. If you're going to get into an accident it's probably going to be that you rear-end someone. If this feature can save you or your car, then it is worth every penny. I love the radar cruise feature.

I get the VGRS because that includes the power tilt steering wheel, and it's only $400.

The power sun shade is only $200, so might as well get that.

I also think the BSM is worth the money. Love that feature when pulling out of a parking spot blind.
Do dealers fully charge your special order car compared to car available at the dealer ?

I want to order my car but it seems dealer either said no discount on special order or they are NOT happy to help me with special order at all ?

Last edited by Jrdonta; 06-22-15 at 04:19 PM. Reason: text
Old 06-22-15, 04:53 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdonta
Do dealers fully charge your special order car compared to car available at the dealer ?

I want to order my car but it seems dealer either said no discount on special order or they are NOT happy to help me with special order at all ?
It's true that most dealerships would want to sell you what they have in the lot already just because they can get rid of more inventory.

There are still some rooms you can negotiate the price if you special order a car, but it depends on the dealership and the manager....

I ordered my IS250 with Mark Levinson, and luckily I found a dealership that was willing to work with me on the pricing. Good luck!
Old 06-22-15, 06:04 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrdonta

Dealers seem to HATE special ordering a car and they express this by refusing to discount or deal on them at all. I called around many dealers in AZ, NV, and CA and the best I could get was $800-1000 over invoice. But then I called one dealer and said if you can order me a car at invoice you have a deal and they jumped on it (actually I also got them to throw in tint and key programming also). I probably shouldn't have used that approach but I wasn't sure I was going to be able to improve on the other prices I had been given. It's definitely harder to negotiate on a special order.
If you're in CA (LA area), PM me and I'll give you my salesman's info and I'm sure they'll give you the same deal or better. You passed the 20th of the month deadline (unless they can squeeze one in), the next batch of orders won't go in until July 20... not sure if they will still accept orders for 2015's at this point. Maybe you can order a 2016? Keep in mind they might not deal so much on a 2016, I made my deal in Feb. If you can order a 2016 at invoice in July that would probably be a good deal.

Last edited by azmojo; 06-22-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 12:11 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

In October 2014, I placed my 2015 special order UW/RR at invoice price in CA. I called and they said yes right away (In hind sight I should've started lower, but all other dealers were asking $1k over invoice for that color combo and $1500 below invoice for any other color during that time).

Definitely get:

VGRS: power tilt/telescopic
PCS/Dynamic Cruise control: great safety feature + DCC is awesome.
BSM: worth every penny
NAVI/ML (might as well!)