IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I have a feeling new turbo will dissapoint

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 06:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading all these opinions I thought I'd add mine. Haven't done that lately cause it means little. I've lost the appetite for forum chatter. But this is an interesting subject. I'm going to be as strong as I used to be.

I hate 4 cylinder engines.
I don't agree with Lexus going to them.
Lexus was built on individuality and leadership. Now they are following the pack.
This is a premium brand and I don't understand going to puny engines with hot air. Reliability will be questioned. All they need is to tune the current engine for a little more power in both the 250 and 350. Not a lot. Twenty more hp would be enough for me. I don't care to be driving the fastest car on the street. Just enough to have fun.

Bottom line. All the moves Lexus has made resulted in increased sales. sO THEY MUST KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I'm going to hang back and wait. Hopefully it will work out.
Old 07-09-15, 08:44 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
After reading all these opinions I thought I'd add mine. Haven't done that lately cause it means little. I've lost the appetite for forum chatter. But this is an interesting subject. I'm going to be as strong as I used to be.

Lexus was built on individuality and leadership. Now they are following the pack.
This is a premium brand and I don't understand going to puny engines with hot air. Reliability will be questioned. All they need is to tune the current engine for a little more power in both the 250 and 350. Not a lot. Twenty more hp would be enough for me. I don't care to be driving the fastest car on the street. Just enough to have fun.

Bottom line. All the moves Lexus has made resulted in increased sales. sO THEY MUST KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I'm going to hang back and wait. Hopefully it will work out.
hate them or not. some of them are more fuel efficient, and produce more HP and torque than the 4GR-FSE. end of story. i'll reiterate again that the reality is, this engine was on par, maybe slightly worse than honda's 2.4 4cyl K24 in the TSX from 10 years ago.
Old 07-09-15, 08:52 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A 2.0L turbo also comes with significant tax benefits in other markets.
Old 07-09-15, 08:52 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350

i have the same sentiment. I'd never spend $40,000+ on a 4 cylinder. I'd just stick with the Accords and Camrys if i wanted 4 cylinders.
Old 07-09-15, 09:11 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i have the same sentiment. I'd never spend $40,000+ on a 4 cylinder. I'd just stick with the Accords and Camrys if i wanted 4 cylinders.
Not even a 355HP Handcrafted AMG 2.0L turbo inline-4? that's one sweet engine!
Old 07-09-15, 09:15 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
hate them or not. some of them are more fuel efficient, and produce more HP and torque than the 4GR-FSE. end of story. i'll reiterate again that the reality is, this engine was on par, maybe slightly worse than honda's 2.4 4cyl K24 in the TSX from 10 years ago.
Right, but never mind the cylinders the basically the same displacement, with a zillion other variances in the design.

I'm pretty sure turbos are coming back for fuel economy reasons. At the same time they can accomplish more with a tighter packaging using a 4 cylinder turbo. Its just convenient they can make more power/torque at the same time. It's just how things will be.

kinda like how inline 6's were replaced with a more compact v6, some 15 to nearly 20 years ago generally speaking.
Old 07-09-15, 09:16 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Noeh
Not even a 355HP Handcrafted AMG 2.0L turbo inline-4? that's one sweet engine!
nope. i'm sure it's very fast, but i'd prefer a slower GS350 or E350 in that price range
Old 07-13-15, 02:02 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CF1LUV
Hmm that's very interesting all together. I'd imagine since mine is 2014 250 that the engine has been improved to minimize the damage. Although you're saying the the current 350 is different by having an additional injector per cylinder for cold starts, and the 250 doesn't?
The 350 has both direct and port injection, but it's not for cold starts. They are used simultaneously at lower RPM's and partial loads. DI is used exclusively at high RPM's. I've attached the full engineering white-paper on this engine.
Attached Files
Old 07-13-15, 02:27 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Booster
true, but isn't that a bit telling that buyers who want the most high performance IS from Lexus are taking their 3.5 V6 with 306 hp and pitting it against a 2.0 4T with [supposedly] 240hp and basically they achieve very similar performance numbers on the track and on the street?

Lexus needs to give us a 300T with 350+hp to compete with 335i and S4.
Of course, a 3.5L NA engine will not be as powerful as a 3.0L turbo, and Lexus doesn't have anything with that level of performance. (I find the Lexus ads claiming "the most powerful engine in its class" rather disingenuous, despite BMW's rating of 300 HP vs. 306).

When comparing 3.5L NA V6 to a 2.0L turbo 4, things are not so clear-cut. The turbo will be more efficient and have better low-end torque. However, the V6 will be smoother and have no "turbo lag". Even if the drag-race numbers are similar, they perform very differently.

Personally, given similar performance, I prefer the V6, at least in a "luxury" car.
Old 07-13-15, 03:55 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Not sure if i care for the new turbo or not, is it because i have a 350? I guess ill try to conjure up some thoughts about it.

If we are going to do a comparison to measure how the car performs, the car is fine.

Most of the time you choose two out of the three in life:

Reliable, fast, cheap.

Lexus has found a happy medium and built a reliable affordable car that isnt a rocket but not a slouch either.

You guys have to understand lexus is known for their reliabilty first before anything else and they are not going to throw that out the window.

Sure, if lexus wanted to it could build a bi-turbo v6 pumping 400+ horses easily if they wanted to but how many people would actually buy it? They came out with isf and barely reached sales because true car enthusiasts only make up a fraction of population that can afford it because it aint going to be cheap.

The new turbo will be a little faster because lexus has to keep up with inflation of todays horsepower. HOWEVER, its not going to be anything to write home about. There will be turbo lag which is a negative vs the NA because i love smashing the crap out of the pedal and getting direct power without having to think when the turbo is going to kick in (1-2 secs).

Im still waiting for lexus to turn up the heat and put turbos in their higher performing cars the 350s. I feel like there is a gap in their lineup right just before the the Fs. (AKA everyone in this forum). The is400
Old 07-14-15, 10:25 PM
Megaman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.0t is the future of Lexus; I only hope they introduce a turbo V6 down the road.

In the next 6 months, the 2.0t will officially released in the IS, GS, and RC. Offering comparable performance to the V6, but with much better fuel economy, Lexus has finally caught up to the Germans.

Boost is the future of the auto industry, and Lexus is literally last to join.

I will be trading in my 350 for a 200t, unless a turbo 3.5 variant is released.

The performance of the turbo 4 cylinder (as well as the fuel efficiency) will warrant my switch.
Old 07-15-15, 06:50 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Megaman
The 2.0t is the future of Lexus; I only hope they introduce a turbo V6 down the road.

In the next 6 months, the 2.0t will officially released in the IS, GS, and RC. Offering comparable performance to the V6, but with much better fuel economy, Lexus has finally caught up to the Germans.

Boost is the future of the auto industry, and Lexus is literally last to join.

I will be trading in my 350 for a 200t, unless a turbo 3.5 variant is released.

The performance of the turbo 4 cylinder (as well as the fuel efficiency) will warrant my switch.
unless fuel economy is your main concern or think you can mod the engine due to it being a turbo, i don't see the benefit in doing this... even then, it will take a long time before you recoup the difference between the loss on your trade in and the fuel economy savings of the new 200t.

The 350 still has more HP and doesnt even weigh that much more than the 200t engine.
Old 07-15-15, 07:29 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

the only people who will be disappointed are the ones who had high expectations. I remember when the rumor first started about a turbo'd 3is. yes, it was something to get excited about, but we haven't seen a 300+ hp Toyota turbo motor since the 2jz-gte. I'm not going to lie, I was excited myself at the time. but it wasn't until recently we learned that this motor was only a 4 banger w/ turbo. not to say that Toyota didn't do a good job w/ those either cause the 3s-gte was dope too! long story short, w/ the disappointment of the lack of power and gas mileage the 250 was getting, this 2.0t is just a suitable sub for it. the 350 will still do it's thing. if later down the road Toyota/lexus decides to do a v6 turbo (that's comparable to what the 2jz (yes I know it was an inline 6) or Nissan's rb26 did), that's when everyone will drop their drawls and stand in line like a legit Jordan retro release. otherwise, this 2.0t is just a way to move on from the 2.5L motor.
Old 07-15-15, 07:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default I have a feeling new turbo will dissapoint

Originally Posted by evident
unless fuel economy is your main concern or think you can mod the engine due to it being a turbo, i don't see the benefit in doing this... even then, it will take a long time before you recoup the difference between the loss on your trade in and the fuel economy savings of the new 200t.

The 350 still has more HP and doesnt even weigh that much more than the 200t engine.

I agree. Makes no sense on many levels. Fuel efficiency is better but this isn't a car where fuel efficiency is the primary focus. In terms of performance, my bet is the 350 will spank the 200t.
Old 07-15-15, 07:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think the 200t will be great, and if I had an IS250 I would consider it a very worthy upgrade. However, the only way I'd trade out of my 350 into a 200t is if the 200t was available with a manual transmission. And since it isn't...

Quick Reply: I have a feeling new turbo will dissapoint