IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DIY Backup Camera Install Question...

Old 06-20-15, 07:49 AM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Backup Camera Install Question...

So up here in the great white North of Canada the fsport 1 package doesn't come with a back up camera. they want 4k more for the f2 package. Not worth it for a back up camera.

So I pose this question to all.

I want to install an aftermarket camera and be able to display it on the oem screen using the a/v function.

After some research this is what i have come up with and wondering if it will work?

So the camera i'm looking at using has an rca video cable that comes with it to feed the signal up to the dash. grab power off the tail reverse lights to activate and power camera.

Now the hard part. getting that video to display on the screen. So i'm guessing i need a beatsonic module to bypass the park function (Beat-Sonic BB6223)? and utilizing the Beat-Sonic AVC38 Audio Video RCA Input Cable Harness to get the video to the screen?

In essence i guess it's like adding a DVD player or displaying an iphone. Instead of an actual player it will display the camera feed? I will have to choose the a/v mode function to see the camera when i'm backing up?

this will look OEM. I don't want a rear view mirror display or have a separate screen display just for the back up camera.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-15, 08:09 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

For now this is the only way until someone figures out the pin out of the connector. There's definitely a dedicated video pin for backup camera. I have the same setup except I'm using as front view, backup camera came with package. I have video override box from Prestigious Society installed.

Last edited by dojoman; 06-20-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-20-15, 03:51 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the EWD for the Navigation/Backup Cam if anyone needs it.
Took a quick look for it while I still have TIS access :P
Old 06-21-15, 05:40 AM
leoben
Rookie

You don't need the a/v input to display the rearview camera.
It's easyer than you're expecting.
You can find all the information in THIS thread
Old 06-21-15, 07:19 AM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leoben
You don't need the a/v input to display the rearview camera.
It's easyer than you're expecting.
You can find all the information in THIS thread
I pulled the trunk liner off and I don't see a harness that can be plugged into? Some of the links in that tread provided are not working.

My initial thought was just a plug and play install as I thought that the wiring harness would at least be there in the trunk.
Old 06-21-15, 10:29 AM
leoben
Rookie

Originally Posted by Smitty17
I pulled the trunk liner off and I don't see a harness that can be plugged into? Some of the links in that tread provided are not working.

My initial thought was just a plug and play install as I thought that the wiring harness would at least be there in the trunk.
There's a special connector, I try to find some pictures... That thread is a bit old and Invencar.ru removed the link for the instructions...

EDIT: No pictures found... You have to find a black 5-pins connector (with only 4 wires connected), in the center, right behind the licence plate. If you cannot find it, remove the cover and take a picture, i'll show you where you can find it.

Then follow this connection:

pin 1: +6v
pin 2: +video
pin 3: -video
pin 4: -6v
pin 5: not connected

Use pin 2&3 for the signal, and use the rev lamp for the 12V of the camera.
Once you connect the camera, the system starts working (you put on reverse and the display shows you the image from the camera).

Last edited by leoben; 06-21-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 01:05 PM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

These seem to be the only wires I see not connected to anything. they are taped up and caped from the factory.

Old 06-22-15, 05:06 AM
leoben
Rookie

You haven't that connector...

In my car, it is in the center between the two you have highlighted...
Old 06-22-15, 06:57 AM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess i'm back to my original plan. You would think Lexus/toyota would use the same harness on the cars.
Old 06-22-15, 12:59 PM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
For now this is the only way until someone figures out the pin out of the connector. There's definitely a dedicated video pin for backup camera. I have the same setup except I'm using as front view, backup camera came with package. I have video override box from Prestigious Society installed.
dojoman. Do you have press a switch button to activate your video override box or is it always activated? Says the switch isn't applicable for toyota/lexus on their webpage.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-15, 01:03 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty17
dojoman. Do you have press a switch button to activate your video override box or is it always activated? Says the switch isn't applicable for toyota/lexus on their webpage.

Thanks.
No, it's always activated there's no switch to activate. Since I have the camera hooked up to A/V port I do have to switch over to that source in order to see the camera feed. For the backup camera it would nice to activate it in reverse but not sure how that can be achieve without splicing wires.
Old 06-23-15, 05:10 AM
leoben
Rookie

This is another picture for the connector (already used by the cam).
The connector is white, not black...

Old 02-03-18, 01:16 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

Well, I have the connector in my trunk (it's 6 wires and not 4 though, confirmed with wiring diagram), connected my eBay cam I just received, and nothing... Nothing happens when putting the car in reverse..

​I tried the camera using the A/V port and it does work... So I guess there's something more needed somewhere!

EDIT: just tested out the wires and I'm getting no power on the connector when putting the car in reverse. Also, reading my owner's manual, there was something about having options for the camera in the setup menu, I don't have these... (2015 Canadian IS350 F-Sport series 1 (no nav))

Last edited by Answer; 02-03-18 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 11:08 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

Finally, I does work!
The test wires I was using weren't long enough to make good contact I guess, and the power delivered at the connector is infact 6v and not 12v. That wasn't helping make the camera work!

Last edited by Answer; 02-10-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 07:39 AM
821najreg
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I found this thread and installed an universal camera but there is a problem, when selecting reverse the camera works but there is a message “system not ready”.

I found and used the connector in the trunk but mine has 5 wires. I could not find a wire with 12volts on this connector only one with 6 volts. To power the camera I have connected the camera to the reverse lights so it gets 12volts. For the video signal I have used the appropriate pins of the connector.

In short, I have the image from the camera but with the message “system not ready”. Does someone no what the problem is? There are no fault codes in the system.

I hope someone can provide the sollution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Backup Camera Install Question...