IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How do I get the invoice price for a IS250 F sport online?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 11:52 AM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the invoice price for a IS250 F sport online?

Hey y'all,

I'm researching pricing for a 2015 IS 250 Fsport package with Nav. So far dealers have given me a MSRP of $43,499.00 in the Houston, TX area.
I tried Edmunds but it doesn't give me a pricing based on the Fsport with nav. Any suggestions where I can get the invoice price so that I can use it to start lowering the MSRP numbers with the dealers?
Old 06-18-15, 12:11 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

is this a trick question? build one on the lexus site
Old 06-18-15, 12:20 PM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp2
is this a trick question? build one on the lexus site
I'm talking about getting the invoice price not the MSRP pricing.
Old 06-18-15, 12:33 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

On Edmunds.com main page:
Enter Lexus, IS250, 2015 --> Go
"Build With Options"
"See All 4 Options" (Make a Selection)
Then choose your options
Then click on "Get True Market Value Pricing"
Old 06-18-15, 12:41 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Option #1 - Build your vehicle with options at www.edmunds.com.

Option #2 - Ask your dealer kindly to see the invoice on a particular car on their lot. It is normal practice for them to show you an invoice upon request, however, some dealers may not let you walk out with a copy, and some dealers may.

Always remember that invoice price is not what the dealers paid for the car. Their "invoice" price does not reflect hidden dealer rebates, year-end volume rebates, manufacturer incentives to the dealers, bank financing rebates, etc.

Also, increasingly so in the last several years, as consumers have gotten more savvy about asking to see the dealer invoice, manufacturer's and dealers have colluded to increase the prices shown on these invoices, reducing the percentage of gap between invoice and MSRP, and then risen the hidden rebates back to the dealers to help dealers keep their margins.

Make sure to use this knowledge when negotiating with your dealer.
Old 06-18-15, 12:52 PM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. I'll try the TMV.

I'm gauging for a number where I can feel comfortable purchasing or leasing the car.
Old 06-18-15, 01:06 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

It's almost the end of the 2nd quarter so they may have sales goals to meet. Set $2000-2500 under invoice as your goal, but $1000 under invoice wouldn't be unreasonable (plus any rebates or certificates) if you absolutely can't get them any lower. Then in addition to this you would pay sales tax and license, and any optionals/extras such as tint or warranty).

I think given that it is the 18th of the month, I'd start getting quotes via email from your local dealers, but walk away and tell them you're shopping around. Then wait... I bet they start to follow up with you and let them know the best offer from a competitor that you have and ask if they'll do better. But don't bite. Wait. See what happens and then be ready to cut a deal on the 29th or 30th.
Old 06-18-15, 01:11 PM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azmojo
It's almost the end of the 2nd quarter so they may have sales goals to meet. Set $2000-2500 under invoice as your goal, but $1000 under invoice wouldn't be unreasonable (plus any rebates or certificates) if you absolutely can't get them any lower. Then in addition to this you would pay sales tax and license, and any optionals/extras such as tint or warranty).

I think given that it is the 18th of the month, I'd start getting quotes via email from your local dealers, but walk away and tell them you're shopping around. Then wait... I bet they start to follow up with you and let them know the best offer from a competitor that you have and ask if they'll do better. But don't bite. Wait. See what happens and then be ready to cut a deal on the 29th or 30th.

got it thx bud.
Old 06-18-15, 01:19 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer949
I'm gauging for a number where I can feel comfortable purchasing or leasing the car.
There are many ways to work numbers, but one way I've been taught is to simply shoot for a selling price of 13% off MSRP, or better. 13% off MSRP and you'll likely be getting a better deal than average.

My '15 IS 350 F-Sport deal on an MSRP of $46,014 was $44,000 OTD, which was a selling price of around $40,000 give or take about $50. I'd have to re-check my paperwork to be exact. My deal came out to 13.1% discount off MSRP.
Old 06-18-15, 02:13 PM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

So the initial MSRP price of $ 43,499.00 minus 13% = $ 5654.87 which ends up at $34,844.13.

How should I request for the discount? Say something like.. " can you bring down your quote down to $.... "
Old 06-18-15, 02:22 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Or you can build your car online through Truecar and see what cars around your area are going for. Also remember that Truecar doesn't add all fees like delivery charges and such..

-Josh
Old 06-18-15, 02:32 PM
Surfer949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Or you can build your car online through Truecar and see what cars around your area are going for. Also remember that Truecar doesn't add all fees like delivery charges and such..

-Josh
Hum.. I just put it in Truecar.com and it's giving me a price of $$42,555, that's without the premium package on a Fsport. Not much savings there..
Old 06-18-15, 06:54 PM
dk01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machine13
There are many ways to work numbers, but one way I've been taught is to simply shoot for a selling price of 13% off MSRP, or better. 13% off MSRP and you'll likely be getting a better deal than average.

My '15 IS 350 F-Sport deal on an MSRP of $46,014 was $44,000 OTD, which was a selling price of around $40,000 give or take about $50. I'd have to re-check my paperwork to be exact. My deal came out to 13.1% discount off MSRP.
Machine13,
I agree. If you can get 12-13% off msrp then you will have a great deal. Don't worry about invoice, just try and get 12-13% off msrp. From what I've read here and some other places that seems to be a great number.

Start with 13.5 -14% off msrp and work your way down. Don't go any lower than 13%. Tell them that's your final offer. But depending on how bad you want the car, if the difference bet. your offer and his is $300-400 then you might just want to split it with them. It will be very hard for the salesman to let you walk out the door.

And as azmojo mentioned earlier, the end of the quarter is coming up and they have to make their numbers.
Old 06-18-15, 09:26 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dk01
Machine13,
I agree. If you can get 12-13% off msrp then you will have a great deal. Don't worry about invoice, just try and get 12-13% off msrp. From what I've read here and some other places that seems to be a great number.

Start with 13.5 -14% off msrp and work your way down. Don't go any lower than 13%. Tell them that's your final offer. But depending on how bad you want the car, if the difference bet. your offer and his is $300-400 then you might just want to split it with them. It will be very hard for the salesman to let you walk out the door.

And as azmojo mentioned earlier, the end of the quarter is coming up and they have to make their numbers.
+1 on your and Machine13's buying philosophy. I used to be one who focused on "invoice" pricing but over the past 8-10 years with the increased use of online vehicle shopping, dealers have had to adapt to regain their advantage over buyers. In my opinion (and I think others agree), there are ways the dealers can play games with the "invoice." I have personally experienced this. I now focus on using msrp (with no dealer add-ons) for negotiating and assessing the quality of vehicle pricing quotes. My view is this makes the invoice pricing virtually irrelevant because if you negotiate a price on a vehicle that is similar to the better deals that have been reported and those deals are a similar percentage off msrp, then you'll automatically be where you want to be in terms of what the actual invoice price is. But most of us have to speculate what actual invoice is - but there is no speculation needed when dealing with the actual piece of paper that is physically affixed to the vehicle's window by the manufacturer as required by law.
Old 06-19-15, 06:32 AM
dk01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
+1 on your and Machine13's buying philosophy. I used to be one who focused on "invoice" pricing but over the past 8-10 years with the increased use of online vehicle shopping, dealers have had to adapt to regain their advantage over buyers. In my opinion (and I think others agree), there are ways the dealers can play games with the "invoice." I have personally experienced this. I now focus on using msrp (with no dealer add-ons) for negotiating and assessing the quality of vehicle pricing quotes. My view is this makes the invoice pricing virtually irrelevant because if you negotiate a price on a vehicle that is similar to the better deals that have been reported and those deals are a similar percentage off msrp, then you'll automatically be where you want to be in terms of what the actual invoice price is. But most of us have to speculate what actual invoice is - but there is no speculation needed when dealing with the actual piece of paper that is physically affixed to the vehicle's window by the manufacturer as required by law.
i couldn't agree more

Quick Reply: How do I get the invoice price for a IS250 F sport online?