IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

Old 06-08-15, 12:57 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

Trying to be unbiased I came to several conclusions quickly on this loaner. But before I get to that let's go back to the 9am appointment.
Upon entering I was greeted by no one. Standing there I told my wife I'd go ton the men's room and be back quickly. Upon returning I see that she was being helped. Good. The application to fix the fuel lines under a recall was handled quickly and out the door they scooted us to the LOANER. Did a quick walk around and noticed some idiot had stenciled his initials into the front left driver side fender. Immediately the lady knew who did it. The previous kid who had the car as it was his initials. This won't end well I thought. The Lexus service lady was a bit upset understandably.
Getting in my wife put the seat^^UP^^ all the way and I noticed that it couldn't go any higher due to the head rest hitting the roof. Yes, she's a pixie. She favors the RX350 adjustability much more as in her words "you can see everything" when the seat is lifted all the way up. I have to agree. Being a passenger from the dealership to home allowed me a moment to reflect on the "waterfall" type arrangement of the dash. Still attempting to stay neutral I thought this could have been better accentuated if their were different textures or colors that highlighted certain aspects of the dash. As it was we were given the all black interior which made everything bland. The clock I really liked while the nav/entertainment seemed to be an afterthought. By having the nav screen be navigable by some joy stick it become a bit more impersonal than a touch screen. That seemed to me of Lexus having an don't get close to me attitude. As if you want Lexus to do something use a joy stick & don't touch me attitude.
Using the enform guidance system as SHARP static came into play. Highly annoying to say the least.
Making it home I took over and we decided to go to brunch. The ride is JARRING around city streets while highway was really nice. But around town that car transferred all the road bumps to the driver & passenger.
Even my adult daughter in back commented on how rough & stiff the ride was. Also entering and exiting became an acrobatic drill. I'm not a big guy coming in at a healthy 5'10 220 . As you can see in the photo it would become annoying very quickly trying toget in & out. THIS is why I got rid of the Mazda6. Too small of a driver door.

Gladly I'll be giving this car back and get into our big swinging door of IS350.
Attached Thumbnails So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....-img_20150608_112134550.jpg  
Old 06-08-15, 02:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Did a quick walk around and noticed some idiot had stenciled his initials into the front left driver side fender. Immediately the lady knew who did it. The previous kid who had the car as it was his initials. This won't end well I thought. The Lexus service lady was a bit upset understandably.
It's amazing how some people will treat a loaner. Ugh.

Getting in my wife put the seat^^UP^^ all the way and I noticed that it couldn't go any higher due to the head rest hitting the roof. Yes, she's a pixie. She favors the RX350 adjustability much more as in her words "you can see everything" when the seat is lifted all the way up. I have to agree.
The sportier seating position of the IS is not for everyone, though it is one of my favorite aspects of the car.

Being a passenger from the dealership to home allowed me a moment to reflect on the "waterfall" type arrangement of the dash. Still attempting to stay neutral I thought this could have been better accentuated if their were different textures or colors that highlighted certain aspects of the dash. As it was we were given the all black interior which made everything bland. The clock I really liked while the nav/entertainment seemed to be an afterthought. By having the nav screen be navigable by some joy stick it become a bit more impersonal than a touch screen. That seemed to me of Lexus having an don't get close to me attitude. As if you want Lexus to do something use a joy stick & don't touch me attitude.
Using the enform guidance system as SHARP static came into play. Highly annoying to say the least.
I have the all black interior and love it. I think the nav screen is located perfectly. You don't have to look down at it the way you do on a 2IS. As for the joystick, I have it both my IS and my RX, so I have lots of experience with it. There's a learning curve, but now that I'm used to it, I would never go back to a touch screen again. It becomes second nature, and you don't have to deal with the fingerprints.

Making it home I took over and we decided to go to brunch. The ride is JARRING around city streets while highway was really nice. But around town that car transferred all the road bumps to the driver & passenger.
Even my adult daughter in back commented on how rough & stiff the ride was. Also entering and exiting became an acrobatic drill. I'm not a big guy coming in at a healthy 5'10 220 . As you can see in the photo it would become annoying very quickly trying toget in & out. THIS is why I got rid of the Mazda6. Too small of a driver door.

Gladly I'll be giving this car back and get into our big swinging door of IS350.
Interesting that you found it jarring. It's definitely not cushy, but I would never describe it as jarring. I wonder if the dealership had the tire pressure hiked up.

I'm not a big guy (5'10", 160 lbs) so I can't compare, but ingress and egress is easy for me. When I first got it (I came from a Tacoma) the interior felt tiny. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't feel small at all. Once you get your seat in the right position, life is good.
Old 06-08-15, 02:20 PM
sumohax0r
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? they are basically the same car aside from Engine and suspension tweaking. Not sure what you're talking about door and seat wise.
Old 06-08-15, 02:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by sumohax0r
What? they are basically the same car aside from Engine and suspension tweaking. Not sure what you're talking about door and seat wise.
He has the IS350C (Convertible). Bigger doors.
Old 06-08-15, 02:32 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Or you could move the seat back. I'm the same height less weight, no issue getting in and out, but I also have telescoping steering wheel.
Old 06-08-15, 02:43 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

I don't mean to offend, maybe because I'm Canadian, but 5'10 at 220 lbs isn't exactly lean, and the 3IS is known for its sporty, wrapping cockpit. I admit it could be small for some people.
Second, maybe getting rid of the gangsta lean would help (i-e pushing the seat back and the backrest to a more vertical position). Also with your headrest in the middle of the back window for sure you'll find the backseats cramped.

Side note : 2IS was known for its inexistant rear legroom, 3IS has improved, but maybe the BMW F30 is best for you? Its interior is definitely bigger.
Side note 2 : my RWD IS350 has auto-tilting steering wheel that steps out of your way when you turn the car off, and comes back to its position when you turn it on. I didn't think it was useful, but after getting used to it, it's a feature I can't live without now.
Old 06-08-15, 07:54 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I don't mean to offend, maybe because I'm Canadian, but 5'10 at 220 lbs isn't exactly lean, and the 3IS is known for its sporty, wrapping cockpit. I admit it could be small for some people.
Second, maybe getting rid of the gangsta lean would help (i-e pushing the seat back and the backrest to a more vertical position). Also with your headrest in the middle of the back window for sure you'll find the backseats cramped.

Side note : 2IS was known for its inexistant rear legroom, 3IS has improved, but maybe the BMW F30 is best for you? Its interior is definitely bigger.
Side note 2 : my RWD IS350 has auto-tilting steering wheel that steps out of your way when you turn the car off, and comes back to its position when you turn it on. I didn't think it was useful, but after getting used to it, it's a feature I can't live without now.
Lol. I'm definitely not petite but not fat either. People see me and are surprised at my weight where most of it falls on my cycling legs. I tried moving the seat forward but that further restricts my ability to get in & out. The entrance area becomes even smaller. But to touch on the telescoping wheel which I have in both other cars they do get out of the way when the vehicle is turned off I agree, is a must. On this loaner it's fixed and my legs do bump up against the steering wheel getting in & out.
As for the seat itself I wish they made the side bolsters around the lat area adjustable and have them flare out a bit. I know I was in a car that had this ability forgot which. If you weight lift just a little and have modest lats this seat will become uncomfortable. Also one should not have to tuck in your chin to your chest to avoid getting your head chopped off entering the car. The seat is in the lowest position possible but sitting in it, my head from the neck up is on the roof line thus having to tuck. Messes with THE DEW. Totally not cool. :P

Last edited by rxonmymind; 06-09-15 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 08:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it's funny. i felt the same way about the RX loaner i had. Sad to say that I was pretty disappointed in the RX. I actually gave the loaner to my dad to drive around since he was considering getting one, and he didn't like it much as well. I think it might just be the fact that loaners are usually trashed, which the RX i had was. Somebody earlier mentioned the tires might have had too much air in it. I don't know what it was, but i was glad to be back in my IS. I do agree that it's a chore to get in and out of the car, and i'm not even as big as you guys.
Old 06-08-15, 08:29 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's amazing how some people will treat a loaner. Ugh.

Interesting that you found it jarring. It's definitely not cushy, but I would never describe it as jarring. I wonder if the dealership had the tire pressure hiked up.
I'll take a look at the tire pressure. Jarring is perhaps the wrong word. Choppy is another I'd describe it. But there is no mistaking the transfer of the road to the frame through the seat to you. My daughter didn't care for the ride in the back. I tried the various electronic settings of eco and normal which didn't seem to make a difference. Sport? Was out of the question. However I did like it's handling capabilities on smooth roads & curves. Handling was superb.
Old 06-08-15, 08:53 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take a look at the tire pressure. Jarring is perhaps the wrong word. Choppy is another I'd describe it. But there is no mistaking the transfer of the road to the frame through the seat to you. My daughter didn't care for the ride in the back. I tried the various electronic settings of eco and normal which didn't seem to make a difference. Sport? Was out of the question. However I did like it's handling capabilities on smooth roads & curves. Handling was superb.
Eco, normal or sport don't make a difference suspension wise unless the car has AVS, which I think only top of the line IS350 fsport has. Having had 3 generation of the RX, there is no comparing the ride between the two, for good reasons. The IS is a sport sedan, it is meant to feel connected to the road. They should have given you an ES as a loaner, it would have been closer to the feel of the RX but without the bloated bouncy feeling and lots of room front and back.

The IS350C is also a different beast, the added weight of the chassis reinforcement make it more like touring coupe than a sport one.

Last edited by My0gr81; 06-08-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 12:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Eco, normal or sport don't make a difference suspension wise unless the car has AVS, which I think only top of the line IS350 fsport has. Having had 3 generation of the RX, there is no comparing the ride between the two, for good reasons. The IS is a sport sedan, it is meant to feel connected to the road. They should have given you an ES as a loaner, it would have been closer to the feel of the RX but without the bloated bouncy feeling and lots of room front and back.

The IS350C is also a different beast, the added weight of the chassis reinforcement make it more like touring coupe than a sport one.
You hit the nail on the head. The IS convertible is in fact a nice touring car while not as cushy as the RX it definitely isn't as harsh and choppy as this IS250. This has been my whole concern with Lexus creating the entire line as "Sport". If this vehicle is any indication of what the others in Lexus line up is going to be like then I have ZERO desire to own one. But you indicated that the ES is closer to the RX? Maybe the GS even? Hopefully the LS is a comfortable ride also. In the mean time I'll stick to my two babies. After this experience the IS350C offers a nice balance between sport and cruising. A great touring car.

However, I'd like to surprise her with a good new car and the ES or GS will be considered.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 06-09-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 06:37 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

As for the seat itself I wish they made the side bolsters around the lat area adjustable and have them flare out a bit. I know I was in a car that had this ability forgot which.
I know the F30 has that option, plus its seats are already less wrapping than the 3IS's.
Old 06-09-15, 07:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

The IS is a sports sedan. It should offer the firm but nimble handling experience. By the way, the IS is probably the most cushy of the cars in the segment. The GS is probably also going to be firm riding as it's supposed to also be a sports sedan.

The RX, ES, and LS fill the land boat cushy ride segment
Old 06-09-15, 10:39 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sumohax0r
+1 That is my reaction.

I'd have to look again but as far as I know, the overall size and dimensions are about, if not exactly, the same.

Edit: Should've looked closer - didn't know it was being compared to a 2ISC - apples to oranges IMO.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 06-09-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 10:42 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
He has the IS350C (Convertible). Bigger doors.
I'd like to see him getting in and out of the back seat of that with the front seat not pushed all the way forward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....